It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey man escapes 5 year sentence after dash cam footage clears him, indicts cops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
New Jersey man escapes 5 year sentence after dash cam footage clears him, indicts cops

This guy is lucky, real lucky, a second cruiser captured dash cam video if his "resisting arrest", otherwise he'd be looking at 5 years in prison.

Evidence from a dashboard camera on a police cruiser ended a nightmare for a New Jersey man facing false charges of eluding police, resisting arrest and assault.

Prosecutors dismissed all the criminal charges against Marcus Jeter, 30, of Bloomfield, N.J. and instead indicted two Bloomfield police officers for falsifying reports and one of them for assault after the recording surfaced showing police officers beating Jeter during a traffic stop, according to WABC of New York. A third has pleaded guilty to tampering.

Jeter’s defense attorney requested all recorded evidence, but the police failed to hand over a second tape until additional evidence surfaced of a second police car at the scene. The tape showed Jeter complying with police, even as one punched him in the head repeatedly.

Of course the first cruiser, the one with the cops beating on the suspect, couldn't locate their dash cam video.

Again, this guy got real lucky, when his lawyers demanded more evidence and the second cruiser's video turned up.

Detailed chain of events here: Dashcam video clears NJ man; cops now indicted

Jeter says the officers were hitting him and telling him not to resist arrest. "All I keep saying is I'm not doing anything," he adds. "They handcuffed me and one of them hits me in the back." The attorney for Jeter says while showing Eyewitness News the video, "Here a state trooper arrives on the scene and clearly wants no participation in it and that's where one of the officers punch Mr. Jeter in the head after he was clearly placed in handcuffs," said Steven Brown.

As soon as Prosecutors saw this video, they dismissed all of the charges against Jeter. Interesting to note, an investigation by Bloomfield PD's scandal plagued internal affairs division had found no wrongdoing by officers.

Brown says, "I believe the blame is with the Bloomfield police department for not providing that tape. If we hadn't had the tapes in this case, an innocent man would be in jail today."

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Wow.
A scandal-plagued Internal Affairs Department.

You mean they don't have they best interests of the public at heart?
Whodathunkit???

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

There's obviously something going on in that IA department, if they couldn't produce the first cruiser's dash cam. Isn't that how it always goes? Anytime a police cruiser's video cam captures one of their own breaking the law or violating someone's rights, the video vanishes...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Bloomfield is just couple of miles from me. Glad they cought the bad cops.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The worst part of it all is that the cops don't have to worry about any repercussions, they'll get a slap on the wrist at best (I smell a leave with pay).

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Blackmarketeer
reply to post by butcherguy

There's obviously something going on in that IA department, if they couldn't produce the first cruiser's dash cam. Isn't that how it always goes? Anytime a police cruiser's video cam captures one of their own breaking the law or violating someone's rights, the video vanishes...

Yes.
And if a passerby videotapes an incident with their phone, it is confiscated and subsequently (and conveniently for the LEO's) lost.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Wow. That is absolutely horrifying. I'm curious as to what prompted the release of the second car's video:

Jeter’s defense attorney requested all recorded evidence, but the police failed to hand over a second tape until additional evidence surfaced of a second police car at the scene.

Also...I watched the video all the way through and didn't see this part:

The attorney for Jeter says while showing Eyewitness News the video, "Here a state trooper arrives on the scene and clearly wants no participation in it and that's where one of the officers punch Mr. Jeter in the head after he was clearly placed in handcuffs," said Steven Brown.

Was there footage of the state trooper? I looked for it but didn't see it...I'm using an older laptop at the moment though and the video resolution is kind of wonky, so I may just be overlooking it. And I wonder why on Earth the officers decided to plead "not guilty" after this irrefutably damning evidence surfaced...you would think they would be trying as hard as they can to get a lighter sentence. Either way, I am very glad to hear that they are not getting away with this...I am nowhere near saying that my faith in humanity has been restored or anything but it is heartening to see that they are being held accountable for their actions, as is so often not the case with situations like this.

S&F

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
already posted
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Pistoche

The worst part of it all is that the cops don't have to worry about any repercussions, they'll get a slap on the wrist at best (I smell a leave with pay).

You really think so? I hope not. I would think since they've been indicted they will probably actually be sentenced and have to do time...it will be a grave injustice if after that video is shown to a jury, they are only given a slap on the wrist. Of course nothing would really surprise me too much these days, I'm sad to say.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

That's a completely different story (cops hit legally parked car in Brooklyn NY, arrest owner).

My post is about the "resisting arrest and beating" of Markus Jeter in Bloomfield NY.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
If you watch the video you can clearly see the man has his hands up,
while you hear the officer yelling, "STOP REACHING FOR MY GUN!"

I'd say he's lucky to be alive...not just lucky to NOT be in jail. That
cop's ploy was a set-up to justify shooting this man in retaliation
for not being OBEYED.

And then they're holding him down and beating him and yelling at
him to "quit resisting"....it's like an abusive parent who strikes
a child and then demands the child quit crying or "I'll give you
something to REALLY cry about."

Power-tripping punk bullies...the world is full of them...I just
wish so many of them didn't end up on police forces...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Very good catch on this, OP. I especially like hearing the stories where something is clear and clean enough for wrong doing, other cops actually come to stand as the deciding factor for seeing it turn out right.

In this case, I'd have given anything to be a courtroom observer for that outcome.

Judge: Case Dismissed with prejudice! Bailiff, take those 'officers' into custody!

Of course, not quite how it really happens .. but it's the thought that counts sometimes.

Brown says, "I believe the blame is with the Bloomfield police department for not providing that tape. If we hadn't had the tapes in this case, an innocent man would be in jail today."

That last line of the quote is chilling. Truly chilling. How many ARE sitting in cells today over that small a thing. A video vs. No video...and innocent people who have no business in gladiator school..become monsters because they're dropped into true madness within the prison system ...for nothing at all.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

i thought that everybody knew that, when a cop yells anything other than, hands up, down on the ground, walk backwards towards me,
that something is up.

when they yell, stop grabbing my gun, stop resisting, that's cop code for, lets whoop his a@@!

edit on 24-2-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That last line of the quote is chilling. Truly chilling. How many ARE sitting in cells today over that small a thing. A video vs. No video...

That's the part that bug me the most, and how easy it is apparently for corrupt police departments to "lose" videos when it casts their cops in a bad light.

Given this trend, and of cops confiscating personal cameras of citizens, we need a law that prevents police, federal and state level, from ever taking cameras away from citizens.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Annnnd this is why I have a dash cam.

I've never been pulled over for an offense, but I've been in a situation where someone slammed on their brakes infront of me and I slightly bumped into them. They got out flailing, and yelling at me. Once I mentioned there was a dash cam they shut right up and just settled with going our separate ways. And if I ever got pulled over or into a sticky situation like this It'll come in handy as well. It's a good insurance fraud and police idiocy deterrent.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
What we really need is far more intense psychological screening of those who wish to serve and protect......
The bullies are HANDPICKED STOOGES for whats coming down the pike soon enough......

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It's encouraging to see justice prevail in this case, this man indeed got VERY Lucky! Without any evidence prior to the tape being turned over how were prosecutors even considering a 5 year prison sentence? The officers account of the incident was going to be enough even though this man was claiming the opposite? Scary....

Remember the bullies growing up who would pick fights for ridiculous reasons " whatcha lookin at dude " to justify their violent , sadistic behavior....well here's what many of them grew up to be, violent bully cops!

We are expected to keep our vehicles in good working order or we will be pulled over and fined, police cars should be held to the same standards! It should always be a HUGH Red Flag when a disputed incident between police and civilians that should have video evidence available, suddenly is not available due to faulty equipment or "missing" recordings. Do you think any of us could win a case in court with NO evidence, Hell No!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
So this crime by law enforcement was uncovered. How many innocent people are rotting in jail that couldn't afford an attorney and the public defender just signed off on them.

The answer is.................plenty......... and this is the Fascist future of America.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This kind of thing happens far more often than one would hope or think it does.
Can you even imagine the amount of innocent people who have been jailed because of this kind of thing, imagine how many before we had video evidence?

Shocking.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Who watches the watchers?

That's right, chumps, we do.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join