It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism being accepted as “Today’s Religion” over all religions?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Jesuslives4u

AfterInfinity

Jesuslives4u

AfterInfinity
So...let me summarize here.

- You talked about what makes truth true.

- You did a brief overview of some atheist dude's life (and colored it with your own thoughts).

- You proselytized the Christian faith.

- You asked if atheism is a religion.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. I will say, however, that not smoking is not a habit.
edit on 3-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

If you are not sure of my point than keep walking.

Is that what Jesus would have said?

Yes he would have. But you don't know him, remember because you do not believe in him.

How narcisstic of you to think that you know what Jesus would of said.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

yes

it's common to use some allusion in rhetoric as well.
edit on 01/24/14 by Jarring because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Jarring

yes

it's common to use some allusion in rhetoric as well.

So your whole rhetorical logic is just the equivalent of snake oil salesmanship. If you can sell it, then it's rational. I don't buy that. You rely on peoples' lack of critical thinking to validate an argument you know to be fallacious.
edit on 7-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

not necessarily, you're putting more into it than it is.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Rhetoric is the art of discourse, an art that aims to improve the capability of writers or speakers that attempt to inform, persuade, or motivate particular audiences in specific situations.

This is the definition you agreed was accurate. Note that this definition says nothing of utilizing strictly facts or being honest. It speaks of persuasion and motivation. In other words, sleazy.

And if you are not convinced, let's look at the definition of allusion, which you mentioned just recently:

an expression designed to call something to mind without mentioning it explicitly; an indirect or passing reference.

So you're all about the art of persuasion and motivation using methods of calling something to mind without mentioning it explicitly. It sure sounds questionable. Ever heard of NLP? Neurolinguistic programming? Look it up.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

lol.. i don't get your ill association with it, but you use rhetoric too.. i mean, it's not like we can all necessarily avoid it.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

And if you are not convinced, let's look at the definition of allusion, which you mentioned just recently:

an expression designed to call something to mind without mentioning it explicitly; an indirect or passing reference.

So you're all about the art of persuasion and motivation using methods of calling something to mind without mentioning it explicitly. It sure sounds questionable. Ever heard of NLP? Neurolinguistic programming? Look it up.

i like to use allusion because it can be difficult to explain literally.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Jarring

i like to use allusion because it can be difficult to explain literally.

Then the term you are looking for is allegory. Or metaphor. Or simile.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

well those all definitely have their uses as well.. most of these things are found within each other, but they do describe something specific.

i usually just try to use the word that's most specific to get across what I'm trying to convey if it isn't otherwise. Usually mentioning the rhetorical value in something is enough.. like it's trying to get across a point that's not always completely visible literally.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
rhetoric applies to someone's personal moral values which are already there, which is why i see and use it so much.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Jarring
rhetoric applies to someone's personal moral values which are already there, which is why i see and use it so much.

Not according to the definition I posted, which you agreed with.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

it's in the definition, lol, put what i explained over the definition like a blanket.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

you get what i'm saying? i mean, idk why we are discussing this, but i would like for you to understand me. i do use simile and metaphors as well...however, i feel that "dead" is an allusion used in a rhetorical sense of the whole phrase pertaining to ancestry, and that deceased is used in the literal sense. If the word ancestry was used, it would seem like it would be referring to something else.
I'm just trying to make it easier for you to understand by telling you this, and I hope it hasn't been for nothing. I did add you to my friends, idk if you noticed that or not

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Dead is an allusion? Ancestry? I really am trying to understand you, but none of what you're saying is making any sense. And this word, rhetoric... I don't think it means what you think it means. And in case you haven't noticed, I've been nothin' but friendly outside this thread, and respectful always in both. I'm a critic, but I'm not out for blood lol.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

well, hmm.. allusion might not be the best word for it.. i suppose figurative could be the better word for how i see it, it would be more specific to the point. i know what rhetoric means
i might not always use the term in the best scenarios, but i use it because i see its relevance.

allusion is typically seen as a synonym to figurative though ~.~;

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

and nah, i don't feel like you're out for blood, lol, i know you mean well.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

You didn't explain that dead Ancestry thing.

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

oh, i explained that awhile back when we first started the discussion, sorry.

when diving into the deep abyss of the mind to reason with ideas such as pride it is possible to find a lot of war fought in the history of ancestors were driven by this one thing.

let's try not to go in circles from here

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
"Sit upon his mountain which underscores the importance"

you can see how that has to do with pride, correct?

posted on Feb, 7 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Jarring
"Sit upon his mountain which underscores the importance"

you can see how that has to do with pride, correct?

That one particular line, yes. But exactly how were you speaking rhetorically in reference to "dead"?

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join