It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian couple opens Detroit eatery called The Bomb

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

A couple from Syria who opened up a Detroit eatery called The Bomb says they have no intentions of changing the restaurant’s name, even though some may find it’s in poor taste.

"I think it’s distasteful. I think it feeds into the certain stereotypes that are out there, that somehow, someway associate Arab Americans with bombs, destructive devices or some sort of violence. I would urge them really to reconsider a different name, [instead of] using a name that may be hurtful to a certain community," Nabih Ayad, of the Arab American Civil Rights League, told the station.

So, these people open a restaurant. No problem there.

They name the restaurant "the bomb" since the food is spicy (and also an attempt to have a catchy/hip name). No problem.

But they are Syrian/Middle Eastern. Thats a problem?

I think this shows that many people are too sensitive and really need to lighten up. Too many have a preconcieved notion that Middle East= terrorism....and that is sad.

What say you, ATS? Catchy name or offensive garbage?

Source
edit on 4-2-2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i say, broken link

If it were a taco place, wouldn't be funny to call it the bomb?
edit on 4-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Imagine opening an American food joint called "The Bomb" in Hiroshima.

Food for thought. . . . (pun)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
If someone doesn't like it then don't eat there.
I think its creative and now they have free advertising from the media. Well done.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

Fixed the link. Thanks for pointing that out.

And you have a point. If this was a Mexican place or a Chinese buffet, would people have an issue with the name? According to the source, its people within the Arab American community that have an issue with this.

What does that tell us?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Maybe they are afraid of the possible anger of Americans and not really offended by the name itself.

After 911 i would be scared to be an Arab in America too

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

beezzer

If I get what you are saying, then you are implying that if a joint named "The Bomb" opened in Hiroshima, then it would be in poor taste, correct?

I don't see how that relates here....unless Detroit was bombed while I wasn't looking.

ETA: I like the name; it's catchy. However, if their food sucks, then I'd say the name is false advertising.

edit on 4-2-2014 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

"The Bomb" I like it, very catchy. Who cares if they're Syrian... except the easily offended PC people. Hope they do well in their endeavor and have a great time doing it.

Enough of the thin skinned baby whiners.
edit on 793pm4242pm122014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Indigent
i say, broken link

If it were a taco place, wouldn't be funny to call it the bomb?
edit on 4-2-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

Well there is a chain that has been under scrutiny I think the name was the pink taco then there is the burger joint called heart attack grill that has also been under fire for the name.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

LeatherNLace

ETA: I like the name; it's catchy. However, if their food sucks, then I'd say the name is false advertising.

edit on 4-2-2014 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

The name can go both ways in regards to the quality.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

beezzer

How is that comparable?

When did Syrians bomb America?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

LeatherNLace

beezzer

If I get what you are saying, then you are implying that if a joint named "The Bomb" opened in Hiroshima, then it would be in poor taste, correct?

I don't see how that relates here....unless Detroit was bombed while I wasn't looking.

So it's a locational thing then? Not being argumentative. Just trying to put things in a different light is all.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
well, most of Detroit looks like it was bombed...

Seriously though, people of Detroit should be happy that anyone is willing to invest in a business there. The fourth and second amendment are already getting beaten to death in America maybe we should step up and defend the first.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
There is a sandwich shop near me that has the word 'Dynamite' in their name. They haven't had any backlash.

I suppose if they were owned by Arabs.... it would be a problem then, I'm guessing. Indicating that the problem is not with a name.... but with ethnic bias against certain people.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
With all the scrutiny over just a name I guess I can't open up my dream establishment. It's a bar and gambling facility I wanted to name "Liquor in the front, Poker in the rear"
edit on 4-2-2014 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
If you're white does that mean you can't refer to your car as your "whip" like Will Smith does?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

sheepslayer247

A couple from Syria who opened up a Detroit eatery called The Bomb says they have no intentions of changing the restaurant’s name, even though some may find it’s in poor taste.

"I think it’s distasteful. I think it feeds into the certain stereotypes that are out there, that somehow, someway associate Arab Americans with bombs, destructive devices or some sort of violence. I would urge them really to reconsider a different name, [instead of] using a name that may be hurtful to a certain community," Nabih Ayad, of the Arab American Civil Rights League, told the station.

So, these people open a restaurant. No problem there.

They name the restaurant "the bomb" since the food is spicy (and also an attempt to have a catchy/hip name). No problem.

But they are Syrian/Middle Eastern. Thats a problem?

I think this shows that many people are to sensitive and really need to lighten up. Too many have a preconcieved notion that Middle East= terrorism....and that is sad.

What say you, ATS? Catchy name or offensive garbage?

Source

Why have they not been arrested under The Patriot Act?

Their name is obviously designed to encourage terrorist activity by reminding people like themselves of bombs and I also think they mocking 9/11 victims.

I think they should be interrogated and their customers investigated.

Disgraceful.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If it was called "Suicide Vest Falafel Hut" I could see how that might be a little on the edgy side.

If anything detroit looks post apocalyptic in many spots. Fitting name?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

I would go there just to buy a t-shirt.Why does your avatar look like Morgan Freeman and John Malkovich in clown makeup?

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Meanwhile every other eatery in the same neighborhood sells "Steak Bomb" sandwiches or some equivalent.

Selective outrage is a funny thing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join