It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So Long, Cigs: Michelle Obama Praises CVS For Pulling Tobacco

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

CVS Caremark pharmacies will phase out tobacco in U.S. retail stores by Oct. 1, a move swiftly embraced by President Barack Obama and the first lady on Wednesday as a step that would save lives and promote good health.

www.nbcnews.com...

Oh that's nice smokers get hit again. In an EPIC boneheaded move that wreaks of nothing, but the progressive agenda.

Hell between Diet pills,soft drinks,candy bars, chips, and latest dietary fashion statement CVS pulls 'cigarettes'.

While it is their perogative to sell what ever they want. They are not fooling anyone with this 'statement'.

Bout the only thing drug stores sell that has anything to do with health is what their pharmacies do.

Well Deserved praise ?

I don't think so.

The chain will lose about $2 billion in revenues annually from sales of tobacco in its 7,600 stores

LOSE $ 2 BILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR ! ! ! !

And in other news:

Democrats Call for Ban on E-Cigarettes on Capitol Grounds..

Hell let's add one more freedom of speech, and assembly has been banned on Capitol Grounds too.
edit on 5-2-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+28 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The prescriptions they sell kill more people than cigarettes do..

second...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

signalfire
reply to post by neo96

The prescriptions they sell kill more people than cigarettes do..

second...

Gee why don't those get banned instead then eh ?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Here in Canada, Pharmacies have been forbidden from selling tobacco for years now. The only places to get a pack of cigs, are gas stations, and they are required by law to hide them behind a curtain.

Honestly, they try making you feel like you're buying something perverted. Pretty soon, smokers will be forced to go into dark alleys and buy them off guys in trench coats.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
There shop there rules.

Simple.

Dont like it dont shop there.

O wait sorry the above is only ok if you agree with there decsions otherwise they are evil dirty commie progressives.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This country is screwed up! I cant smoke! Unless it's a joint, that ok. It's for pain,Wink wink, nudge nudge.

link   
"My right to smoke is being taken away from me! But freedom of speech!!! Evil OBAMA!! Taking my guns away and now my cigarettes!!"

"They'll be going out of business soon once smokers boycott"!!!!!!11111111111111111

Seriously though as others have pointed out, their business their rules.

In my opinion it's time that businesses that purport to be interested in their customers health and well being to get out of the business of selling cigarettes
edit on 2/5/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
link   
Did CVS announce layoffs yet?

Or are they saving that part for later?

People will certainly boycott the whole store now.

Walgreens will get more business.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Well, north of 49, the drug stores had no choice. This decision was legislated in...

Many Ma and Pa type pharmacies were not on board with this as tobacco was a big part of revenue. I'm sure the larger chains lobbied for this to push out the smaller businesses though.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

crazyewok
There shop there rules.

Simple.

O wait sorry the above is only ok if you agree with there decsions otherwise they are evil dirty commie progressives.

I wonder how come that 'rational' didn't work for guns since they were banned at stores across this country.

'Don't like it don't shop there'.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

muse7
"My right to smoke is being taken away from me! But freedom of speech!!! Evil OBAMA!! Taking my guns away and now my cigarettes!!"

"They'll be going out of business soon once smokers boycott"!!!!!!11111111111111111

Seriously though as others have pointed out, their business their rules.

In my opinion it's time that businesses that purport to be interested in their customers health and well being to get out of the business of selling cigarettes
edit on 2/5/2014 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

By that logic guns have no right to be banned.

Their store their rules after all.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Lots of people are saying their business their rules. I agree 100%, they can choose not to let you poison yourself.
Now there was a thread going around yesterday about hobby lobby not having abortion pills on their insurance plan. The same rule applies right? Their business their rules.
I'm gunna catch hell for this one. Lol,hehe, snicker

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

neo96

I wonder how come that 'rational' didn't work for guns since they were banned at stores across this country.

'Don't like it don't shop there'.

For someone who is supposidly "free market" your pretty socilist in your views on freedom buisness are allowed to have in reguards be allowing to decide what they can and can not sell..

O thats right Freedom only works oneway for you.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

crazyewok
There shop there rules.

Simple.

I love it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

For someone who is supposidly "free market" your pretty socilist in your views on freedom buisness are allowed to have in reguards be allowing to decide what they can and can not sell..

I took a page from the anti gunners who are not 'free market'.

What people suddenly have a problem with telling business what they can or can't do ?

That is not what they said with the care act, and regulation in general.

O thats right Freedom only works oneway for you.

I love how 'one way freedom' works don't you ?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

xuenchen
Did CVS announce layoffs yet?

Or are they saving that part for later?

People will certainly boycott the whole store now.

Walgreens will get more business.

With the loss of 2 billion dollars in revenue, plus the care act.

Yeah I see layoffs in CVS's future.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

You think your smokers have got it bad, up here in bc canada, a pack of smokes will on average cost you about 9-10 bucks and cartons are around a $100, plus all the restrictions on where we can and can not smoke.

When you think about it a pharmacy shouldnt be selling tobacco anyways. it would be the same if they sold liqour at a pharmacy, it just should not happen. Its ethics, you wouldnt sell that stuff at a hospital so why should it be sold in a pharmacy. This time around I agree with the Obamas.

Yes it sucks that one company wont sell them, but boo hoo, cigs can be bought at practicaly any store, plus I know americans are paying at least half the price that we do on smokes. Hell you guys pay half the price that we do on practicaly everything.

my conclusion....

Stop whining, walk an extra 30 feet to the next store and by your smokes there.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
There are thousands of other places to buy cigarettes.
I haven't seen a CVS in my city in years anyway.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If your company can make a move that will get the first-lady of the U.S. to praise you, thus immediately garnering nationwide news-coverage - hey, why not? Good marketing there CVS.

And, by the way...I never shopped at your stores anyway, now I certainly wouldn't. I'd walk an extra mile past you for a Camel

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It is their business and I respect their right to make the operating procedure for the stores they own.

If they want to cave in to the administration and kiss their butts - or - They Feel that it is the truly proper thing to do then they have the right too do so. They will have to face any financial repercussions that come from the choice, and it should be HUGE unless the government subsidizes them some way.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join