It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't some ATSers differentiate between Transgender vs Transsexual?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Sorry if it sounds like a rant at hello. But to me, it's such a fundamental, you know, like Phys Ed 101. My theory is we are so engrained into seeing dichotomies in America, ie, dem vs rep, black vs white, gay vs straight, etc

A transgender is someone who changed their gender role (as opposed to what gender they were initially raised as)

A transsexual is someone who changed their sex; ie MTF or FTM (and it actually doesn't necessarily mean they change their gender role).

Yes a man can chose to be castrated, have a vagina constructed, yet still associate with being a man as far as gender

Why did I create yet another topic about gender identity? Because it seems to be possibly the majority here do not seem to deny ignorance as far as gender vs sex

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

There are two sexes, Male and Female, meaning, if you take a cell and clone it, you will get their sex.

i don't care about gender. or give a two hoot about it!

Tomorrow there might be a Trans plant and Trans metal gender, where they change their genital into a robotic mechanism or a flower.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The better question is, why does it matter? This website isn't exactly a hotbed of LBGT rights discourse, so why should it be a priority for the members to know the various buzzwords associated with that movement? That's like going into an IT tech forum and asking why all the members don't know gaming lingo. Sure some (most probably) play video games and may even discuss them in the forums, but it isn't required knowledge for the forums.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
TO me thats like saying all non-white people are black.

Why limit genders to black and white? That's already what sex does.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
The better question is, why does it matter? This website isn't exactly a hotbed of LBGT rights discourse, so why should it be a priority for the members to know the various buzzwords associated with that movement? That's like going into an IT tech forum and asking why all the members don't know gaming lingo. Sure some (most probably) play video games and may even discuss them in the forums, but it isn't required knowledge for the forums.

Dude this is actually the Social Issues category. What social issues (that you feel are more ATS-worthy) are you discussing on ATS, today? =D

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Don't forget transvestite and metrosexual and...I'm sure I'm forgetting many.

So many labels, it's no wonder that people don't understand the meanings of all of them or want to bother learning them.

Not to mention they are all so unnecessary.

+15 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

gardener
My theory is we are so engrained into seeing dichotomies in America, ie, dem vs rep, black vs white, gay vs straight, etc

I disagree with your observation.

Unless there is a genetic fluke and a child is born with some form of physical abnormality they are physically Male or Female.

That's the way the vast majority on Earth View them

Sexual preference on the other hand is sexual preference.

What one chooses to do with or to their own bodies is their choice.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
^ Are those genders or sexes? This thread is about differentiating between gender and sex.

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I'm not saying that LGBT issues can't be discussed here. I'm just failing to see the need to get all outraged because people don't know the various buzzwords to your pet social issue in these forums.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
@ SLAYER69

My whole point is that male sex does not equal man (masculine) gender
and likewise with female.

If one is refuting that, then one is claiming to deny/ignore gender rights.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
If you aren't currently discussing any other social issues in the Social Issues cat of ATS, then what does that mean?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Your definitions are not quite right. Transgender is more of an umbrella term that includes transsexuals.

All transsexuals by definition are transgender, but not all transgender are transsexual.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

gardener
Sorry if it sounds like a rant at hello. But to me, it's such a fundamental, you know, like Phys Ed 101. My theory is we are so engrained into seeing dichotomies in America, ie, dem vs rep, black vs white, gay vs straight, etc

A transgender is someone who changed their gender role (as opposed to what gender they were initially raised as)

A transsexual is someone who changed their sex; ie MTF or FTM (and it actually doesn't necessarily mean they change their gender role).

Yes a man can chose to be castrated, have a vagina constructed, yet still associate with being a man as far as gender

Why did I create yet another topic about gender identity? Because it seems to be possibly the majority here do not seem to deny ignorance as far as gender vs sex

ATS is but a microcosm of society and to say that some don't understand the difference is fair...and just that.

Society as a whole is still confused as to what is what IMO. Not just ATS.

Why?

I believe it's because society has been bombarded with "equal rights for all" and "We Demand to be recognized" type of approaches.

My question to you is why we should be forced to recognize anything if we Don't want to? Why the big parades if wanting to be equal for gay rights but setting the gay community as above an "special?"

Not the same I know but it seems to me that if someone wants to be equal they should just fight for that rather thsn the front page.

AND:

Why did I create yet another topic about gender identity?

My question exactly. Do you fit into the topic? If so...just say so and you might be surprised as to how many here want to learn rather than be preached to.

IMO.

Peace

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That's the way the vast majority on Earth View them

And of course, the majority is always right.

While primary sexual characteristics are indeed bipolar, it does seem that it can go deeper than that.
snarkytransman.tumblr.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

What the point of genders? more labels to separate each other?

No one can run away from what they were BORN WITH!

Tanned white guy is still a white guy, bleached black guy is still a black guy.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Because the idea is to deny ignorance. If a person is going to comment an issue they should know about that in which they speak of, IMO anyway.

And hey just saw your sig, I just used that song in another thread haha.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Actually, I'm saying indeed why lump transgenders with transsexuals.... DENY IGNORANCE

You said for yourself word for word, that not all transgenders are transsexuals, hello?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

We have absolutely no way of knowing whether it's an abnormality or not. Several animal species can switch gender or are both and can self reproduce. All life on earth isn't so different from each other DNA wise. Personally I haven't read much science on gender and DNA but I think it stands to reason that humans could have the same coding albeit generally inactive, that allows for gender to not be so easily defined.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Phage

Never implied that.

"That's the way the vast majority on Earth View them"

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Phage

While primary sexual characteristics are indeed bipolar, it does seem that it can go deeper than that.
snarkytransman.tumblr.com...

Finally, a stellar ATSer that can see past the group-think/think out of the box!

There is no gene for transsexualism, but many genes each with a tiny effect.

Interestingly little peak at an organic/genetic basis for behavioral patterns.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join