It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 4 Americans Apparently Unaware the Earth Orbits the Sun Read more: 1 in 4 Americans!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ok...I know there are a lot of stupid people... but my God!
They must have been sick the day this was taught in school.

newsfeed.time.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

nighthawk1954

newsfeed.time.com...

I took that quiz.

They should make you get 100% or you don't get to vote.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A mostly christian country is not well educated in science?

Weeeeeeeeeird.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Technically, the Earth does not revolve around the Sun. As the Sun and the Earth travel through the galaxy, their pathway forms more of a helix.

edit on 27-2-2014 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Jefferton

Ah! But the European countries did worse.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
That's funny. There's a guy at work and he informed me about a month or so ago that science has discovered that the sun orbits around the Earth, essentially Earth is in the middle and the sun and all of the other planets revolve around it.
I have never bitten my tongue so hard. I just shook my head and agreed with him.
edit on 27-2-2014 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Jefferton
A mostly christian country is not well educated in science?

Weeeeeeeeeird.

Dang it! You beat me to it!

I was going to say.....It is obviously all of US Christians that think this.....and that the earth is flat.

Because we all know how dumb us Christians are....I had a hard time even typing this let alone getting on this weird "computer" box thingy

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

whyamIhere
I took that quiz.

Can you remember all 9 questions word for word or perhaps provide a link?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
must have gathered their participants at a bus stop

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
From your article:

And the fact that only 74 percent of participants knew that the Earth revolved around the sun is perhaps less alarming than the fact that only 48 percent knew that humans evolved from earlier species of animals.

Here’s the thing, though: Americans actually fared better than Europeans who took similar quizzes — at least when it came to the sun and Earth question. Only 66 percent of European Union residents answered that one correctly.

So in the text it is 74% but in the headline it is 1 in 4.... Not sure what to make of that (I know it's not you, OP it's how the article is written).

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Not surprising considering that most people think the world revolves around them. And how did the eu get a lower score than the US?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Bone75

whyamIhere
I took that quiz.

Can you remember all 9 questions word for word or perhaps provide a link?

I took the test yesterday @ UTSandiego.com.

I'm sorry, I was unable to find it today....It was very simple.

Add: when they showed the results, that question was about 50%.
edit on 27-2-2014 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I feel quite behind with regard to space matters but I am shocked at this. I truly thought everyone learns this in grade school. I suppose the implications of this aren't very drastic since it won't affect their ability to function in society. Or does it? They can't really conceptualize seasons or climate unless they know this. People really do need to understand the basics in order to think critically about the things related to the topic - and therefore be able to contribute to solutions and advancements. According to this - people don't even get the concept of gravitational pull and orbits. Perhaps teachers aren't making it relevant - telling them why it matters. Things are more readily transferred to long term memory when people see the material is relevant to them personally.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

And the fact that only 74 percent of participants knew that the Earth revolved around the sun is perhaps less alarming than the fact that only 48 percent knew that humans evolved from earlier species of animals.

The FACT that humans evolved from earlier species of animals?

Evolution is still a theory. We really don't know at this point for sure whether we were dropped off on the planet by passing alien storks or what.

Theories don't equal facts. They're simply just the best guesses of the era they're dreamed up in. If you were born in the 1600s, you'd be discussing the 'fact' of witches putting spells on you and leeches being good to pull out the bad humours. I have no doubt that a few hundred years from now, our pet 'facts' will be just as laughed at.

And oh, by the way? Quantum theory changes EVERYthing but it will be hundreds of years before the masses with their noses glued to 'reality television' and the bronze age book worshippers come to terms with it.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

The word theory you learned in high school is not the same as A Scientific Theory.

Gravity is still "just a theory"... try jumping off a building.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I find whole study more intresting.. Study as PDF
It pretty much shows cultural and religious beliefs impact on quite many issues like GMO, nuclear power etc.

Surprisingly this study was much more deeper and intense than how many americans are stupid..

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

It's 1 in 4 Americans, but 74% of all participants...UK, American, etc.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by halfpint0701

Ah, thanks. I guess I am not really surprised or shocked... The average IQ is pretty low so 1/4 seems about right.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
USA! USA! USA! Makes yeah proud ta be ah Mercian!

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

whyamIhere

nighthawk1954

newsfeed.time.com...

I took that quiz.

Ya know voting has nothing to do with how big a retard you are, its about two puppet s chosen by the puppet master to play the leading roles in a farcical comedy about freedom. Liberty.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join