It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm excited about jury-duty. Am I crazy? Advice and experience on the matter sought.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

Most folks try everything they can to get out of jury duty. It affects your work, school, family life by tying you up for as long as it takes. Even though they have to allow you, your schooling, job and home life take a direct hit because of the time that come be involved. Plus, you cant go home, to school, friends etc...and talk about it or what happened during your day(s).

One time I was selected after being called and interviewed, but twice I was interviewed and released from selection. The one time stands out. I will paraphrase some of it here to give you an idea.

"You are un-employed, right? Why don't you work? So, what do you do all day? How much television do you watch? Did you vote in the last election? How about voting in your county-county elections? What did you do last weekend? Stay home? Go out? Do yard work? So, you didn't apply for any jobs last week? Why not? (or Why DID you?)".

"Have you ever known someone who has been arrested? Did they go to trial? Were you aware of the verdict? Do you think it was correct? You've seen Star Trek right? The television series? The movie? Did you think it was real? Are you a church goer? Why? Why not? Have you got a valid drivers license? Ever been in an accident? Whose fault was it?"

"How much reading do you do? What topics interest you? How many movies do you watch a week? A month? In a year? Are they all the same kind? Do you have a dog? How do you feed him without a job? You live with your parents you've said in your initial questionnaire for this jury selection?"

"Do you think its right that you live with yor parents, aren't working, and they pay for you to live there and pay to feed your pet?"

So, you see...it can get nonsensical and have no relationship seemingly to the case youre being considered for. And one side or the other...based on your answers, can decide against you because in the end...you could hurt their client and get them convicted.

Point in case: By the above hypothetical answers...they can assume the following about you (hypothetically)
1. Youre unemployed, live with your folks and they pay the bills for you and your dog.
2. You watch a lot of tv and movies...Star Trek just one of them.
3. You've got some friends who were convicted of crimes and you thought it was wrong for them being convicted.
4. You don't really do anything all day, and on Sunday, hardly ever go to any type of church-temple-synagogue,
5. You don't read much at all, and if you do, its sci-fi or westerns.
6. And you didn't apply for any jobs while you are still living with your family for over the last couple months.

These are all of course made-up, hypothetical and ridiculous...but these are used to get the right person to get their case in their favor...or in the others favoring a conviction.

Either side has a say...and youll never know why they ask the questions they do...so the inconvenience of work, home, job, time, questions asked in the interrogatories....this is why most folks try everything they can to get out of jury duty...because of the inconvenience.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

Now, most people see this as a nuisance.

Here is why. My husband when last two times he was called, had to skip work and leave all the workers short handed show up in the early morning at the court. He was there among about 50-70 others called. They sat and waited until the Judge and Lawyers showed hours later, they sat through each possible juror being questioned by both lawyers, hearing the same questions over and over until they selected 12 persons...this took the whole day, which included an hour lunch break which he had to wait through...then he was told he could go home.

I was selected for the jury once and the other time after whole day of their selecting process was selected and sat in the box with the others selected while they finished the last few, after that whole day and whole process, the one lawyer said juror number 6 dismissed...that was me, no explanation after I had been selected and sat there for hours...the whole process is demeaning and stupid.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Food can be a plus.

You got food! We got nothing, had to ask for water!

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by ChuckNasty

Food can be a plus.

You got food! We got nothing, had to ask for water!

Sorry to hear that.

Looks like they were prepared for an easy verdict!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join