It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking Into A Car: White Guy Vs. Black Guy

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

well put, and on a similar note, for those that say racism is worse because people can't change their race, does that mean in the event of some treatment thst could alter a person's race, you'd all be okay with racism, after all, if you can change, you are bringing these negative emotions upon yourself by not changing, right?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   

That "white" guy you are talking about looks more mixed race Asian, Hispanic or something but definitely not European white.
If you did that same experiment in china, japan you would see the same result so its not a black vs white thing.

What is really funny is I bet if you did that same experiment in a predominately black neighborhood you would get the same result too

The other BIG difference is the black guys motion actually looked like he was trying to get into the car whilst the other guys motion looked like he was scratching dried bird crap of his window

edit on 20-2-2014 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This is the second time in a short period that racists have popped their head in to 'assert' how prejudice against 'blacks' is somehow justified, using statistics that they cherry pick and quite simply don't understand. Lets dismantle this for a moment;

seven percent of offenders commit 70% of the crimes, it
reflects patterns that are well established by research (Farrington, 1986; Greenwood,
1982; Wolfgang, Figlio, & Sellin, 1972)

Study

So we are talking about a very small number of people in proportion to the population. This is true of most societies, there is a high rate of recidivism for particular crimes, which is rooted in poor education and societal disadvantage.

So right off the bat, anyone claiming that it is justified to judge a community based on a minority of that community, simply is acting out on their unjustified fear. Some may wish to attempt to justify their fear, but in so doing, simply display their poor education and weak character.

Further;

When you look at official data from the FBI instead of, for example, browsing far right internet sites, or reading racist blogs, or even perhaps lacking anything more than a kindergarten understanding of statistics and thus easily fooled, its quite clear that; whites were 6.2 times more likely to be murdered by another white person than by a black person and blacks were about 11 times more likely to be murdered by another black person than by a white person. from this example where the 'race' is known.

Broken down further, again from the FBI this means that in 2010, blacks committed 8009 homicides, while whites committed 6877 homicides representing 0.02 percent of the black population and 1 percent of the white population

All this information and more, is publicly available for anyone that can be bothered to read research that isn't done on their racist behalf. It goes then, without saying, that given the relative population percentages of whites and blacks, blacks are actually more likely to be murdered by a white person than vice-versa.

--------------------------

All of this is beside the point though, isn't it? No one really cares about statistics when they confront and ridicule their inbuilt racism. It must be wrong somehow, right? No fool.

This doesn't even venture into self identification; is a black person who is mixed and appears outwardly 'white', a black or white person? Where do they fit in these or other statistics? Does a 'white' person, who appears mixed self identify as white or black and then in what statistics will they fall into? Racists have an answer to these questions, for everyone else, its irrelevant.

The above is just an exercise that shows how statistics are manipulated in such a way that then become widely misunderstood and then held as a 'fact' by society at large. This is turn preserves prejudices, as was played out in the video and through people of colour's experiences daily. They certainly don't need nor value, someone's opinion of their lives and experiences which contradicts their own. Who knows better, people of colour or someone else? Do men know what its like to experience sexism like a woman does? Would they be so arrogant to assume they somehow know better? No, only with people of colour do many here claim expertise, when they lack such expertise regarding anything else.

If you are going to quote statistics, do it from the source, not second hand, nor third hand either. Show your justification for generalising a community of people or get called out as a racist.
edit on 20-2-2014 by spacedog1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

KnightLight

It's not just black people. Cops hate me, and I am white. I have that old 90s grungy vibe though, so I look different than rich white proper people. That being said I went to a movie on valentines day to a movie theater in a black part of town where I live. The cops that were inside the theater were giving me the stare down and I was dressed nicely(with my girlfriend). I was one of 2 white people in a completely packed theater. The cops didn't seem to think anyone else looked criminal.

Basically whoever is the minority is scary for some reason.

A white guy in a black neighborhood, they probably figured you were there to score some dope.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedog1973

Your post alone would make for an educational thread for most. Well put.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join