It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would the Isolation make you go Insane

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
For a number of years I have been following a story about a Man by the name of Hiemo Korth. I was fascinated by this story.

[ Heimo Korth is the last man standing in 19 million acres of Alaskan wilderness. His neighbors are polar bears and caribous. Say good bye to civilization and see how they do it in the arctic circle on the last frontier in America.

In 1980, Jimmy Carter established the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in the Alaskan Interior, cutting off 19 million acres of prime boreal wilderness from the mitts of fur trappers, oil tycoons, and would-be lodge owners alike. Only six families of white settlers were grandfathered in and allowed to keep cabins in the refuge—of them, only one still stays there year-round living off the land. His name is Heimo Korth, and he is basically the Omega Man of Americas Final Frontier ].

The most obvious point of this story is the ability of a person physically, being able to survive completely alone in an environment such as described.

The point of my thread is this. What skills mentally, would a human being truely have to acquire , and quickly , to survive in a world , without the presence of a single soul around.

Wouldn't the loneliness eventually make you go insane. Would it make you take your own life.

What things would you do to occupy your time to keep your self sane in a vacuum of isolation.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by overanocean

Id find it quite nice ...I could go without ever seeing another human again..

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Thats kind of my story , Im fishing for some good tips.

link   

As long as I had something to read it wouldn't be a problem. I mean more than 1 book, I would want at least 20 - 40.

edit on 2/19/2014 by catt3 because: reword my sentence

link   

thats a nice thought but....... No, you could not.
It's hardwired into us to be social.. at least to some extent.
You'd at least get a bit 'eccentric' - maybe even have a few imaginary friends.

And this does not takle very long either, a few weeks can do it to some people.

I've intentionally isolated my self to my immediate family and it messes with my head a bit... so to be completely alone would likely leave me with a volleyball called Wilson as a friend and a desire to avoid the monster in the woods.....

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Heimo Korth is an American outdoorsman. He and his wife Edna are the only permanent residents of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I suggest you take something that has human voices... audio books for example.
Being able to hear a human voice will make a massive difference.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Also if you have a set 'go back to civilization for a little while' date set it'll give you a means of coping, a timeframe.
We thrive on routine and planning.
To have a future plan that goes beyound survival will keep you focused.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by catt3

Books would be a major necessity. Mabye start writing them , but who would be the hell around to ever read your writing.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

Yes, dear old Wilson.
I almost added that into my post .
I might find a buddy named Jake , mabye a good old mapletree pal to crack open a homemade beer with.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I sanded doors for 5 years in a cabinet shop, The only thing that kept me slightly normal in an environment like that was books on tape.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by catt3

Agreed...id hae to have something to keep me busy...id still like to read..play guitar..write music...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Lets change it a bit...how about no human contact..but I can have the internet...I find I feel more socialized through online chatting than actual human contact these days...so im pretty sure I could...im actually a highly social guy...but im very solitary too...my best times are when im alone...and most contact I have is through the internet.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Im a man of knowledge...nothing turns me on more than learning a new skill or reading something new...so for me I know I could do it...but what if you went baby steps..like...what if you moved into the woods...but came back to town once every few months to your po box and collected letters...maybe you can be alone but still write people....or just always go back to society.

I recently watched The Legend of Mick Dodge and he has it right man...hes in the woods away from the world but encounters other strange people in the woods haha..and they are all good friends...its neat...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
as long as i had my beer & smokes and a dog i would manage fine i think but does a blow up doll count as a companion if not count me out .

no way i would do the washing up myself

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

I agree with you about having a routine.
I am basically my own keeper.
Set aside my humor in previous post , my future will imminetly consist of a man alone.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If you are alone and living off the land you won't have time to go insane. Just about every waking moment is spent ensuring your survival. And a pet can make up for the lack of human companionship.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I used to watch a show called Northern exposure.It was such a good show. The premise was about a small town of people living in a tiny town in Alaska called " Cicely " where a bunch of misfit folks learned to live together.The thing was that each character in the town was extremely eccentric in their own right , but the general human bond and acceptance held them together as a community.
I would like to picture this environment for myself not in the cold ass Alaska but the subtropics and tropics.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 999zxcv

By all means , if you need to take a blow up companion called Sally feel free.
Do what you got to do.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Its interesting how you can take the same Idea of survival ,with your description of being alone in the wilderness, and that your time is occupied by finding ways to survive around you , to a basic parallel Idea of a lone type person surviving in an environment surrounded by people.
Thats a possible interpretation of my own.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join