It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US experts say chemicals may cause silent brains epidemic in young

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

What qualifies a disorder as a mental illness is clearly defined. It is not about what the patient thinks.

You seem to imply that if it were - that would be objective. No, that would be another form of subjectivity.

There is one truth and only one anchor to reality. Many of those who wrote the books were far removed from it.
edit on 15-2-2014 by FreeWillAnomaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by TheStev

outstanding point.

'socialization" seems to be a litmus test in psychology. Of course, a primary goal is to be able to release a patient into society without having them be a danger to the individuals within society. The overall aim is good. but the focus is a bit narrow.

Industrial psychologists should be outlawed.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

FreeWillAnomaly
reply to post by TheStev

mental illness is ... not about what the patient thinks.

Um...I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bbracken677

A summary of Juan Enriquez TED Talk:

solodialogue.wordpress.com...

Interesting idea. I am not believing evolution would drive it, but neurplasticity may.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheStev

It is defined by what the psychologist or psychiatrist thinks about what the patient thinks, and what they think about what the patient thinks is defined by people who think you should not be thinking for yourself.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

TED talks are always funny. Very entertaining. Did you see the one about video games and real world problem solving?

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeWillAnomaly

I won't typically watch streming video. Its why i found a link explaining it.

posted on Feb, 15 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

It's a pretty convincing argument about why we need to play more video games:

www.ted.com...

It's a stream, though.

Also on Netflix

Of course, it will be used for social engineering, but what isn't these days? At least this version of it is actually fun and constructive.
edit on 15-2-2014 by FreeWillAnomaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

FreeWillAnomaly
reply to post by TheStev

It is defined by what the psychologist or psychiatrist thinks about what the patient thinks, and what they think about what the patient thinks is defined by people who think you should not be thinking for yourself.

Wrong. It is about how the patient thinks. Some brains (or parasympathetic systems) simply do not process information in a way that is survival positive for the individual. If you are terrified of setting foot outside your house, or hear voices urging you to kill strangers, there is definitely something wrong with your wiring or body chemistry.
edit on 16-2-2014 by DJW001 because: Edit to add additional ruminations.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Witness2008
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Given that all of those drinks contain fluoride, I would say fluoride is the most predominate chemical in our bodies, and at the top of the list as to eliminating from everyone's life.

Do you have any sort of evidence at all to support that statement?

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

This is an old fight and a noble one. Keep it going, please.

Those who question the legitimacy of the findings showing we're rendering ourselves sick and impotent whilst in the process of killing ourselves are the same ones who insist the "prion hypothesis" is "still controversial." So lame. Shortsighted.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

soficrow

Those who question the legitimacy of the findings showing we're rendering ourselves sick and impotent whilst in the process of killing ourselves are the same ones who insist the "prion hypothesis" is "still controversial." So lame. Shortsighted.

From the people doing the Prion research, while they say it's promising research and there's a lot to be said for the hypothesis they also caution the following:

The evidence in favor of the prion model is very strong, but final proof-consisting of the generation of infectious prions in vitro-is still missing.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

DJW001

FreeWillAnomaly
reply to post by TheStev

Wrong. It is about how the patient thinks. Some brains (or parasympathetic systems) simply do not process information in a way that is survival positive for the individual. If you are terrified of setting foot outside your house, or hear voices urging you to kill strangers, there is definitely something wrong with your wiring or body chemistry.
edit on 16-2-2014 by DJW001 because: Edit to add additional ruminations.

What does that have to do with any of the conditions mentioned? You are talking about schizophrenia.

I am not "Wrong." Exactly what I said is exactly what it is and you created a straw man to start a pointless debate. We were not talking about people who hear voices. But, even then, it is STILL about exactly what I said.

And here lies the problem: "There are crazy people out there! Surrender your free will to us or all the crazy people will kill you!"

Crazy people are still killing people every day, and we are still losing more and more of our free will every day. Hmmm.... Of course, only those who choose to put their faith in men are truly losing it, but still, it takes a long time if not a life time for many people to realize where they should have been putting their faith.

Have you looked at the history of modern psychology, let alone historical psychology, and the damage it has caused? I think the shrinks managed to kill more people than the crazy people, and definitely managed to subvert the free will of countless people who are NOT crazy while they were at it.

Modern psychology in America has hope if people are willing to ask questions instead of blindly allowing the man in the lab coat to tell you to shock your fellow citizens for not being "normal."
edit on 16-2-2014 by FreeWillAnomaly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

vkey08

soficrow

From the people doing the Prion research, while they say it's promising research and there's a lot to be said for the hypothesis they also caution the following:

The evidence in favor of the prion model is very strong, but final proof-consisting of the generation of infectious prions in vitro-is still missing.

Re: Your reference is WAY out of date - from 2004 (10 years ago). Much has happened in the interim - prions have been generated in vitro; prions are shown to develop new and different strains on exposure to new cells and/or environmental conditions; and more.

2005: In Vitro Generation of Infectious Scrapie Prions

Here we show that PrPC / PrPres conversion can be mimicked in vitro by cyclic amplification of protein misfolding, resulting in indefinite amplification of PrPres. ...material. These findings demonstrate that prions can be generated in vitro....

2009: De Novo Generation of Infectious Prions In Vitro Produces a New Disease Phenotype

Prions are the unprecedented infectious agent associated with prion diseases, which are composed exclusively of a misfolded protein. In this study we report the de novo formation of infectious prion protein in vitro, which when inoculated into wild type animals is able to induce a new disease phenotype with unique clinical, neuropathological and biochemical characteristics.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Blackmarketeer
In order to ingest fluoride in drinking water you need to first ingest drinking water - and most kids aren't - they're drinking sodas and energy drinks and flavored juices. So instead of fluoride, you should really be concerned about chemicals like Bisphenol A (BPA), used in a plastic bottle and canning industry. Of course, there's only about 10,000 other chemical additives to worry about as well...

The beverages you speak of have water as the, if not one of the, main ingredients. Sodas have every bit as much neurotoxic sodium fluoride as tap water.

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Here's some 2006 news on this topic. Note the headlines linked:

Chemicals impair kids' brains in 'pandemic' proportions

Chemical pollution 'responsible for silent pandemic of brain damage'

'Silent pandemic' poisoning our children

A 'Silent Pandemic' Of Brain Disorders

Scientists link Industrial pollution to ‘silent pandemic’ of brain damage

Chemical Exposure Creating a "Silent Pandemic" of Neurodevelopmental Disorders?

Like I said, Keep up the good fight.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
It's primarily the Fluoride, MSG and Aspartame! They clog up and caicify the bridge between the brain hemispheres (i.e. pineal gland and pituitary gland). These are all known to give symptoms of autism, adhd, add and leads to alzheimers as well. Don't let your kids take this crap! Get your water filtered, choose honey, stevia, agave or raw brown sugar over artificial sweeteners. Harmful Food Additives

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeWillAnomaly

I am not "Wrong."

I was not talking to you. Nevertheless, the fact that you are not responding to what I actually said should give you pause to reconsider your position.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I work with autistic youth and have done some of my own research, basically because I have a strong feeling the medical community has absolutely no clue what they are dealing with. I get this feeling because of the plethora of pill cocktails they have these kids on. So clearly not dealing with solving the issue, but merely masking it with symptom relief. And even that doesn't exactly help them much, other than put their livers and kidneys into overdrive trying to break down these powerful meds.

I digress. Anyway, what I have found is that there is a strong link between the gut and the central nervous system (CNS). All humans have somewhat of a forest in our guts. Literally flora and fauna (micro-bacteria), which helps us break down and metabolize/ excrete waste within our food. And keeps toxins out of our blood/ brain. Now imagine if you didn't have the capability to remove those toxins...

The autism issue (and likely other mental health issues from birth) are tied to a lack of a proper amount of microbes in the gut. One theory is that with cesarean section, because the baby does not pass through the birth canal (which is directly beside the anus) the baby will then miss that opportunity to pass the entryway of their digestive system past the mothers exit of her digestive system (the anus), thus not populating her offspring properly with good bacteria. Sounds gross, but it is reality and this is how we develop and grow...nature is amazing.

Now, I know not all c-sections have resulted in autism. But perhaps that is because not all are genetically predisposed to developing autism. Kind of like a loaded gun. If you are predisposed genetically, your gun is loaded. But if you have an experience like being born c-section, while also being predisposed, well, that pulls the trigger.

Not saying this is the way it is for every and all autistic sufferers...and let's be honest, not everyone diagnosed with autism HAS autism...it is very much a blanket term used by the medical/social service world to gain access to money, whether it helps treatment or not.

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparkymedic

what I have found is that there is a strong link between the gut and the central nervous system (CNS).

You might find these articles interesting.

Misfolded Neural Proteins Linked to Autism Disorders

Prions and the immune system: a journey through gut, spleen, and nerves.

For more than two decades it has been contended that prion infection does not elicit immune responses: transmissible spongiform encephalopathies do not go along with conspicuous inflammatory infiltrates, and antibodies to the prion protein are typically undetectable. Why is it, then, that prions accumulate in lymphoid organs, and that various states of immune deficiency prevent peripheral prion infection? This review revisits the current evidence of the involvement of the immune system in prion diseases, while attempting to trace the elaborate mechanisms by which peripherally administered prions invade the brain and ultimately cause damage. The investigation of these questions leads to unexpected detours, including the neurophysiology of lymphoid organs, and even the function of a prion protein homolog in male fertility.

PMID: 14711055

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join