It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Invasion Attempt Stopped By Woman With A Shotgun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Now this is the kind of story to start my day off right. It's even a story out of California, to restore some hope in sanity there for citizens being willing and able to take responsibility for their own defense in their homes!

Cheviot Hills, California on the westside of Los Angeles is within a short drive of Fox Studios and Sony Pictures, and is one of the lowest density neighborhoods of LA. That doesn’t mean that the sleepy community is crime-free … or entirely asleep, either. Burglars who had started a spree of B&Es in the neighborhood brought it to an abrupt halt when they discovered Carla awake — and armed:

Indeed.. They got more than they bargained for with this one. Having already robbed one house on the street, they thought they'd make it a pair, I guess... Well, a wildcard called their bluff for this hand and they folded like a cheap suit.

I really enjoy the homeowners quotes tho....

“I’m not a sitting duck,” says Carla. She prefers to keep her last name private. Carla is a Cheviot Hills homeowner who scared away burglars when she grabbed her shotgun and fired.
Source

Amen and good for her. No one should be a sitting duck within their own home. If one clicks over to the Youtube page for the video above, on the right side are some videos of victims of home invasions who didn't fare so well at the 'tender mercies' of the criminals there to victimize them. At least this homeowner was able to stand her ground and repel the assault.

Go Girl Go!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
According to gun enthusiasts, she could have done this with a knife, or a baseball bat.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This is simply one example of the many out there that illustrate the fact that guns, by and large, are used more by law abiding citizens in their own defense, than they are by criminals.

Criminality is an aberration of society. It is a minority, but an active enough minority to justify our concern. Criminality is found in every aspect of life. From the gang banger who uses guns to commit his crimes, to the Wall St. white collar who uses his position to steal from society, to the government officials who use their positions to kill people and steal from society. But these people are NOT the rule. They are the exception. While what they do has a large impact on society, they are not a large part of society and policy should not reflect the notion that they are.

This is where gun control and prohibition policies lose credibility. In the name of dealing with an aberrant minority, they take away the rights of, and punish the law abiding majority. Leaving the aberrant minority with the same tools at their disposal and the law abiding with less and less.

Gun control is not, in my opinion, about guns. It is about control of the people. It certainly isn't about criminals either. Because if it were about criminals policy would justly revolve around the punishment of crime and not the objects used in crime.
edit on pMon, 10 Feb 2014 06:23:33 -0600201410America/Chicago2014-02-10T06:23:33-06:0028vx2 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Score one for the good guy!!

People need to quit behaving like future victims and expecting everyone else out there to follow the law the way they do. THEY DON'T. And in an unknown hour, on an idle Wednesday one may be unfortunate enough to be in a life threatening situation where the cops are not surrounding them with protection. That is the moment you will be thankful that you too, were no sitting duck!

If everyone protected themselves, folks would ease up on the dumbassery that seems to be spreading like the plague.
edit on 2/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   

sn0rch
According to gun enthusiasts, she could have done this with a knife, or a baseball bat.

I have always found that type of mindset absolutely insane. For groups to complain about a person defending themselves / property while at the same time completely ignoring the fact that a person was committing a crime.

Burglar breaks into residence to steal items - no comment.
Homeowner arms themselves and defends themselves / property - Good God, we cant have this anarchy among gun owners. They could have caused damage to the burglar.

There is a thread floating around on here when Pro gun control group took a firearm into a school. The logic behind that action is lost. This group advocates gun control apparently by using itself as the example.

I will take my chances with an armed citizen and day of the week and twice on Sundays as opposed to dealing with the Anti-Gun groups.

Law Enforcement has finite resource and manpower. The argument by some that people must rely on Law Enforcement for protection / safety is absolutely absurd. The purpose of Law Enforcement is to protect society as a whole, not the individual. Individuals must reply on themselves for protection first (and know the laws that go along with it).

I would rather investigate the shooting of a burglar by a homeowner than investigate the death of a homeowner because of a burglar.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I always have though that laws against guns only prevent law obedient citizens from acquiring guns, if someone is going to commit a crime a law wont prevent that person from getting a gun anyways.

Gun controls are foolishness if its pushed as a way to prevent crimes, its only good to prevent popular revolts and that's why governments want them, to never lose control of what is not really theirs.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Good to hear about Mom taking care of business.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Xcathdra

Law Enforcement has finite resource and manpower. The argument by some that people must rely on Law Enforcement for protection / safety is absolutely absurd. The purpose of Law Enforcement is to protect society as a whole, not the individual. Individuals must reply on themselves for protection first (and know the laws that go along with it).

I tire of this argument myself. While I have not needed the police but once in my life, it took them hours to get there after I called. When I left home at 17, I lived by myself. I came home after work one day to discover my house had been broken into. It took a minute or so to figure out that someone had been there. Nothing was torn up, but you could tell things had been moved. While I was looking for everything that was missing (about 10 minutes in), the back door doorknob started turning back and forth. I went ahead and called 911 to send the police. I think they just wanted to scare me (It pissed me off), so whoever was fooling with the door stopped, but it took cops 2 full hours to get there.

I would never want to kill/hurt anybody, but if it comes down to it... I will not hesitate, nor will I expect the police to make a timely entrance to save the day after that experience.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

There's no way for this to be an 'all good' news story. Somebody's gonna bring charges against this woman for something.[/pessimism]

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

We don't get too many home invasion robberies in my area, but that is probably because most of the dummies who have attempted such have ended up in the hospital and jail respectively. It is much more common for the invaders to be shot by the home owner than for the home owner to be killed in the robbery. God bless Texas!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It is far better to be judged 12 than to be carried by 6. There is nothing like a good old 12 gauge to get the attention of and intruder. A Remington 870 pump is a real crowd pleaser and just racking a round will cause intruders to soil themselves. The lady did the right thing, it's her house and there were vermin inside, perfect job for the trusty old scatter gun. Worked like a champ, busted a cap and no more vermin.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Home Invasion Attempt Stopped By Woman With A Shotgun

Good for her!

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This is messed up!

She should have called 9-1-1, waited, gotten terrified, beaten, maybe killed, had her things stolen, destroyed her life, her sense of peace. . . .

Instead, she damaged the self-esteem of some young people who were just trying to redistribute her wealth.

I hope they lock her up!

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I too think it's great that this lady was able to protect herself with her shotgun and I'd bet those burglars think twice before going on to their next job.

On the other hand, I don't see what this has to do with gun control. If anything, this just proves that you don't necessarily need an "assault weapon" in order to successfully defend yourself. Hell, I think V.P. Joe Biden even advocated for getting yourself a shotgun, didn't he?

While I'll admit that there are some extremist out there, most gun control advocates are not in favor of taking away a person's right to own guns for protection. We just don't see the need for military style assault weapons in the public realm. I think that lady's gun will hold five rounds max. and from what I could tell, she didn't have to fire a damn one of them to be effective.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

beezzer
This is messed up!

she damaged the self-esteem of some young people who were just trying to redistribute her wealth

You're right. They were Entitled to her wealth..

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
At some point you have to take RESPONSIBILTY for your own safety.

She is RIGHT.

Good for her.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

On the other hand, I don't see what this has to do with gun control.

Let's see:

A person who someone else is trying to victimize has a faster response time that the Police, and the government.

Do you really believe in that gun control nonsense ?

Really ?

Support the police state ?

What good have gun laws done except making an act that is already illegal 'more' illegal.
edit on 10-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
She gets the thumbs from me!, a legend in the making.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

sn0rch

It is call stand off range.

If your close enough to hurt someone else THEY are close enough to hurt you.

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

neo96
reply to post by Flatfish

On the other hand, I don't see what this has to do with gun control.

Let's see:

A person who someone else is trying to victimize has a faster response time that the Police, and the government.

I don't think that anyone in history has ever argued that someone on the scene of any crime has a longer response time than someone who isn't even there. So, what's your point?

neo96
Do you really believe in that gun control nonsense ?

I do not believe that guns should be outlawed, but I do believe that there are certain weapons that should be kept out of the public realm or at least highly restricted.

neo96
Really ?

Yes.

neo96
Support the police state ?

Never said anything of the sort. Apparently you just really love making # up, don't you?

neo96
What good have gun laws done except making an act that is already illegal 'more' illegal.

IMO, here's a better question; What good has the availability of assault weapons in the public realm done?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join