It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking Into A Car: White Guy Vs. Black Guy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Breaking Into A Car: White Guy Vs. Black Guy

In this short video, we witness the difference in reaction from bystanders and police when two men, one white, one black, are slim jimmying a car with the alarm horn activated.\

I'll not spoil the results for you. watch at link above.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Unfortunately people still have a lot of backward, wrong, judgmental, bigoted, thinking. However, it doesn't just occur when it is black vs. white. It occurs for people who may not be the typical "trendy" or conformist. ANYBODY that is different to the extent that people can see, are often judged by those who see it.

I have visible tattoos. I am a 37 year old white/mother/married woman, but I often find I get followed around stores and watched because of what I have chosen to do to myself. I have almost never been pulled over when I wasn't made to get out of the car for one form of sobriety test or another. It is what it is. While that is not the same exactly as being different in ways we can't help.... it still opens your eyes to how people stereotype/judge based on looks alone.

For as many people that say they do not judge, there are just as many that do. I have never understood why there are folks who still do this, but I have always been one to go my own way and maybe those are the folks that will eventually bring down the remaining bigotry that is still somewhat more acceptable than it should be.

Mind you, I have no issue with people who want to dislike whoever they wish (some will never learn regardless), but in cases like the OP, those thoughts can sometimes lead to actions that are not fair just because of what someone perceives others to be. That is what needs to be stopped in all cases... not just racial ones.

We've come a long way, but we still have quite a way to go.
edit on 2/19/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
EDIT:

Look, I went maybe a bit too far there. But I still think we are going about this all wrong with these type of things. All it serves to do is re-iterate multiple bad stereotypes, and thus never lets the madness stop.

I apologize for previous post and a few others I made of similar caliber. I just wish people would change the game up for once, because this way isn't working.
edit on 19-2-2014 by wingsfan because: I was an idiot

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

If the 'white' guy had the same awful haircut I think things would be different. Do it again with a white dude sporting dreads or a mohawk and a black guy that's clean cut.

Dressed like crap with that awful hairstyle, of COURSE someone is calling the cops. He looks like a bum. They also act differently.

People treat you differently based on the clothes you wear, your style of hair, everything. Not discounting the race thing, but it's not a fair test. Two guys wearing the same thing, both clean cut would be FAR more compelling.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
**Edited**

Screw it. Forget I said anything.
edit on 19-2-2014 by Auricom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   

It's not just black people. Cops hate me, and I am white. I have that old 90s grungy vibe though, so I look different than rich white proper people. That being said I went to a movie on valentines day to a movie theater in a black part of town where I live. The cops that were inside the theater were giving me the stare down and I was dressed nicely(with my girlfriend). I was one of 2 white people in a completely packed theater. The cops didn't seem to think anyone else looked criminal.

Basically whoever is the minority is scary for some reason.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I know it seems stereotypical, and although an alternate location could have completely different results, this is not hypothetical. Or is it?

I would not differentiate between either party. I would suspect them both.

I've had a car stolen from my driveway.
According to the neighbor across the street, when the car thieves were picking the locks, said neighbor stated that he turned on his porch light and made himself known to the thieves that he was aware of them.
The perpetrators looked at him and went back to their deed.

The neighbor assumed they must have permission for whatever because they did nothing suspicious like run away, talk about the man who saw them, or show nervousness.

In my case it was 4 kids ranging from 11-14 out on a joy ride.

In this case, the neighborhood probably comes into play for sure. But the video segment where the police literally stop their car next to the brake-in vehicle takes the cake.
The man could've been a get away driver for a robbery around the corner that was dumb enough to lock in the keys for all anyone knows.

Would it not have been proper for an officer, who witnesses this act, to at least inquire on the status of the vehicle and person attempting to enter against the alarm and locks of the parked car? Nothing more than a point blank observation of no concern it seems.?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Very stupid video and not really reflective of anything out of context. I can go shoot a video of a white person trying to steal a car in Detroit…. but then again insurance for the filming would cost too much.

Zing!

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

In this case, the neighborhood probably comes into play for sure. But the video segment where the police literally stop their car next to the brake-in vehicle takes the cake.
The man could've been a get away driver for a robbery around the corner that was dumb enough to lock in the keys for all anyone knows.

Would it not have been proper for an officer, who witnesses this act, to at least inquire on the status of the vehicle and person attempting to enter against the alarm and locks of the parked car? Nothing more than a point blank observation of no concern it seems.?

Who said he witnessed it? He drove by. Even if he was looking across it would have looked like someone getting into their car, since the hands through two windows were probably not visible.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Plausible. The Officer seems more irritated that the alarm is going off than why. Those shades might be the reason he saw nothing.
I agree that it is stupid, but I know it's not viewed as a qualified scientific study either, let alone peer reviewed in a an esteemed, qualified and recognized publication hallowed by scientific communities. I would say no more that other films of this caliber at best. The Academy Award for Documentary Feature Winner, it's not.
The editing could be one-sided; partial. A lot of things could be skewed.
The fact is, one of the two results can happen to anyone at anytime when they are jimmying a car, as well as other results.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
Unfortunately people still have a lot of backward, wrong, judgmental, bigoted, thinking. However, it doesn't just occur when it is black vs. white. It occurs for people who may not be the typical "trendy" or conformist. ANYBODY that is different to the extent that people can see, are often judged by those who see it.

I have visible tattoos. I am a 37 year old white/mother/married woman, but I often find I get followed around stores and watched because of what I have chosen to do to myself. I have almost never been pulled over when I wasn't made to get out of the car for one form of sobriety test or another. It is what it is. While that is not the same exactly as being different in ways we can't help.... it still opens your eyes to how people stereotype/judge based on looks alone.

For as many people that say they do not judge, there are just as many that do. I have never understood why there are folks who still do this, but I have always been one to go my own way and maybe those are the folks that will eventually bring down the remaining bigotry that is still somewhat more acceptable than it should be.

Mind you, I have no issue with people who want to dislike whoever they wish (some will never learn regardless), but in cases like the OP, those thoughts can sometimes lead to actions that are not fair just because of what someone perceives others to be. That is what needs to be stopped in all cases... not just racial ones.

We've come a long way, but we still have quite a way to go.
edit on 2/19/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

I agree with alot that Kangaruex4Ewe has to day about this. There are alot of parts to this equation that are playing out, I'll do my best to get at as many that I know.

I'll start off by saying that I am an African American, with decedents that came to america in via the slave trade, lived through Jim Crown, segregation and now the current system of bias. I have a "white" accent and speak with a lower middle class dialect with some exposure to Middle Class rules and expectations. I have a B.A. in marketing. All of these factors have in influence on how someone will judge (give value) to who I am. I also understand that I co-create my experiences with others based on my thoughts, feelings and actions.

I'll start now.

I am not surprised that this happened, the black person being pulled over. Its in his black people cultural past to expect to be hostile approached by the judicial (court) and correctional (police) branches of government in this way. The same is true for any individual with this cultural past, whether they are "white-skinned" (Romanian, German, Polish, Jewish, ect) or non-white skinned, as well as the stereotypes associated with these groups of people Tattoos, accent, dialect/slang, clothing, etc. We believe and know to expect this from people not valued as much by America.

Although this is an "experiment" to "prove" American is still racist (like it really needs proving), it would be interesting to see another thing like this with a different premise. Set up a car to be broken into, someone being robbed or someone being harassed unjustly/unlawfully by an authority figure in a place that's very poor and see how people will respond. Will people love each other to unite agaist the injustice in the name of Love for the Creator?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Never EVER call the cops. Don't play with the cops. Just don't. This could have gotten upside down in so many ways ... and then what? A: We'd have another thread in the Posse Comitatus forum.

-Cheers

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Try riding a harley, having tatts and long hair.
For added fun, turn up somewhere with a few mates and see what reception you get. people act like you're a bunch of viking raiders, even if you just want a bacon butty and some fuel.
its all about fear of otherness.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:55 AM
link   
That's really sad that skin color is so important in terms of judging someone's criminality.
The makers of the video proved their point.
Our system is screwed up big time.

Why isn't there a serious initiative to teach police officers how to be racially sensitive and avoid profiling?
Seems like they are being taught to target a specific race...

And pulling the weapons and cussing is really unprofessional especially when there was no threat whatsoever.
Automatic cuffs, then they asked "Is this your car?" after one of them clearly said it was theirs.
And did the camera man get detained a moment too just for filming it?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   

SprocketUK
For added fun, turn up somewhere with a few mates and see what reception you get. people act like you're a bunch of viking raiders, even if you just want a bacon butty and some fuel.

A biker can get a car instead, have the tatts removed, and cut their hair.
If he really cared enough to change, that is.

What's a black man gonna do? Paint himself?
Black people have no choice and are born this way.

That is why it is far more important than discrimination against bikers.

I would love to live in a world where the government treats humans equally on the law.
Too many personal vendettas being carried out by our govt employees.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

muzzleflash

SprocketUK

A biker can get a car instead, have the tatts removed, and cut their hair.
If he really cared enough to change, that is.

What's a black man gonna do? Paint himself?
Black people have no choice and are born this way.

That is why it is far more important than discrimination against bikers.

I would love to live in a world where the government treats humans equally on the law.
Too many personal vendettas being carried out by our govt employees.

so what you are saying is its ok to discriminate against any person that has the option to conform to some societal standard?
I should ditch all my most trusted friends? Alter myself cosmetically and give up the joy of two wheels for a metal cage just so people with tiny minds won't think I'm someone not to be trusted?

To be fair, that's as unlikely a scenario as waking up tomorrow morning looking like Chuck Berry.
edit on 19-2-2014 by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

I think he's trying to say being a biker is a choice, being black is not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join