It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Approves Military Pension Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill to restore the military pension benefits that were reduced by legislation in December.

I guess this goes to the Senate next.

Apparently the House chose to do this separately from any new legislation concerning the National Debt limit.

The original "cuts" were included in a larger bill before.

More than 800,000 people are affected.

House Approves Military Pension Bill

The House voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to restore full cost of living increases to pension benefits for younger military retirees, responding eagerly to election-year pressure from veterans groups.

The Senate debated a similar bill as lawmakers hastened to reverse course on the most controversial cut contained in budget legislation approved less than two months ago.

Approval of the measure was never in doubt in the House, where the final vote was 326-90.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I am one of those affected. This is good news. But now that it is in the senate, I won't be holding my breath. Though if it passes there, I may just breathe a sigh of relief.

I know it's only 1% and that it doesn't seem to most to be a whole lot. And it really isn't on a day to day basis. But it does accrue over the years to a rather large sum.

And once they start down this road, who would not be surprised at another 2, 3, 4 % decrease in the years ahead? All small sums at first glance, but a huge hit to those who rely upon their pension to get by.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Although I did not do a full 20 yrs, I have always been inclined to know where that money that I paid into for 6 years went, that money being the pension deduction. It seems it has vanished into thin air. Probably into some politicians pocket or a banker to never be seen from again by the likes of me.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

The last thing they should have cut is pensions for our veterans. What, they couldn't cut their own pensions or pay? I'm sure the thought never even crossed their minds.

It's their fault we're in this mess in the first place, they should be first in line to receive cuts, if not for affect, then simply for principle. I think it's telling of how our elected put their own interests before the rest of the country.
edit on 11-2-2014 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Brotherman

Although I did not do a full 20 yrs, I have always been inclined to know where that money that I paid into for 6 years went, that money being the pension deduction. It seems it has vanished into thin air. Probably into some politicians pocket or a banker to never be seen from again by the likes of me.

I would gladly give up the 1% if I could designate where the money went. I wish I could do the same with my taxes. I hate taxes mainly because I see the money wasted on such stupid [Snip]. If I actually knew by line where my money went...and had a say in it, I would probably be ok with it.

Of course, that'll never happen.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

All Im driving at is if I paid for a pension over the course of 6 active years encompasing multiple tours of war I'd like to know where it went. I have money paid into with companies I have welded for in 401ks that I no longer work for and they still send me a quarterly statement. Not once have I ever recieved such a statement from uncle sam, does that money just disappear? Do I get any of it ever again, I mean what happened to it? I have not been able to ever get a clear answer on that.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Brotherman

All Im driving at is if I paid for a pension over the course of 6 active years encompasing multiple tours of war I'd like to know where it went. I have money paid into with companies I have welded for in 401ks that I no longer work for and they still send me a quarterly statement. Not once have I ever recieved such a statement from uncle sam, does that money just disappear? Do I get any of it ever again, I mean what happened to it? I have not been able to ever get a clear answer on that.

I'm sure since you didn't do 20 and aren't entitled to it, it either went back into the general military budget or was just added to the pension plan as part of the current years payment. We do thank you for your service.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

if the military actually did their job of protecting America from its enemies both foreign and domestic this wouldn't be an issue, but alas they just follow orders. Like the SS just followed orders. Im glad my forefathers didn't just follow orders. America needs its military to protect them and the military is no where to be found. Spout your bs excuses, but truth of matter is either you believe America is not under attack or you believe its not your job to protect it. Home of the brave my a**.
edit on 11-2-2014 by slunteri because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

given the typical manner of .gov agencies and the like, any 'returns' you may have otherwise seen would be near if not entirely negated by the 'costs' of providing such access to each and evry common joe seeking the same.

moar 'bureaucracy' and 'costly 'red tape' aren't anywhere we need to be looking to, considering, at this point, imho.

??

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Brotherman

Twice a year while I served, I recieved two pieces of mail. One from the Social Security Admin. and the other from DoD/DFAS.

Both broke down what I had put into the system for the year and services that I recieved. I always thought that they were both full of [Snip].

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Yeah I tend to not think they are telling the truth. I just think it is a bit of a scam from their end, I know that military retirement and civilian is different either you do 20 and retire or you don't and don't get to retirement benefits but it still begs the question where does the money go. Especially since military retirement is not a pay in system like civilian IDK like the poster ahead was saying about BScracy and red tape etc etc.

posted on Feb, 11 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

There is simplistic part of me that tells me that all the taxes I have paid over the years, I am now recieving as my pension, on which I'm still paying taxes. LOL. Ouch! Now my head hurts.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There is absoluley no reason for military benefits to be cut.

Not when those clowns blow billions of dollars studying cow farts, and other well known nonsense.

But other government employees got raises! !

Honestly it is disgusting to see how the military gets treated.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

kx12x

It's their fault we're in this mess in the first place, they should be first in line to receive cuts, if not for affect, then simply for principle.

This nearly made me spit out my coffee..."principles"???

We are talking about DC! To them morals are paintings on walls and scruples is money in Russia.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It really wasn't smart of the corporate masters to have their pets implement cuts to vets. More and more people everyday are able to pinpoint who is ultimately behind War, they ought to be licking the boots of the soldiers that ensure their wealth at the cost of their own sanity, health and lives.

posted on Feb, 12 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well this are good news for my husband that is veteran after serving 22 years, sadly due to his present job working as a contractor for the DOD every penny of his retirement and more goes to pay taxes.

So the government is no losing a penny on him, actually they are making a killing with the taxes we pay.

top topics

join