It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Google Feature Incorporates Satellite Maps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Late Monday night, Google began offering satellite pictures in there searches. This feature allows people to zoom in an out of homes and businesses. Google recently bought Keyhole Corp. a digital map maker for undisclosed amount. This new technology will allow users to access satellite images for free with the click of the mouse. While some critics say this is a great idea some say it is and will be an invasion of privacy.

abcnews.go.com
SAN FRANCISCO Apr 5, 2005 — Online search engine leader Google has unveiled a new feature that will enable its users to zoom in on homes and businesses using satellite images, an advance that may raise privacy concerns as well as intensify the competitive pressures on its rivals.

There is little reason for people to be paranoid about the satellite maps because the images generally are six to 12 months old, said John Hanke, Keyhole's general manager. "And it's not like you are going to be able to read a license plate on a car or see what an individual was doing when a particular image was taken," he said.

Google believes most people will like the convenience of generating a satellite image with a few clicks of a computer mouse. The company envisions people using the service as a way to scout a hotel's proximity to the beach for a possible vacation or size up the neighborhood where an apartment is for rent.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a great idea. I just used it and it works great. There are many images available to look at. I can see how it can be an invasion of privacy but I think people will except it. I think its nice because it offers the same images that other websites offer but Googles will be free.
images.google.com...

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.ecommercetimes.com
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I tried the site this morning. Google needs to update their mapping programs, because the street I was looking for was in the wrong place and what was shown is at least 3 years old. I never did get down to the actual imagery, but I know it's there. I have used the original software on a trial basis and found it to be reasonably reliable.

[edit on 4-5-2005 by MasterCoyote]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
That's cool, i searched for New York, then switched to satellite photos and zoomed into the Statue of Liberty. It looks quite impressive. Also looked at the pentagon and that monument in Washington.
Shame its only for America and not for the UK

maps.google.com...

[edit on 5-4-2005 by nibiru]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Wow this is why I love google. Its amazing.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm gonna check that out. Though if it's like the Mapquest sattelite maps, they're out of date..seriously out of date.

I checked the one for the office here, last year. It showed a flat concrete slab where our second building has stood for the two years previous we'd been occupying the property, and the building was built almost a year before that. our 5 story parking structure was nothing but a gravelled space.

Not much threat to privacy if the shots are three or more years old. I'm gonna see how bad they are now.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The imagery is well over a year old. There's no sign of the riverfront work that was started almost two years ago.

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
I'm gonna check that out. Though if it's like the Mapquest sattelite maps, they're out of date..seriously out of date.

I checked the one for the office here, last year. It showed a flat concrete slab where our second building has stood for the two years previous we'd been occupying the property, and the building was built almost a year before that. our 5 story parking structure was nothing but a gravelled space.

Not much threat to privacy if the shots are three or more years old. I'm gonna see how bad they are now.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I havn't checked it out, but it sounds to me like they are using regular keyhole, and not pro. This has been around for some time now, and was if I'm not mistaken, a military version in the early days. I've heard of the keyhole from the mid - late 90's before it was introduced to the public.

Very interesting Google now has this, along with the phone and address search option.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It looks cool, I typed in my address and can see my apartment building.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I found Edwards AFB and it is pretty clear. I can zoom in all the way. Has anyone found AREA - 51 yet? You really have to know your geography... there are no cheat lines--

Originally posted by ADVISOR
along with the phone and address search option.

That is really cool. I didnt know it had that feature as well. I know yahoo has it. Have you used the Google one? I cant seem to find it.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The non-satellite maps are cooler to me. On the satellite map i can only zoom in far enough to see the big buildings, like the store my parents own or the giant church on the highway. With the "Drawn" maps, i can zoom in far enough to make out the tiny "bay" infront of our house, right down to the part that my neighbors filled in. Theyre far more detailed, atleast for this area.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Google keeps getting better and better. It keeps upping the anty to the other search engines, and we win because of it.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Event Horizon
Has anyone found AREA - 51 yet?

I found it, took a while. For anyone who wants the easy option and doesn't want to spend ages searching, here is a direct link:
maps.google.com...,Nevada& ll=37.257042,-115.819244&spn=0.158958,0.250626&t=k&hl=en

I foung this quite interesting, directly to the west of Area 51 there are loads of funny little craters or hills. Anyone know what it is? Or what it is for?
maps.google.com...,Nevada& ll=37.028475,-116.022663&spn=0.039740,0.062656&t=k&hl=en

maps.google.com...,Nevada& ll=37.132587,-116.038456&spn=0.079479,0.125313&t=k&hl=en

maps.google.com...,Nevada& ll=37.140226,-116.135788&spn=0.039740,0.062656&t=k&hl=en

Take a look at this huge crater
maps.google.com...,Nevada& ll=37.178679,-116.046696&spn=0.009935,0.015664&t=k&hl=en

[edit on 5-4-2005 by nibiru]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nibiru

Originally posted by Event Horizon
Has anyone found AREA - 51 yet?

I found it, took a while. For anyone who wants the easy option and doesn't want to spend ages searching, here is a direct link:

Pretty funny that for some odd reason you can't zoom in all the way, and the closest zoom is all blurry......

I foung this quite interesting, directly to the west of Area 51 there are loads of funny little craters or hills. Anyone know what it is? Or what it is for?

That is pretty interesting......nuke test site maybe??

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   

While some critics say this is a great idea some say it is and will be an invasion of privacy.

Invasion of privacy? These critics don't know their head from a hole in the ground. Google is not the first to do this.

I guess no one has ever heard of Microsoft Terraserver, considering it has been on the net for a helluva long time. It may not do directions and location searches like Google's, but it definitely has more detailed photos by far! All you need is to zoom to your location, or put in an address.

terraserver.microsoft.com...

[edit on 4-5-2005 by EmbryonicEssence]

MBF

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I foung this quite interesting, directly to the west of Area 51 there are loads of funny little craters or hills. Anyone know what it is? Or what it is for? nibiru]

Underground nuke tests.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Isnt there a show coming out soon on the military channel called, "Red Flag Over Nellis or Thunder Over Nellis?" Its going to show how they practice carpet bombing the range. The big crater...that must have been a huge bomb.

Yeah the area-51 photo looks really over exposed...uh huh Im sure that was accident too.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Anyone check out the capital building? That and a few buildings adjacent to it have been pixel blurred (where the pixels are enlarged). Why would they cover those buildings up but everything else, even area 51 are exposed. We all probably know the clear reason, but if we were in any threat, why leave the other buildings exposed too. If they gonna coverup, they should at least not make it obvious.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by makavelli]

[edit on 6-4-2005 by makavelli]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Google needs to work on that big time you cannot zoom to level 4 or below for my area and some others.

What I could zoom into did not look at all like the intersection should. This could be like others have noted the imagines may be out of date. That being the case why even release it with a big fan fair when it is broke from the get go?

Perhaps once they get it fixed it will be fine who knows

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
no big deal, this just saves lazy people time. Phone #'s with adresses have been in THE PHONE BOOK for years........

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by nibiru...Take a look at this huge crater

VERY interesting - just one thing, is it a crater or a dome?? As I look at it it seems to be "raised" (like a wast heap??) rather than a depression in the ground?? Fascinating nevertheless!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join