It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard writer: Free speech threatens liberalism and must be destroyed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleOwl

Let's not start throwing around generalities here. I consider myself liberal leaning and her comments in no way, shape or form represent my thinking whatsoever. She's an extreme left idiot, period.

There are extremist kooks on the left and right. Don't lump everyone on either side all in together

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

She is not a liberal if she holds these beliefs.

I don't think Harvard accepts students who actually believe in liberty for all.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

libertarianism, as it turns out lately, is a mixture of the middle ground of the two poles we currently have (not polish people, mind you...polar opposites
) and true fiscal conservatism.

I think if you lined up those two things, you would find the average libertarian.

A growing number, however, are moving more in a full throttle anti-government direction. To be honest, either/or makes me happy enough. I just can't keep taking what we currently have. it makes me feel dirty and stupid.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

poet1b
reply to post by beezzer

She is not a liberal if she holds these beliefs.

I don't think Harvard accepts students who actually believe in liberty for all.

I love that you say this, poet.
if ever anyone were to call you a shill or any other such nonsense, expect me to defend you. I have seen a few of these kinds of things from you.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I think she is Russian or something. She is speaking a foreign language, or possibly a Fake language. Trust me when I say Heterosexism is not a word. I might be a word used by those Mr. & Ms. Potato heads. The ones where you can switch body parts and become a Super Freaky Potato.

Who Gives A # What This "Useful Idiot" says. She is a product of KGB infiltration which have used these institutions to spread their germs in order to weaken the U.S. Where do you think people like Obama, Valery Jarrett, Nancy Pelosi, come from?

Start the video at.. 4:30 sec
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I am of the opinion that some of these college seniors have way to much time on they're hands. I don't know what this persons major was, but it's probably something that requires VERY LITTLE critical thinking, like maybe robo-amercan studies or paper mache in the 21st century or the dyson sphere. anyway. the best thing about the kids at Harvard reading this article? the huge number of them expelling bong water, mashed potatoes or diet coke through they're nostrils. a sensation they will never forget. I know I never have ! I get it. you went to Harvard. Your a Senior. Your angry. Your also living proof. Stupid people can still graduate college. His majesty did, or didn't he ?

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The amazing thing is that free speech threatens literally EVERYTHING. Liberalism is one of billions of ideas that they could use to attack free speech, and sadly she forgets to realize it was free speech that gave way to what she stands for. It's a joke. To be honest I did not read the article. All I got was " An individual wants to ban free speech", why should I entertain the idea of reading proposed Pros of banning free speech? Being able to communicate with another human being as extraordinarily as we do probably is what made us the greatest species to exist on this planet. I'm sorry but no matter how well it sounds on paper, everyone knows it's complete b.s

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

beezzer

MysterX
reply to post by beezzer

I think this only goes to prove one thing...very clever people go to Harvard.

Alongside very clever people, who think and say absolutely bloody idiotic things occasionally.

It takes all sorts.

Some of the dumbest people I've ever met were at University.

Some of the smartest people I've ever met, never finished high school.

So incredibly true.

Highly educated is just highly indoctrinated, nothing to do with intelligence.

I personally know the first person to ever get a perfect score on the Florida SAT. He dropped out of high school at 17 to start his own company. He's about 35 now and doing VERY well!

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Lets all pass the hat around and buy her a one way ticket to North Korea, and gag her on the way so she cant excercise her opinion on the matter

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It's great the way the crazy's out them selves when they seem to feel secure in there control of a situation or a country...like the U.S.

I mean how would you know what these...people... were thinking or who they were if they actually kept there mouths shut.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I would have never believed this would happen in the USA, that people would truly be so deluded and expect a goal like this to be a good thing. This woman actually believes that it would make life more enjoyable.

Maybe someone who is fighting like this to have free speech removed as a right should have their tongue cut out? Then they would understand why being able to speak freely is such a good thing. She wants to take away some speech, so let's cut out her tongue and accommodate her.

edit on 26-2-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I am still surprised by the suggestions of violence against a student for writing an article in a school paper. I thought the majority of people here (well those from the USA at least) supported Article 1 of the Amendments to the Constitution...

I mean it is not like she has a majority of states ready to amend the constitution against the will of the citizens.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Elton

I hope you also don't approve of our leaders we have elected to use the force of violence against us to take away these rights. Because they are doing that a lot more than citizens. But now citizens are joining in like this woman and suggesting our rights be removed. How would they do that? By the threat of violence against us or financial violence against us..

Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, and it is especially true in defending our rights as Americans. Let them even suggest it and soon they will be doing it. Kind of like "RIGHT NOW"

That is what makes America great is patriots (which should include 100% of the population) And us patriots don't take kindly to suggestions of rights being taken away. If pressed too far--- "there will be blood" Just like in bygone days..

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by alienreality

Try as I might I just can't wrap my head around the idea that US Patriotism includes violence against a citizen for exercising their Constitutionally protected right to free speech. Even if they are saying something terrible (and I suspect she is more against tenure protecting teachers from being able to say or teach anything with no repercussions than restricting free speech nationwide).

I also do not think an article in a school paper merits threats in a free society (but I've said this many times and I suppose I must accept that my idea of following the Constitution and Rule of Law may be unpopular nowadays...)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Elton

It doesn't matter what anyone else says. You are right. we should all be willing to defend to the death her right to say these stupid things.

And, in further support of your statement, I have no clue what the context of her article is. And to be honest, don't think that at this particular moment it is worth the mental bandwidth for me to make a determination of what that context is.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Maybe you should rape her with a red-hot poker first - that'll show her.

Seriously... cut her tongue out???? That sounds exactly like something an extremist Muslim would say. Shame on you.

For the record, I am a liberal and I don't agree with this girl. So I guess my tongue is safe.... for now.
edit on 26-2-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Elton

Try as I might I just can't wrap my head around the idea that US Patriotism includes violence against a citizen for exercising their Constitutionally protected right to free speech. Even if they are saying something terrible (and I suspect she is more against tenure protecting teachers from being able to say or teach anything with no repercussions than restricting free speech nationwide).

I also do not think an article in a school paper merits threats in a free society (but I've said this many times and I suppose I must accept that my idea of following the Constitution and Rule of Law may be unpopular nowadays...)

Exactly!

These people crying for this woman to be silenced are just as bad as the women .

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

kaylaluv

Maybe you should rape her with a red-hot poker first - that'll show her.

Seriously... cut her tongue out???? That sounds exactly like something an extremist Muslim would say. Shame on you.

For the record, I am a liberal and I don't agree with this girl. So I guess my tongue is safe.... for now.
edit on 26-2-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

Freedom of speech is only allowed when you agree with it it seems......

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Harvard - Eaton , looks like you guys in the states have the same Silver spoon assholes trying to ruin your country

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
So far, I don't think anyone in this thread including the OP has fully read the article or if they have they don't understand what Korn is saying.

Before going further I want to make clear that I don't support her position. I'll explain why later. It's easy to see why so many of you are frothing at the mouth though and it makes me sick but I'll leave it at that since leftists are getting banned so frequently these days.

In its oft-cited Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure, the American Association of University Professors declares that “Teachers are entitled to full freedom in research and in the publication of the results.” In principle, this policy seems sound: It would not do for academics to have their research restricted by the political whims of the moment.

Yet the liberal obsession with “academic freedom” seems a bit misplaced to me. After all, no one ever has “full freedom” in research and publication. Which research proposals receive funding and what papers are accepted for publication are always contingent on political priorities. The words used to articulate a research question can have implications for its outcome. No academic question is ever “free” from political realities. If our university community opposes racism, sexism, and heterosexism, why should we put up with research that counters our goals simply in the name of “academic freedom”?

Instead, I would like to propose a more rigorous standard: one of “academic justice.” When an academic community observes research promoting or justifying oppression, it should ensure that this research does not continue..

She feels that research and papers on such topics of White people being the most intelligent or women dressing in a manner that provokes rape, violates justice. She is right, it does. Absolutely does. It's vile and without merit. In fact I think people such as pursue those or similar avenues are infiltrators.

Regardless, in academia you fight back with knowledge and better research, in other words prove those assholes wrong. The result would be the same, a Professor discredited would likely not be welcomed back.

The best way to fight racism, sexism, heterosexism and all manner of other ugly things is to let them stand in the light and wither under it. Not push them back into the shadows where they can fester and breed.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join