It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leeds Researchers Build World’s Most Powerful Terahertz Laser Chip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

The New Technologies Needed For Dealing With Big Data

In the race to build the world’s most powerful terahertz laser chip, University of Leeds researchers have now taken the lea.

Terahertz waves, which lie in the part of the electromagnetic spectrum between infrared and microwaves, can penetrate materials that block visible light and have a wide range of possible uses including chemical analysis, security scanning, medical imaging, and telecommunications.

Widely publicised potential applications include monitoring pharmaceutical products, the remote sensing of chemical signatures of explosives in unopened envelopes, and the non-invasive detection of cancers in the human body.

However, one of the main challenges for scientists and engineers is making the lasers powerful and compact enough to be useful. A paper in the Institution of Engineering and Technology’s (IET) journal Electronics Letters reports that the Leeds team has exceeded a 1 Watt output power from a quantum cascade terahertz laser.

Sometimes I don't think the public is aware of just how advanced our science and production abilities are. Here is a story talking about how they developed the Terahertz Laser Chip. Now, outside of a few here I think Joe Average would be amazed. I thought this was an interesting read and a pretty cool development.

Now the practical application for our daily life?

I dunno, I'm no expert, just somebody trying stay on top of some of these latest developments but most often find myself playing catch up...

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
There are a few articles on terahertz phones thatcan see tthrough walls.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Sometimes I don't think the public is aware of just how advanced our science and production abilities are.

It's easy to see these things when the information is made public. Where are the people who think them up? Why do you never get to see them? That ... should be what 'really' blows your mind.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

SLAYER69

I dunno, I'm no expert, just somebody trying stay on top of some of these latest developments but most often find myself playing catch up...

Aside from data and telecommunications you need to think tricorder. Thz scanners will allow handheld devices that can accurately see problems in the body almost magically with no ionizing radiation. safer than X rays. it will allow diagnostic scans in many ways better than PET scans, CAT scans, X rays, and MRIs and enable the analysis of bio-signatures of abnormal biochemistry in a hand held device with no cryogenics needed, no ionizing radiation, and cheaper than making a copy on a copying machine as opposed to thousands of dollars as the medical industry can currently get away with. because they can be hand held they will be nearly as plentiful as other more mundane hand held electronic devices.

they are also very useful for airport and other security checks for the above reasons.

Thz scanners perform most but not all imaging as well as current expensive and exotic medical diagnostic devices.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by stormbringer1701

Thank you very much for the reply. Another step closer for sci fi becoming a reality.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

SLAYER69

Thank you very much for the reply. Another step closer for sci fi becoming a reality.

you are welcome. i have been watching progress in the production of terahertz waves for ten years or so; just for the reasons i gave. if you add a couple of other sensors (like Infrared, a DNA sequence reader on a chip, a chromatograph and a chemical sniffer on a chip) onto a THZ scanner you really do have a medical tricorder.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's pretty dandy for Visibuilding, too. And it's a great surreptitious hand scanner for checking people for weapons.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I'm writing a semi related thread any links would be appreciated.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
oh my goodness. this has been developing for just under a decade so i don't know how easy it would be to find cites that i originally read. but i'll try to help; start with this search:

www.google.com...

its a search using the terms terahertz tricorder. but be advised recently there was some sort of fraud regarding some fly by night company promising a working tricorder too. so that may contaminate the search a bit.

and try terahertz medical scanner

www.google.com... ie=UTF-8

the link won't embed properly go to google and type terahertz medical scanner as the search terms. sorry about that.

edit on 24-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: broken link

edit on 24-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: link is still broken.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
www.sciencedaily.com...

i found one that i read. this is one of the last articles on it i read.

now a little about that fraud thing. i am not 100 percent certain but i think scanadu may be the one that got accused of fraud so you may not want to use any cites related to that until you check that out. i don't want to accuse the wrong company of scandal.

you can exclude most cites from a search by using boolean logic operators either -scanadu or not scanadoo depending on the search engine you use. probably -scanadu though. lots of search engines don't use the "not" logical operator. and "-" also performs that function.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

SLAYER69

The New Technologies Needed For Dealing With Big Data

In the race to build the world’s most powerful terahertz laser chip, University of Leeds researchers have now taken the lea.

Terahertz waves, which lie in the part of the electromagnetic spectrum between infrared and microwaves, can penetrate materials that block visible light and have a wide range of possible uses including chemical analysis, security scanning, medical imaging, and telecommunications.

Widely publicised potential applications include monitoring pharmaceutical products, the remote sensing of chemical signatures of explosives in unopened envelopes, and the non-invasive detection of cancers in the human body.

However, one of the main challenges for scientists and engineers is making the lasers powerful and compact enough to be useful. A paper in the Institution of Engineering and Technology’s (IET) journal Electronics Letters reports that the Leeds team has exceeded a 1 Watt output power from a quantum cascade terahertz laser.

Sometimes I don't think the public is aware of just how advanced our science and production abilities are. Here is a story talking about how they developed the Terahertz Laser Chip. Now, outside of a few here I think Joe Average would be amazed. I thought this was an interesting read and a pretty cool development.

This is great thanks Slayer. Also they know that we have reached the limits of the tech from the last age and so they have to bring forward the technoloogy for another one.

top topics

join