It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophetic warning about sugar in 1972 was suppressed.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

zazzafrazz
reply to post by boncho

Call in

Don't make me work harder on my Sunday.

Wish I wasn't working Sunday nights. :\

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The definitive Documentary on Sugar and its health implications to Alzheimer's, Cancer, heart disease and the big food companies that collude to keep it secret are exposed by a weekly Canadian News documentary program "The Fifth Estate".

I was surprised by the hidden sugars in products I didn't expect to see it in, for instance some brands of plain yogurt have 3 or 4 teaspoons per 1/4 cup! The food companies are using the same strategies tobacco used to supress and deny the connection of sugar to disease. In fact food companies pioneered some of the techniques used by the tobacco lobbyist to convolute and deny the health implications of smoking.
This is a shocking expose' of the food industry and everybody who watches will learn something from it. It may even save your life!
Enjoy,
brice

posted on Feb, 16 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Voyager1
I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) years ago. I went to the doctor because I was struggling with extreme fatigue and tiredness where I once had the energy of a super hero.

They told me I should avoid all sugar and the foods like potatoes and anything else that turns to sugar in the blood.

I've learned to drink coffee and tea unsweet with none of those B.S. artificial sweeteners and now can not tolerate either of those beverages even lightly sweetened.

I've found that I do ok just by avoiding sweet beverages. I can still eat dark chocolates every day and cake and pies at holidays sparingly.

I don't eat a lot of pies or cakes but don't try to completely avoid them.

This is something I don't quite understand. I have always been plagued with hypoglycemia. I have been researching this lately and my research shows something completely different than the avoidance they talk about.

An hour and a half after I drink or eat something high in sugar, I crash, getting the shakes or even hypoglycemic spins. Drinking alcohol does this, if I drink enough I get the spins at night. That is why I don't drink much anymore. I talked to the pharmacist and she told me that I need more proteins to balance this. Seems I make too much insulin when I eat something that is sugary, so once I eat something sweet, I have to keep eating sweet things or I crash from low blood sugar.

Now there are always two ways to skin a cat, but remember that either way can cause problems. My problem with hypoglycemia can still lead to diabetes...that would be a real problem in my case. Too much sugar is no good, yet the right amount at the proper time is good. I'm working on this and testing proper ways to deal with this problem. I have lots of research to do on how is the best way to deal with this. A person like a doctor can not adequately tell you how to do this, unless the doctor has the same problem. This cannot be taught in books. It has to be experienced and evaluated. I am sure that there are some doctors aware of this from experience or an interest and a friend with the problem, but they do not desire to get involved in changing others idea of how to deal with this situation. The proper answer is not found in books yet some people know how to deal with it. I am glad I talked to the pharmacist instead of a doctor in this case. I do not need meds and even though I have told every doctor I have had about this, not one has ever given me any good information about how to combat this, they just all told me that this will probably turn into diabetes someday. No answer on how to stop this from happening. I need to burn ketones as my fuel, not sugars. That is the only thing I needed to be told. The beta blockers I was given caused a reduction in ketone burning, causing me more problems than good. Now the doctors listed me as allergic to beta blockers...they put this on my records without even telling me.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

We in the position we were in with the tobacco companies when they were denying it caused cancer.

I'm heinously insulin resistant, and I was told all through the eighties and nineties to eat a low fat high carb diet. THE worst possible diet for me. I now eat a shed load of animal fat and meat and usually low carb. Humans did not evolve to eat grain and sugar. I now tell my doctors face to face when they are wrong when they tell me to eat low fat.

Several REALLY large scale dietary studies have now concluded it's not fat but high GI carbs that cause heart attacks. Govt and food industry still plugging low fat as healthy on TV. Diabolical.

abcnews.go.com...
www.urmc.rochester.edu...
edit on 19-2-2014 by mrphilosophias because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Nice to see that this 2009 lecture suddenly found itself a rebirth as it has finally dawned on me what I have known for so long... sugar in the forms we intake it is extremely unhealthy.

I am one of those who will munch the entire box if I eat one piece or one cookie. Every single time more or less...

This morning I looked above our fridge where we keep our empty bottles and it was filled with 1.5 litres soda bottles.
When I think of it, me and the mrs. basically go through 1.5 litre of soda each day :´( and we even fail and let the kids "have a taste" once in a while.... I feel so bad right now.

So I'm pretty sure I'm one of the addicts.

But here's what's more interesting:

Back in early February I decided to fly up to my moms in Norway and go hiking... I told myself no soda and no bad food for those five days. Here's what happened. Day three I fell into the crisp pit and ate a tube of Pringles. But for the entire week I didn't drink any soda what so ever.... when I got back home, combined with the hiking, the no soda treatment had lost me 2.5kg!

Ofcourse not having detoxed my girlfriend in the process as well, and landing back in the couch potato position when I got home, I'm now back on the soda wagon
But I hate it!!! I HATE SODA!
The ambivalence is excruciating! Some part of my body or brain wasn't to taste it, but my sense is telling me to stay away.
This is a constant battle that I'm still losing each time and even though my weight is 12-15kg too high, I can't seem to find the true incentive to stop myself for poisoning myself slowly.

Anywyas, I found a link to the anti-sugar book, and since Alan Carr helped me stop smoking for good with his book, I was hoping "Pure, white and Deadly" will do the same trick for my sugar addiction.

Here's the link for the book for anyone else who wants to "wake up": "Pure, White and Deadly" by John Yudkin

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

flice
reply to post by boncho

Nice to see that this 2009 lecture suddenly found itself a rebirth as it has finally dawned on me what I have known for so long... sugar in the forms we intake it is extremely unhealthy.

I am one of those who will munch the entire box if I eat one piece or one cookie. Every single time more or less...

This morning I looked above our fridge where we keep our empty bottles and it was filled with 1.5 litres soda bottles.
When I think of it, me and the mrs. basically go through 1.5 litre of soda each day :´( and we even fail and let the kids "have a taste" once in a while.... I feel so bad right now.

So I'm pretty sure I'm one of the addicts.

But here's what's more interesting:

Back in early February I decided to fly up to my moms in Norway and go hiking... I told myself no soda and no bad food for those five days. Here's what happened. Day three I fell into the crisp pit and ate a tube of Pringles. But for the entire week I didn't drink any soda what so ever.... when I got back home, combined with the hiking, the no soda treatment had lost me 2.5kg!

Ofcourse not having detoxed my girlfriend in the process as well, and landing back in the couch potato position when I got home, I'm now back on the soda wagon
But I hate it!!! I HATE SODA!
The ambivalence is excruciating! Some part of my body or brain wasn't to taste it, but my sense is telling me to stay away.
This is a constant battle that I'm still losing each time and even though my weight is 12-15kg too high, I can't seem to find the true incentive to stop myself for poisoning myself slowly.

Anywyas, I found a link to the anti-sugar book, and since Alan Carr helped me stop smoking for good with his book, I was hoping "Pure, white and Deadly" will do the same trick for my sugar addiction.

Here's the link for the book for anyone else who wants to "wake up": "Pure, White and Deadly" by John Yudkin

Maybe try one of the various brands of kombucha! Most popular is called GT. but as this drink is growing in popularity there are a bunch available.

The good ones are very carbonated and come in a lot of delicious favors.

Kicks the sh!t out of soda!

Kombucha helped my wife kick soda, and I haven't drank any in years.

O ya, it's also freakin amazing for the body and makes you feel great!

www.foodrenegade.com...

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Avoid stuff like xylitol, which is just about as bad as sugar for creating insulin response

Howdy you, been awhile.

You might be confusing this one with one of the several other sugar alcohols (there's a bunch). There is a lot of research on xylitol. The fact that it has less calories, and far less carbs, as well as much less insulin impact (actually it doesn't 'directly' have any, however, it does affect glucose, which in turn affects insulin, but in a much lesser amount) -- as well as that what impact it has is far more gradual, both going up and going down -- has caused more than one research study to openly advocate it for diabetics, and many studies have used only diabetics as subjects (both T1 and T2) and come out very well.

It is in plant foods though in tiny amounts. Humans have enzymes to digest about 5-15g of it daily by default; you have to "gradually build up to" more (modifying gut bacteria to be more of the kind that feed off it and make enzymes to handle it) -- I've talked to people who've done it, with the whole family, and make 'ordinary' foods (e.g. nutbreads, muffins and cookies) using entirely xylitol with no issue. It is the same sweetness as sucrose; a bit less sweet than fructose. So slightly less sweet than table sugar.

It not only prevents cavities and I mean in a big way and even years later (extended effects), but it actually *heals* existing cavities ("remineralizes" teeth). It's been tested at many doses (up to about 400g/day) without harm. And it's been tested on every age group (including prenatal via mother; nursing infants, and toddler) and failed to show any harm and has literally a ton of health benefits so far. It's famous for the dental stuff but really, some of its health benefits are mind boggling.

d-Ribose which is getting a little better known lately, is a reduced form of xylitol. (I've been taking a supplement of d-Ribose. Costs a bloody fortune. One study tested the ability of these to provide direct energy to cells in the heart and found they were both effective but xylitol was much cheaper.) 2/3 of xylitol digests in the large intestine and is made into short chain fatty acids (so, like resistant starch -- it is in the 'resistives' category -- that % of it is actually a fat, after processing by the body).

Hang on, I have an old food forum post that had a list of one-liners, about 95% of them were the summary of a research study, it was from a big listing of research on xylitol. ... here it is. This is my own post so I feel free to quote it entirely here. Anybody interested can google any of the relevant terms along with xylitol to find more information or research references. Actually I'm going to reduce this somewhat.

Just remember that every "*" line here is a summary and/or quote from a separate research paper on it, and this is leaving out dupes (except in the 'remineralization' area I did include studies with same conclusions, the others I mostly stuck to one per specific result, though they clearly overlap).

Xylitol was used in a big way during WWII so there's a lot of mass-usage background with it. It's far more common in western europe (particularly Finland) than here. I think the majority of research -- since the USA is less fond of stuff it can't patent... -- is in foreign languages (german and russian in particular), and I haven't even seen anything from 'the old days', so the science is not so easily found. Still, enough IS in english to have a very solid base.

continued in next post

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
(continued)

1. Remineralization of teeth.

2. Remineralization/density of bone for aging women in particular (but men too), and also muscle-sparing

3. Contribution to the gut biome / gut flora.

4. Immune-contribution by way of preventing adhesion of nasty/damaging bacterias not just in the mouth but in the body.

5. Research on how much xylitol humans can absorb daily and 'adapt' to without any apparent harm

6. Everything else dental.

7. Miscellanous health benefits.

8. Surgical and injury treatment benefits.

9. Stuff related to diabetes, diabetics, etc.

10. General info on xylitol used as a food/sweetener

11. Even more obscure benefits (not directly to health, but...)

==========================
1. REMINERALIZATION OF TEETH.

* The scientific and clinical information available today indicates that habitual use of xylitol can be associated with significant reduction in the incidence of dental caries and with remineralization of both enamel and dentin caries lesions.

* Xylitol candy was used 3 times during the school day. Xylitol seemed to have a strong preventive and a clear remineralizing effect on caries.

* Through the retarding effect on calcium phosphate precipitation, alditols may favorably govern remineralization of carious lesions.

* Chewing sorbitol or sorbitol/xylitol gum for 20 minutes after meals and snacks stimulated remineralization by salivary means.

* Exposure to xylitol (20 grams per day in candy) resulted in pronounced rehardening.

* High-xylitol chewing gum usage can retard or arrest even rampant caries.

* Primary teeth with dentin caries that remineralized during xylitol use were examined by electron microscope and for microhardness. The rehardened surface layer (normally less than 0.1 mm in thickness) was significantly harder than sound dentin and nearly as hard as sound enamel.

* When remineralizing solution containing xylitol is used, xylitol may act as Ca2+ ion carrier and may maintain constant Ca2+ ion content by introducing Ca2+ ions from the surface layer to the middle and deep demineralized layers, thereby enhancing total remineralization. The present study demonstrates that remineralization occurs over the entire demineralized layers via the utilization of xylitol.

* Remineralization near the surface layer advanced because of crystal formation resulting from fluoride action. Xylitol additives working as calcium-ion carriers possibly promoted remineralization in the intermediate and deep layers.

* It was found that among sugar alcohols and calcium compounds tested, the combination of xylitol and calcium hydrogenphosphate strongly enhanced the remineralization of demineralized layers.

* Xylitol gum containing G. furcata extract and calcium hydrogenphosphate amplified the remineralization throughout all demineralized layers.

* Xylitol can induce remineralization of deeper layers of demineralized enamel by facilitating Ca2+ movement and accessibility.

* Xylitol gum enhanced the remineralization of initial caries-like enamel lesions

* Remineralization becomes all the more remarkable in the presence of xylitol. Xylitol strongly stimulated saliva-induced remineralization in deep layers.

* Adding calcium to xylitol gum increased the remineralizing effect

* Chewing xylitol gum containing funoran and calcium hydrogenphosphate has a significant effect on the remineralization of initial caries-like lesions of the teeth.

* The best rehardening properties were for saliva substitutes with xylitol. (for remineralization)

* Xylitol chewing gum is even more effective with the addition of calcium and seaweed extract.

2. REMINERALIZATION/DENSITY OF BONE & MUSCLE SPARING

* By giving xylitol to operated patients, we can observe a normalization of the disturbances of glucose utilization, as well as an obviously reduced loss of nitrogen…
[nitrogen loss = muscle wasting, loss of lean body mass]

* ...xylitol maintained bone density in rats that had their ovaries removed. Without ovaries, estrogen levels plummeted and so did the bone density in rats that were not given xylitol. However, in the rats that had ovaries removed and were given xylitol, bone density actually increased.

* ...xylitol was effective in decreasing age-related bone loss in older male rats by 10%.

"Finnish researchers ... suggested that an effective human dose would be about 40 grams daily. The scientists speculated that xylitol's bone density-enhancing properties are due to its ability to promote intestinal absorption of calcium."

[There's more on this I just don't have in front of me.]

3. CONTRIBUTION TO THE GUT BIOME / GUT FLORA.

Polyols are in general toothfriendly, low-glycemic, low- insulinemic, help reduce overall glycemic load, and contribute to healthy colonic environment and function. This is the best article to find comparative glycemic discussions. G. Livesey, Health potential of polyols as sugar replacers, with emphasis on low-glycemic properties, Nutrition Research Reviews, vol. 16, pp. 163-191, 2003.

* Xylitol and glucose have different effects on the GI microflora. Xylitol caused a shift to a simpler, more gram-positive flora. Glucose led to higher rates of candida growth and invasion.(mice)

* C. albicans grown in galactose elicited maximal increase in adhesion followed by glucose and sucrose. Maltose and fructose also promoted adherence of Candida. Xylitol significantly reduced adherence of Candida to BECs. [this was mouth not gut]

"Xylitol has been shown to be effective in inhibiting Candida Albicans, a serious systemic yeast problem, and other harmful gut bacteria including H. Pylori, implicated in periodontal disease, bad breath, gastric and duodenal ulcers, and even stomach cancer."

continued in next post
edit on 28-5-2014 by RedCairo because: put in left-carat oops

link   
(continued)

4. IMMUNE-CONTRIBUTION

* Xylitol helped to inhibit adherence of Clostridium difficile, which is potentially useful for the prevention and treatment of pseudomembraneous colitis (antibiotic-associated diarrhea).

* Xylitol reduces the adherence of Streptococcus pneunomiae and Hemophilus influenzae to epithelial cells. from Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy

"One of xylitol's versatile benefits is its ability to inhibit the growth of bacteria that cause middle-ear infections in young children. In two recent studies involving over 1,000 children, xylitolflavored chewing gum was found to reduce the incidence of middle-ear infections by 40%, significantly decreasing ongoing middle-ear complications and the need for antibiotics."

"Regularly washing the nose with a spray containing xylitol decreases the number of harmful bacteria and stimulates normal defensive washing of this area. A clean nose reduces problems with allergies and asthma that originate from nasal irritants and pollutants."

5. HOW MUCH DAILY / 'ADAPT' / WITHOUT HARM

* 30 grams of xylitol per day was well tolerated by children with Type 1 diabetes.
* Ingestion of 50 grams of xylitol caused only a marginal increase of blood sugar

* Up to 60 grams of xylitol per day had no adverse effects on diabetic patients.

* 70 grams of xylitol per day caused no adverse reactions. (in T1 and T2 diabetics)

* Xylitol, with adaptation, is well-tolerated and safe to levels of at least 90 grams per day, with no subjective or objective adverse findings.

* In our own experiments, 100 grams (per day, after adaptation) was well-tolerated without much difficulty.

* Adaptation up to 200 grams per day in divided doses is possible. (german)

* Absorption decreases with increasing dosage. Blood chemistries were all normal.

* Even premature babies are fully capable of metabolizing xylitol. (german)

* The safety profile of xylitol was reviewed and found similar to the milk sugar lactose. Any adverse effects in animals were species-specific and not significant for humans.

6. EVERYTHING ELSE DENTAL

* Unsweetened wheat bread caused as much acid production as a sucrose solution; xylitol bread produced the least acid. The results indicated that wheat bread is fermentable by plaque bacteria. Addition of xylitol reduced the acid production from bread by about 30%.

* Polysaccharide exposed to xylitol was more water-soluble and the structure was more amorphous and granular. This could make dental plaque looser and less adhesive.

* In a six-week trial, S. mutans/sobrinus levels were reduced with three uses of xylitol gummy bears per day.

* …In teeth erupting during the first year of the use of xylitol gum the long-term preventive effect was greater than in other teeth.

* Further caries reduction was found 2 or 3 yr after the discontinuation of the use of xylitol.

* The results from economical point of view seem to be promising if xylitol is used before and around the eruption of teeth, and maybe even better if the aim of the programme is to prevent the colonization of SM in the mouth of early childhood.

"Xylitol only replaced about half the usual candy. The xylitol group had a 73% reduction in caries, and the decay they did have was much less severe."

"Xylitol reduced the likelihood of subjects’ developing caries in the five-year time period after they chewed the last experimental gum. When teeth erupted during the second year of habitual xylitol gum-chewing, the long-term caries risk reduction was 93%."

* Xylitol chewing gum reduced the occurrence of otitis media by 40%

* Xylitol helps prevent damage to teeth and gums during fixed orthodontic treatment.

* Xylitol improved periodontal health and reduced root surface caries in an elderly population.

* Xylitol should always be used immediately after exposure to sugar or other carbohydrates. [a research paper said that]

* Xylitol use also stimulated saliva, improved gingival health, and even help reduced cravings for cigarettes in several smokers.

* Tooth decay rates were cut in half by relatively small amounts of xylitol in hard candy.

* Most sugar alcohols (sorbitol, mannitol, lactitol, maltitol and hydrogenated starch hydrolysate (HSH) are fermented at much slower rates by oral flora than sucrose; however, with long-term use the oral microflora will adapt and they are then more acidogenic. Xylitol is an exception in that it is not fermented at all by normal oral flora and produces no caries.

* A study conducted at Harvard School of Dental Medicine concluded that: "Xylitol can significantly decrease the incidence of dental caries." ...showed a dramatic 70% reduction in tooth decay among children whose mothers chewed xylitol gum.

* ... Journal Of The American Geriatrics Society, researchers tested 111 adults, aged 60 and older, over a 12-month period. All were frail but healthy adults. ... the group who received xylitol gum had substantially lowered their risk of developing thrush, a fungal or yeast infection that can cause mouth soreness. ...

continued in next post

link   
(continued)

7. MISCELLANOUS HEALTH BENEFITS

Not all sugar alcohols share the same characteristics. The uncommon 5-carbon structure of xylitol may help explain some unique health benefits.

* In humans xylitol is first oxidized (dehydrogenated), and can be used for energy.

* Xylitol stimulates the synthesis of RNA and corticoids, which counteracts the inhibition of adrenal secretion caused by long-term steroid therapy

* Xylitol slows stomach emptying.

* Xylitol delayed stomach emptying and decreased food intake. Our data suggest a role for xylitol as a potentially important agent in dietary control.

* xylitol is an anticatabolic sugar with potential applications to sports and athletic performance. (from Nutritional alternatives to anabolic hormones)

* NUTRIENT DIGESTION Absorption-promoting effect of xylitol can perhaps be applied to mineral therapy. [it increases absorption of many things including minerals.]

* Xylitol particularly inhibited the growth of Pseudomonas aeruginosa, one of the most important species in chronic wound biofilms.

* This study provides evidence supporting a cream containing xylitol as a useful skin-care agent for atopic dry skin colonized by Staphylococcus aureus, a bacteria that can worsen atopic dermatitis (AD).

* Dietary xylitol has been shown to increase the amounts of newly synthesized collagen, and to decrease cross-linked collagen. Dietary xylitol supplementation may protect against some degenerative changes during aging.

* Xylitol increases salivary secretion rate and decreases feeling of dry mouth.

* Xylitol helps keep the antioxidant glutathione in its active (reduced) form.

* Ribose sugar and xylitol generate energy molecules in heart muscle. [in other tissues too, I've read]

* Xylitol helps protect red blood cell membranes.

* In the small intestine, xylitol is absorbed more slowly than other sugars.

* Dietary xylitol helped prevent B-vitamin deficiencies.

8. INCREDIBLY SERIOUS AND/OR SURGICAL BENEFITS

* Xylitol may have special pharmacologic properties during trauma or septicemia. Partial replacement of glucose calories with xylitol may result in an overall better utilization of nutrients. . from Xylitol, an energy source for intravenous nutrition after trauma, Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition

* Maximal glucose utilization is reduced during such states (trauma and sepsis), while the utilization of xylitol is more than doubled. from The mechanism of the reduction of protein catabolism following trauma and during sepsis

* Blood glucose and insulin levels were significantly lower in the xylitol:glucose group. from Carbohydrate and lipid metabolism following heart bypass operations.

* Xylitol blocked functional hepatic nitrogen clearace (FHNC) related to elevated glucagons levels. The mechanism whereby xylitol reduces nitrogen loss (muscle wasting) in stress metabolic conditions with hyperglucagonemia involves an effect on liver metabolism.

* It is, therefore, suggested that xylitol should be kept in mind for the treatment of cardiac arrhythmias during anesthesia.

* Xylitol has a stimulating effect on digestive enzymes. from Xylitol action on the gastric secretion and the external secretory function of the pancreas in patients with duodenal ulcer, (Russian)

* Xylitol can help compensate for enzyme deficiency (glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency) by generating NADPH. This reduces red blood cell destruction in certain hemolytic anemias.

* Single oral administration of xylitol increased the auditory threshold values of patients with Meniere’s disease.

* Myoadenylate deaminase deficiency is an inherited disease (relatively common but most are not symptomatic) caused by lack of an enzyme used to recycle the energy molecule ATP. MAD is characterized by exercise intolerance, muscle weakness, cramps and soreness. One treatment is to provide the 5-carbon sugar D-ribose. In this trial, 20 grams of xylitol per day resolved the symptoms at a lower cost than ribose (xylitol is a metabolic precursor of ribose).

* The osmolyte xylitol reduces the salt concentration of airway surface fluid and may enhance bacterial killing. from Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA.

* Xylitol may be of value in enhancing the innate antimicrobial defense at the airway surface.

9. STUFF RELATED TO DIABETES, DIABETICS, ETC.

* Xylitol produces benefits to the metabolic disorders in diabetes.

* We conclude that a patient with type II diabetes may benefit from replacing glucose and glucose equivalents with… xylitol.

* Since the conversion to glucose proceeds smoothly with no abrupt effects n the blood glucose level and insulin secretion, xylitol instead of sucrose in the diabetic makes metabolic control easier. In starvation, diabetes and stress situations, xylitol has a normalizing effect on fat metabolism.

* Xylitol is a natural insulin stabilizer, therefore it causes none of the abrupt rises and falls that occur with sugar.

10. INGESTING IT

Xylitol has approximately the same sweetness as sucrose sugar. Depending on the application, xylitol may seem slightly more or less sweet. To sweeten a cup of coffee, 13 grams of xylitol will be needed to replace 10 grams of sugar.

* Demonstrated that xylitol candy can be as effective as xylitol chewing gum, therefore the caries protection is not just a salivary effect from chewing. (contradicts an earlier study that felt it was more an issue of chewing.)

Sweetness of xylitol is similar to sucrose. Fructose is sweeter; glucose less sweet

Xylitol is found in a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, but in small quantities.

* Xylitol has 40% fewer calories and 75% fewer carbohydrates than sugar and is slowly absorbed and metabolised.

* The reduction of dental plaque and caries is achieved regardless of how the xylitol is administered. The only prerequisite is to get the xylitol into contact with the teeth.

11. MORE OBSCURE BENEFITS

* Polyols stabilize proteins against heat denaturation.

* Xylitol inhibits several important food-spoilage organisms.

(and "sugar free" candy with maltitol, which can be worse than sugar).

One study I read, noted the subjects refused to do any study with maltitol ever again LOL!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
its not sugar that is the problem.
its the cheap sugar Substitute High fructose corn syrup (HFCS)

i am not saying sugar is good for you but High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a lot worse.
drhyman.com...

HFCS and cane sugar are NOT biochemically identical or processed the same way by the body. High fructose corn syrup is an industrial food product and far from “natural” or a naturally occurring substance.
HFCS is almost always a marker of poor-quality, nutrient-poor disease-creating industrial food products or “food-like substances”.
edit on 28-5-2014 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join