It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 4 Americans Apparently Unaware the Earth Orbits the Sun Read more: 1 in 4 Americans!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
On another thread I've had a member patiently teaching me about space travel and the specifics of this. If this member were not so patient and non-judgmental I would not know what I do now - either because I would feel embarrassed and not take the discussion further, or because I would look into on my own - perhaps getting unreliable or one sided information. Even though I'm disturbed by these findings we can all do something about it.

If we come across someone who doesn't know we should be kind and show an interest in enlightening, clarifying, and empowering. Self efficacy (ones sense of competence) is either lacking or misdirected too often in today's world. We want critical thinkers as our partners in society right? I know I do - it's getting scary out there.

As people become more educated their self efficacy increases, and they become passionate about searching for their own answers - and thus will get involved. Very few are incapable of learning, just don't care, or are too defensive to let anything challenge present beliefs. The rest - while they may wax and wane out of not caring or defensiveness want to know more. As a society we need to bring these numbers out of the red.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Can somebody post the link for the teat... I am a old fart and could find it ...Thankyou!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This actually has more to do with what we are and are not learning in school than religion. I heard a talker ripping into this one the other morning. It seems that about 40% of the responders who didn't know about the proper earth/sun relationship identified as Democrat.

So, instead of wacking people for religion or politics, I'm going to chalk this up the lousy state of American public education in general and the lousy attitudes most people have towards their own education.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

I call BS. I do not know a single person who isn't aware the earth orbits the sun. At least, I don't think I do...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Proof that the American education system is a farce. Isolationist mentality.

World history, other cultures and countries ignored in favour of teaching kids US history and bloody feet inches and gallons.

That coupled with all the rabid religious #e rammed down their throats it's no wonder the simple mechanics of the solar system is beyond their understanding.

Dull grey bovine minds that don't ponder anything beyond their own front door.

Moo.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Well i'm sure the Vatican and Jesuit order will be ecstatic over that fact, if indeed it is true!

Galileo Galilei and Nicolaus Copernicus on the other hand will be rather disappointed!

What the hell are "They" teaching your children in school these days???
LoL

top topics

<< 1   >>

join