It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most Canadian thing ever?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
So Alison Redford, The Premier of Alberta, has announced that bars in Alberta will be allowed to serve booze at 5am for Sunday's olympic gold medal hockey game. She actually tweeted this announcement...

The Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission confirmed licensed establishments in the province are authorized to serve and open at 5 a.m. and will not need to apply for a special licence.

"We appreciate the outpouring of enthusiasm of Albertans who want to gather to watch the game on Sunday and will support licensees to serve liquor when the puck drops," said AGLC CEO and president Bill Robinson in a release.

However, AGLC says all licensees will continue to be expected to offer service in a "socially responsible way to ensure the safety of their patrons."

I think Alberta just solidified itself as the most Canadian province in the country. Now the real question is who is actually going to get up at 5am and start drinking? I'm guessing most people just won't go to bed on Saturday night and stay up drinking all night.

source
edit on 21-2-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

I could care less about hockey......but that said...

If yer a Canadian and it's "on" then yes Saturday straight into Sunday May be called for and not that unusual.

Way back I used to work at a late night restaurant, for the bar close at 5 am after the band...again not that strange lol...

Bacon with that?

Cheers

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I heard there was free beer for canadians at the games too?

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
What a cheap ploy to appease voters in Alberta when her chances of reelection are nil . With how she trampled on provincial labor rights . I wonder if she thinks getting the populace hammered at 5 am they will forget all thats she has done to the province.

As for the hockey all I can say is

edit on 21/2/14 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Look, when I get up and drink at 5am, it's because I am a freak. NOT because I am Canadian.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

I don't see her getting a free pass just because of this. Albertans have seen enough of Redfords antics to last a generation. I think the Wildrose Party will have a legitimate shot at winning the next provincial election. Redford has pretty much singlehandedly seen to that.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Nice!

I usually dislike the province of Alberta (not its people) but this is a definite reason to like them in my books!

I heard chatter that Ontario was considering this as well but never heard anything solid...I would be there for sure though.

Beer and Clamato for breakfast

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
With a thread title like that I thought you we're going to talk about kicking Harper out or something like that only to see that even Canadians can't find hockey good enough to watch without beer!

...just teasing

I'm Canadian, I like beer and hockey so I approve this decision!
edit on 21-2-2014 by theMediator because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
It also would appear that Obama now owes Stephen Harper a case of beer...

link

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

theMediator
With a thread title like that I thought you we're going to talk about kicking Harper out

Wish that would happen and I was there when it did happen

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I dunno. Booze with this, booze with that. Fun aside, why is booze always promoted to apparently enhance events.
Alison Redford is a lame loser and grasping at liquor straws - at least in western culture, the promotion of booze isn't a sign of progression, its just to keep us stupid.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Canadians are obsessed with hockey. If they can't get it on tv at home, it's off to a bar or restaurant that's playing it. I don't think they go for the booze.

It's a stupid idea to allow drinking at that hour of the day. What if canada loses? Who are they playing against?

They better remember the Vancouver riots when Vancouver lost a game. Too many drinking venues.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Anyways I don't get why she would license liquor sales . It's on tv at home. It's not like it's a paid channel on CBC.
Good luck with the rowdy patrons if Canada loses.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

violet
Canadians are obsessed with hockey. If they can't get it on tv at home, it's off to a bar or restaurant that's playing it. I don't think they go for the booze.

It's a stupid idea to allow drinking at that hour of the day. What if canada loses? Who are they playing against?

They better remember the Vancouver riots when Vancouver lost a game. Too many drinking venues.

Canada is playing Sweden for the gold. I don't think you will see any shenanigans if team Canada loses. Might be a few isolated cases of AssHat-ery but nothing like the vancouver riots. If Canada loses the game they at least get the consolation prize of silver medals, so most Canadians will just shrug and keep drinking

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Now the real question is who is actually going to get up at 5am and start drinking?

I'm Canadian and my question is: : "Who wouldn't?"

Breakfast with back bacon, maple syrup, pancakes, hockey on the big screen and a Moose Head Beer to wash it down? I'm all over it!

Go Canada!

Peace

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
This is so funny! I wish I was Canadian. I promise to be a much better citizen than Rob Ford. And to learn more about this thing ya'll call hockey.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

jude11

Now the real question is who is actually going to get up at 5am and start drinking?

Breakfast with back bacon, maple syrup, pancakes, hockey on the big screen and a Moose Head Beer to wash it down? I'm all over it!

Go Canada!

Peace

Hahaha that doesn't sound like a bad morning at all! Then you can top it off by showing up for church tanked after the game!

Best...Sunday...Ever.

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This is far too easy...

Most Canadian thing ever?

The Red Green Show.

edit on 21-2-2014 by madmac5150 because: Puppies and kittens! Puppies and kittens!

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

DeadSeraph

violet

Canada is playing Sweden for the gold. I don't think you will see any shenanigans if team Canada loses. Might be a few isolated cases of AssHat-ery but nothing like the vancouver riots. If Canada loses the game they at least get the consolation prize of silver medals, so most Canadians will just shrug and keep drinking

Ok you're right. I forgot there's still a silver medal

posted on Feb, 21 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

DeadSeraph

jude11

Go Canada!

Peace

Hahaha that doesn't sound like a bad morning at all! Then you can top it off by showing up for church tanked after the game!

Best...Sunday...Ever.

Then back to the bar for Poutine and wings!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join