It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian couple opens Detroit eatery called The Bomb

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

You're average teen isn't going to take offense to it...possibly someone in their twenties...as many know the when something is "the bomb" it's looked at as really good...

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

This is hilarious. Hell I applaud them for their sense of humor.

I have a friend whose father is Saudi. His father has two pictures of himself with a huge goofy smile in full Islamic dress with an AK next to him. The next photo is him with the same get up only he's frowning and glaring menacingly.

The guy is hilarious and certainly not a terrorist. He, like this Syrian couple, have a healthy sense of humor about the stereotypes the media has pushed on us for the last 13 years. It's their way of dealing with it and I think it is a good way to disarm the apprehension people have on these issues.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Wow they sound like they are fully Americanized already!

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Yes, I think we would all be better served if we pulled our sense of humor out of our backsides...right along with our heads.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
S&F OP!!!

What could be worse than Americans naming their BOMBing campaign "Operation MENU" and sequences of bombings as "BREAKFAST, LUNCH & DINNER"!?!?

Nothing.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But we haven't really had any bombs by terrorist (or syrian terrorists) in the U.S. let alone Detroit. I mean a few small events, but not mass casualty events like Hiroshima.

I read it and thought of the slang usage "tha bomb/ da bomb" etc.

Now if they opened it up on the 50th floor of a sky scraper and called it 747 cafe, i'd probably agree it was intentional. "Bomb" though? Nah.

Sadly detroit is starting to look like Hiroshima without the nuclear bomb.

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Well over the last several months I've been in Afghanistan I have met many Afghan patriots who have a sense of humor, who are just trying to serve their country and fellow man, and who truly want to live in a free and equal society. Middle Eastern culture while not homogenous, certainly has a common thread when it comes to Islamic terrorism. But it would be well advised to learn to accept the fact that much of what we know about the culture in the Middle East is propaganda sprinkled with horrid news of Islamic terrorism. Neither of those represent the vast majority of people here who just want to live a life free of the Taliban and eventually free of us. I have high hopes for Afghanistan and it's people. I have learned a great deal since coming here about both the Taliban and how truly different they are from the people.

The Syrian couple in this story are another example of that separation of realities between what is and what is shown to us. They are true Syrians just trying to make it in America. They have a good sense of humor and should be applauded for their efforts to start and maintain a business where they will hopefully grow, hire people, and continue to contribute to society.
edit on pThu, 06 Feb 2014 06:08:05 -060020146America/Chicago2014-02-06T06:08:05-06:0028vx2 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on pThu, 06 Feb 2014 06:09:19 -060020146America/Chicago2014-02-06T06:09:19-06:0028vx2 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I think its insensitive and since its nothing at all to do with the food at all, well i dont really care who they offend i just wouldnt go there.

So less on the PC stuff and more on the stupid backwards business model

edit on 6-2-2014 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I once knew this middle eastern guy who always got his 7s and 9s mixed up.
He wanted to open up a 7-11.
edit on 6-2-2014 by rupertg because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I for one wish them luck and can only hope they extend the name to the advertising.

'Come in for a taste explosion'.

'Food so good you'll be blown away'.

The possibilities are endless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join