It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man pays kids delinquent school lunch bills...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

HOUSTON - In his 10 years as a mentor and tutor, a local man has always done his best to meet the needs of the students in his life. That's exactly what Kenny Thompson did Monday when he learned that some children at Valley Oaks Elementary School in Houston who had negative balances on their lunch accounts were receiving different lunches than the other kids, cold cheese sandwiches instead a full tray of food. He was spurred to take action after hearing last week that dozens of Utah students, whose accounts were delinquent, had their lunches taken and thrown away.

www.click2houston.com...

I think this is an absolutely wonderful thing.

Personally, I would never have come forward to admit that I had done this. I just feel that doing something good for someone else, beyond yourself and the person you helped, should remain private. Not something you seek out praise for. Although frankly, this guy doesn't strike me as a praise seeker. He seems rather genuine.

+28 more 
posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I would announce it, not to brag.

I would do it to shame,
Shame a system that would humiliate a child,
Throw away their lunch, or treat them like a prisoner bread and water meal.

One man changed something with such a small act,

What's a few hundred dollars,

Hell what's a few thousand to treat a child like a child.

by doing this and making it public he may cause a ripple that might get something positive done.
edit on 5-2-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I hope this guy isn't just being a sap. Some of these kids were probably just keeping his lunch money to spend on other things. I know mine did.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

In Elementary?

Because mine did the same thing, but it didn't start until 8th or 9th grade, when they were able to get somewhere else to spend it.

This man is amazing.
But it is a sad state of affairs we are in, when someone has to do this in the first place.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

He not only inquired about it, Thompson learned that many of the kids were already on reduced lunch. Children whose parents couldn't afford the meals that cost just 40 cents a day. He took $465 of his own money and zeroed out the delinquent accounts of more than 60 kids.

Clever little punks, man what could they being doing with that 40cents a day.

Whoa in a month that's like 12 dollars, hope those kids aren't spending their ill gotten gains in one place...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by zeroBelief

Anybody want to wager how long it takes before the government comes after him?
Because nobody would ever help someone out just out of the kindness of their heart....right?
or....
O.
M.
G.

Could it be.....?!?
Humanity might just have a heart after all!?

AND MOMMY AND DADDY GOVERNMENT MIGHT JUST BE A BUNCH OF OBSESSIVE CONTROL-FREAK SOCIOPATHS AND NARCISSIST THUGS RUNNING AROUND TRYING TO OVERCOMPENSATE BECAUSE OF THEIR PENIS INSECURITY?

O.
M.
G.
no waaaay!

Charity and kindness is prevelent, but the GOVERNMENT WILL GO OUT OF ITS WAY TO INTERVENE- i.e in many cities, it's illegal to give food or shelter to homeless without a liscence... ***

***AKA-
PERMISSION FROM THE GOVERNMENT.

Hey sheep, how's that democracy working for you?
Did you and the two wolves decide what you were having for dinner?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ltinycdancerg

Can be proven by feeding a parking meter that's not your car in front of a cop in any major city.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

like robin hooders in the Shire

my Free State homies!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

benrl

He not only inquired about it, Thompson learned that many of the kids were already on reduced lunch. Children whose parents couldn't afford the meals that cost just 40 cents a day. He took $465 of his own money and zeroed out the delinquent accounts of more than 60 kids.

Clever little punks, man what could they being doing with that 40cents a day.

Whoa in a month that's like 12 dollars, hope those kids aren't spending their ill gotten gains in one place...

Dude this isn't 1965. Lunches cost 2.50 and up depending.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

chiefsmom

In Elementary?

Because mine did the same thing, but it didn't start until 8th or 9th grade, when they were able to get somewhere else to spend it.

This man is amazing.
But it is a sad state of affairs we are in, when someone has to do this in the first place.

Something doesn't make much sense about this. It is so easy to qualify for free lunches in public schools these days. At least around here. I wonder if calls were made to the home to inquire?

Sometimes my son forgets his lunch and they just give it to him free at school. Tell him not to worry about it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Good for him.

My wife and I had this discussion the other night. If we were in the school, there would never
be a child who wouldn't get to eat a hot lunch, as long as we had some money in our pockets.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

If you really want to help out, most schools, many schools always need money for basic education supplies. I sent my twins to school with a 25$ check apiece for the schools general fund and they were so shocked the administrator called me and thanked me. I am thinking like for what 50$? Must be lots of cheep skates out there.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

We donate, not money, but school supplies each year.

Also, at work we're always having "Jean Days", most of the time, the donations go to area schools
or children's programs.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Why do you say the kids in question are "Delinquents" ???
edit on 5-2-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

The lunch bills were delinquent, not the children.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Pimpish
reply to post by Soloprotocol

The lunch bills were delinquent, not the children.

Cheers...Just found out i'm dyslexic.. i've been reading "Delinquent kids" all morning. Bummer..

edit on 5-2-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Actually, I believe .40 is the government standard for reduced lunch, not free.
My sons actually got one year, while I was getting divorced. After that, I made too much money (which really was a joke at the time.)

But, at our local schools, they tell the kids, hey, your behind. The parents didn't actually get a letter, until the kids had been cut off for lack of payment.

I understand now, some schools have the kids lunch accounts available online, but that isn't going to help a poor family with no internet.

Heck, I still don't have it at home, so I would imagine I'm not alone.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is just the tip of the iceberg what it takes to make communities family outside of anything that any political party is doing. We're not supposed to program ourselves with political ideologies. And those with more resources are supposed to create eutopias and abundance in everyone's lives. And those who are healthy and energetic amongst the struggling are supposed overcome their differences and blame towards others, and start to have compassion instead, group up and get things going so they're only buying from each other and those with integrity, integrity being those committed to creating abundance and clean energy for all, empowerment and happiness for all. Its always been what communities should be doing no matter what government is in.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The poor kids can't pay for lunch, lets throw it in the trash. I will never understand people that think like this
edit on 2/5/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by zeroBelief

What a wonderful thing to do.

I have thought about what I could do locally to help kids who need lunch. I don't know if schools would allow homemade lunches to be delivered to those who need it but I would like to do something. I don't have the money to really pay for school lunches for those in need. I know I could make an awesome bag lunch.

Cheese sandwich??? No more PBJ?

I'm not surprised to be honest. My mom works at an elementary school and I worked there about 12yrs ago myself. Well they no longer make PBJ they give them those Smuckers Crustables, which are not very good and are full of crap and HFCS. My mom said a lot of kids won't eat them either and instead of saving them the schools TOSS them! They aren't allowed to keep them for another even though they are wrapped in plastic! What a waste! Those things are not cheap either. What they charge you could buy some PBJ and make more sandwiches than they give you in a box.

No child should ever go without a meal. I don't care what their financial situation is. Don't punish a child for something they have no control over. Take it up with the parent! By taking lunches away or giving them something other than what is served punishes the kid and embarrasses them. It's not right to punish a child like that and they are punishing the child by doing this.

This man is a good person. It is nice to see good in the world still exists.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join