It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mount Rainier

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
DR, I wanna stay so i can see Fury throw half of Microsofts staff into the volcano
besides, Ive been through earthqaueks, hurricanes, tornados, floods, wildfires, riots, ect, havent been through a volcano yet

I have been through hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, riots, and even a mag 2.7 quake... but I dont want to be around a pyroclastic eruption that could have upwards of 20 megatons yield...

Dont know you that well Skadi (or Fury), but dont want to see you guys go in a permanent way yet!

$hiii, If a volcano could kill me, it'd be the only thing that could.

looking at the flow charts on usgs it looks like i'd be ok.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Just make sure you have those last wills and testaments filled out correctly boys and girls

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Also, keep in mind that the pyroclastic blast wave does not necessarily follow topography.

Mt. St Helens pyroclastic flow covered 6 square miles, and the flow was in excess of 1500 degrees. When it erupts, it is AIRBORNE, and at least for a couple of miles or more will extend out straightline and then come down in a parabolic arc. Everything inside that fan shaped spread will die....

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The last time Mt Rainier erupted, the pyroclastic flow reached the puget sound, 45 miles away. so, basically, anhything between Tacoma and the big boy is gonna get buried and burnt. And, like DR said, the arc of the ash and gases and # will fall everywhere and incinerate Seattle. Yeah, it will be a mess.

But, of course, I have hardly any fear of death left in me. And besides, flying to the Uk wouldnt be a good idea.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 22 2003 @ 09:51 AM
link   
California, the pacific coast. Same thing, same basic zone. California has logn know its gonna get smacked by a wicked earthquake of terrifying magnitude. This we have known for a while.

When the quake of 89 hit the bay area, I remeber the news casters telling us that people clear down in Phoenix saw ripples in thier swimming pools, and phoenix is 700 miles away.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:12 am

I am an ecologist and run a native plant business. I was up on Snoqualmie Pass yesterday (Sept 25) collecting seed for my native plant clients. Looked at the mountain and noticed much of the northwest side of the mountain has lost its snow and ice. I would guess about 1/5th the mountain side.

Called a friend who works in the Tacoma Watershed. He confirmed my observation and told me he was told it was because of the hot summer.

I have a degree in ecology. It is a simple matter to realize that the Northwest side of the mountain is the coldest and wettest side of the mountain. If the loss of snow and ice was a result of weather, it would be the SE side of the mountain that would go bare. The SE side gets direct sunlight and is on the east 'dry side' - in what we ecologists call the rainshadow. The NW side is the side that gets all the snow and rain and has NO DIRECT SUNLIGHT and it is this cold wet side that is going bare... the side pointing directly at Tacoma and Puyallup.

I have not heard a thing about Mt Rainier this year (of course I have been busy) and would think this would be all over in the press. I think something is going on and the press I think is suppressing this information for fear of the effects on the economy of Seattle and Tacoma. Politics playing with peoples lives. No need to panic, but folks should be getting prepared when this type of observation is made.

Would appreciate some other folks looking up on the NW slope of Rainier and confirming what I am seeing.

Just wanted to give folks a heads up.

Ken Boettger
Ellensburg, WA

www.hraunfjord.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join