It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian couple opens Detroit eatery called The Bomb

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Jagerbombs in England?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

It's comprised of two entry winners from a contest where they had to use a Hollywood star and make them into an evil clown. I liked both of them so I blended them, added a few things, and viola out came my avatar.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

abe froman

Jagerbombs in England?

Another great example. All those "Irish Car Bombs" are terribly insensitive, right? Can't serve those anymore and anyone caught drinking one must be a terrorist.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So, when did Syrians nuke Detroit?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

Right after they got plutonium from Doc.Brown.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by sheepslayer247

"The Bomb" I like it, very catchy. Who cares if they're Syrian... except the easily offended PC people. Hope they do well in their endeavor and have a great time doing it.

Enough of the thin skinned baby whiners.
edit on 793pm4242pm122014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

Agreed. I find it funny that the Arab-American Civil Rights League is jumping on this. They should be fighting to stop the stereotyping and terror-association, yet I believe they are furthering the stereotype instead.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

I thought it shows an unusual sense of humour - think of the publicity they have gotten themselves. Hope their food lives up to its name.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Come on in and have a 'blast'!! Now if this were in Boston or New York or Oklahoma this would be very distasteful indeed.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We had a Vietnamese noodle shop down the road from me open up called, "PHO KING".

If you know anything about Pho, you'd know it's pronounced "Fuh". Apparently someone must have complained and didn't find it amusing, as the name has since been changed.

I think that if they want to call it "The Bomb" let them. There are white suicide bombers and terrorists too. Look at the OKC bombings, or the Unibomber.

I don't know about anyone else, but nothing hits the spot better than some "bomb" middle eastern food. *shrug*. People just want an excuse to throw hate at an ethnic group they've been programmed to dislike. People today have a lot of undefined anger, and they're simply dumping it on whoever their church or politician tells them to.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

I disagree. "The bomb" is a slang term that is used by many. It has nothing to do with attacks, past or present, and I do not find any situation in which it would be distasteful....except in a professional business setting.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Monger

The third person to state this.

*sigh*

I guess it'd be ok to name it The Bomb, until the US gets attacked by a middle eastern nation.

Then it might be tacky.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
We had a Vietnamese noodle shop down the road from me open up called, "PHO KING".

If you know anything about Pho, you'd know it's pronounced "Fuh". Apparently someone must have complained and didn't find it amusing, as the name has since been changed.

Yeah, I used to go to a Thai restaurant called "Phuket". Of course in Tai, the Ph does not have an "F" sound, like it often does in English, so it's pronounced "Poo-ket". But all my friends used to jokingly call the restaurant something else.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

beezzer
reply to post by Monger

I guess it'd be ok to name it The Bomb, until the US gets attacked by a middle eastern nation.

Then it might be tacky.

Would it be tacky to open an establishment in NY called The Plane?

Even if the spokesman was Hervé Villechaize...

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Dang it, now I want either

1. Pho
2. Naan
3. Lamb curry
4. Falafel
6. Sushi

Not necessarily in that order. It's not even lunchtime for me yet!

link   

thisguyrighthere

abe froman

Jagerbombs in England?

Another great example. All those "Irish Car Bombs" are terribly insensitive, right? Can't serve those anymore and anyone caught drinking one must be a terrorist.

I will say one thing,

Don't order one in Ireland.

Had an Irish immigrant friend who found the name EXTREMELY distasteful.

Just saying, theres nothing Wrong with be sensitive to another cultures sensibilities.

That being said, its their right to name the restaurant anything they want, just as its the right of the consumer not to go there.

Let the free market decide these things,

The media is to eager to drum these type of stories up to a fever.

link   

sheepslayer247
reply to post by whatnext21

I disagree. "The bomb" is a slang term that is used by many. It has nothing to do with attacks, past or present, and I do not find any situation in which it would be distasteful....except in a professional business setting.

What do you mean by "professional business setting"

Can I walk into the airport with a sticker on my carry on that says bomb without backlash and or arrest?

I can understand why some might feel upset with the name of the eatery no different then the people in here upset at people who are upset, seems kind of silly when you really think about it.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I have a question. How is the food there. I don't care about the name of the place as long as the food is good.

They probably serve food containing cyanides, like brocolli and cranberries. Maybe they are poisoning everyone slowly with arsenic that is naturally present in the rice and apples. I guess they might be using Sarin as this is a fluoride gas and all they have to do is serve fluoridated water or some steamy tea.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

This tells us that normal Muslims do not want to be associated with extremists Muslims.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

beezzer

Imagine opening an American food joint called "The Bomb" in Hiroshima.

Food for thought. . . . (pun)

But does Japan have a equivelent of the 1st amendment?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Would Christians be upset if I opened a noodle shop called "The Holy Ramen Empire" and was run by a bunch of atheists wearing pasta strainers on their heads? All meals would be served with a prayer to the flying spaghetti monster and ended by saying, "Raaaaaaameeeeeeeen" (Instead of amen).

Or how about I start a place that has the BEST food in the world, but all the menu items are named after sex organs or are explicit in nature. In order to have any food, you would be REQUIRED to say the embarrassing/foul/crass names. If you didn't, you would not get served.

I think it would be hilarious to get people to say foul things they'd normally never say because the food is so awesome.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join