It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Rainier

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Recent Mount Rainier Earthquakes...

Last year there were 4 seismic events for the entire 12 months.

This year in just 8 months we have had 16 seismic events. 7 events just in the last 20 days.

I just read that the early dectection system which gives a 40 minute warning has been reajusted to just 5 minutes.

How do you evacuate seatle in just 5 minutes?

www.ess.washington.edu...

[Edited on 21-8-2003 by energy_wave]

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Shiiii$
I am dead.
I work and live close to it.
lol

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
....to let them know that they should put their heads between their knees and kiss their @$$ goodbye,since thats all they would be able to do in five minutes.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by uNBaLaNCeD
....to let them know that they should put their heads between their knees and kiss their @$$ goodbye,since thats all they would be able to do in five minutes.

bull$hiz
I've got this!

Oh nevermind...

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   
LOL!

When MT Rainier blows, Seattle is toast. Mt Rainer has been getting slightly more active in the past few years. It blows, and it will trigger tsunamis, earthquaes, and the columbia river will flood, screwing up Portland really basd.

But really, guys, it blows, it blows. I sit now and look at it out mu back window, it looms. Even in the summer, it is wonderous to watch wih pinks and reds in the sunset. So, i can only hope that beautiful image will be my last when it finally decides to blow and vaporize me.

Besides, you cant evacuate seatle in 5 months, let alone five minutes: everyone in this damn town is so stoned they probably wouldnt even realize it blew!

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I have long been thinking that Mt. Ranier is the next major eruption risk, although compared to Yellowstone its rather small. (No offense Fury...)

Keep in mind, Mt. St. Helens wasnt that damaging because its slope failed on the side facing away from populated areas... call it luck.

Basically, what led to Mt. St. Helens eruption was that one side proceeded to "inflate" laterally (parrellel to the ground), until it was distended to the point that it could no longer support its own weight, at which point it collapsed vertically, which released the contained the magmatic pressure.

The eruption was equivalent to 20-25 megaton nuclear blast.

www.olywa.net...

Assuming an eruption of the same magnitude, oriented due north (towards Tacoma and Seattle) Tacoma would likely suffer the most severe damage, however due to the distance it would likely recieve some pyroclastic flow but not much of the blast wave. Seattle would likely be too far away to be severly damaged, although it would likely recieve very significant ashfall.

Not to diminish the explosive potential during an eruption: most likely, any people or lifeforms between Mt. Rainier and Tacoma not protected in a substantial bunker would likely be killed outright by the pryoclastic flow.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Skadi,

If you live that close to Mt. Rainier, might not be a bad time to take another trip to the UK...

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Mount Rainier Volcano Lahar Warning System

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Recent news.
Mount Rainier called a threat...

stacks.msnbc.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
that the last 4 seismic events were all in one day...the 16th of this month.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   
i'm between tacoma and the devil goddess .

better make dee volcano happy.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Dude, might want to think about relocating...

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Dude, might want to think about relocating...

nah, i'll just sacrifice a virgin

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Well, not going to argue with your intentions, but look at it realistically.... what are you chances of finding a virgin in Seattle????

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Well, not going to argue with your intentions, but look at it realistically.... what are you chances of finding a virgin in Seattle????

Duh. microsoft is quartered here.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury

Duh. microsoft is quartered here.

OK I stand corrected... Make it Bill Gates????

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:33 PM
link   
that may be an acceptable sacrifice. lmao

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Seriously dude, if you are that close, I would suggest a trip into Seattle proper, or further if you can make it.

Same goes for your Skadi.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Seriously dude, if you are that close, I would suggest a trip into Seattle proper, or further if you can make it.

Same goes for your Skadi.

I live in port orchard and work in federal way.
chances are if it doesn't erupt when i'm at work, i'm straight.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:38 PM
link   
DR, I wanna stay so i can see Fury throw half of Microsofts staff into the volcano
besides, Ive been through earthqaueks, hurricanes, tornados, floods, wildfires, riots, ect, havent been through a volcano yet

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
DR, I wanna stay so i can see Fury throw half of Microsofts staff into the volcano
besides, Ive been through earthqaueks, hurricanes, tornados, floods, wildfires, riots, ect, havent been through a volcano yet

I have been through hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, riots, and even a mag 2.7 quake... but I dont want to be around a pyroclastic eruption that could have upwards of 20 megatons yield...

Dont know you that well Skadi (or Fury), but dont want to see you guys go in a permanent way yet!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join