It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americanization of the Sheep British.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Dear fellow Britains, How are you liking the rain these days?

The americanization of british culture is rapidly gaining speed. We thought you had stopped contributing when Star-bucks set up shop but no, its getting worse. Our shops are selling clothing with american overtones to them - The american Flag, names of cities, american slang terms such as "nerd" and "Jock"

We have pop up sweet shops selling american candy such as hersheys, reeses and pop tarts etc. Krispy Kreme doughnuts!

And now, of ALL things, American Football.

Channel 4 is making great efforts to introduce american football to the brits. Broadcasting the "Super Bowel" when its played at Wembley. From what ive seen, that game is a knock off of rugby and far.to.slow. Clothing shops have even started selling the jersey's that team's wear over their shoulder pads. The paper's even report what the hell is going on with that sport.

The question is WHY.

Is there really a market for the american brand in the backyard of britain? Or is this an attempt to merge our similar but different culture's against our will!? How would an american feel if they had shop's selling clothes with the british flag all over it?

Its crazy.

This thread has no intention to insult or slander any american. The purpose is to discuss an observation i have made.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

SearchLightsInc
How would an american feel if they had shop's selling clothes with the british flag all over it?

If people weren't buying, they wouldn't be selling?

So either it'll go away or it won't, they can't force you to consume.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

C4 have been showing American footy since the 80s.
nowt wrong with it. Though Saturday night in Paris will be more up my street.

They're just doing to us what we've done to them for years.
Watch pretty much anything to do with music and even the made up stuff inserts English accents.

Maybe a pop up shop selling Bournville and creme eggs would do well over there?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

I am 'American' and just the other day I was talking to Liz about the Hurley.
You know, Hurling?

It's easier for me I suppose because America has always been a melting pot.

Don't feel bad though, I'm American and I still wouldn't buy that crap.
I bet it wasn't made here either, but am willing to find out if I am wrong.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

eNumbra

SearchLightsInc
How would an american feel if they had shop's selling clothes with the british flag all over it?

If people weren't buying, they wouldn't be selling?

So either it'll go away or it won't, they can't force you to consume.

Good point, although they've stacked the # out of the shops - Doesn't look like much of it is shifting. Hopefully suppliers will get the message and pull it off the shelves. Its almost as if they're trying to glamorize america.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

muzzleflash

Hurling is a game i could get on board with!

I will defo check for you to see where many of the items were made, bet it wasnt in america!

link   
Actually as an American most of us think the British flag is awesome and like to wear things with it on.

However as also living in England I am a bit disappointed at all of the American stuff coming to these shores.

I know Asda is owned by walmart and I hate walmart and all it stands for.

I do like my pancakes and bacon though and I am thankful there are a few small shops around selling Aunt Jemima pancake mix

link   

I would suggest you ask the store owners and your local broadcast station. You will probably find out the store items make British store owners a lot of money and the football broadcast makes British broadcast stations an obscene amount of money.

I have a hard time with you blaming America for this when it is British entities that are making all the money.

I am glad to see this is all you have to worry about in GB..by the way, how is the Islamization of Britain coming along " you looking forward to Sharia Law anytime soon ?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

SprocketUK

Watch pretty much anything to do with music and even the made up stuff inserts English accents.

Good point.
I have listened to just about everything Pink Floyd or the Beatles made (among others).

All of my buddies like that genre.
It's probably one of the most popular sources of music in the last 60 years of American pop culture.

Here is the extensive British Rock wiki...
Funny how I recognize the vast majority of these acts.

Also since it's bizarre, I will say that UK musicians almost always sound "American Accented" when they sing, IMO.
edit on 31-1-2014 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

There's always been a certain amount of cultural exchange between the UK and US.

Sure aspects of it piss me off - particularly the 'gang' culture thing that seems to be quite prevalent at present.
But its gone on for years.

And like I said, it works both ways; look at the sixties and how The Beatles, The Rolling Stones et al and Carnaby Street style, Mary Quant etc influenced American society.

As the world gets smaller and globalisation continues this will be an ongoing process.

As for American Football - Channel 4 began broadcasting it back in 1982, nothing new about its coverage.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

SearchLightsInc

muzzleflash

Hurling is a game i could get on board with!

I will defo check for you to see where many of the items were made, bet it wasnt in america!

Cool, yeah I have this strange inclination that leads me to presume it was made somewhere not here.
This will be a cool experiment, let me know what you discover.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Battleline

I would suggest you ask the store owners and your local broadcast station. You will probably find out the store items make British store owners a lot of money and the football broadcast makes British broadcast stations an obscene amount of money.

I have a hard time with you blaming America for this when it is British entities that are making all the money.

I am glad to see this is all you have to worry about in GB..by the way, how is the Islamization of Britain coming along " you looking forward to Sharia Law anytime soon ?

Im not blaming america but AMERICAN BRANDS.

And the "Islamification" of the UK is coming along just fine and by that i mean not at all. Trust me, i live here. You've been reading to much Daily Mail.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Freeborn

Sure aspects of it piss me off - particularly the 'gang' culture thing that seems to be quite prevalent at present.
But its gone on for years.

Mohocks wiki

The Mohocks were allegedly a gang of violent, well-born criminals that terrorized London in the early 18th century, attacking men and women alike. Taking their name from the Mohawk Indians,[1] they were said to kill or disfigure their male victims and sexually assault their female victims. The matter came to a head in 1712 when a bounty of £100 was issued by the royal court for their capture.

Various other gangs of street bullies are alleged to have terrorized London at different periods, beginning in the 1590s with the Damned Crew and continuing after the Restoration with the Muns, the Tityré Tūs, the Hectors, the Scourers, the Nickers, and the Hawkubites.

I am thinking the "gang problem" has always existed.
The 'trends' within the 'gang' culture change all the time, but one thing remains the same...
edit on 31-1-2014 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Freeborn

As for American Football - Channel 4 began broadcasting it back in 1982, nothing new about its coverage.

Was it still just as boring as it was in 1982? I wouldnt know, i was only born in '89 lol

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

I was in complete agreement with you....until this line.

Highly inaccurate and deliberately intended to provoke.

Got to wonder why some Americans feel the need to answer any sort of criticism and / or observation of the USA with childish retorts like this?

edit on 31/1/14 by Freeborn because: spelling

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Of course gangs have existed in the UK for literally donkey's years.
Gangs of numerous types have had a massive influence on UK society as a whole.

I meant the influence and impact of the US inspired Gangster rap, Bloods - Crips style gang culture on UK youth today.
This seems to be particularly prevalent in urban inner city areas.

Youth's have always adopted styles and attitudes - this one seems to be having a particularly negative impact on our society.
That isn't 'America's' fault and it may simply be the perspective of many of us who are just getting old and out of touch with the current crop of youth, (I'd like to think that's not the case with me, but it could easily be so).

edit on 31/1/14 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Yep we have long been the 51st state , we now have stores instead of shops , shopping malls instead of centres and our pavement is turning into a sidewalk , we have a Supreme court and our own version of the FBI but all this is nout when compared to the puppyfacation of our government in pandering to America's every whim , from illegal wars , rendition and spying on every Tom , Dick and Harry just in case they're a tourist ... Errr terrorist .

I want my country back

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Freeborn

Youth's have always adopted styles and attitudes - this one seems to be having a particularly negative impact on our society.

Aha, but isn't this like blaming video games for a killing?

I would respond the same way to anyone here in the USA also...

Perhaps the problem is a lack or low quality of "Parenting" and "Education" for the specific individuals that feel the need to immerse themselves into the seedy criminal underworld.

Obviously most people seem to have a decent upbringing (give or take), but sometimes you really wonder about a few folks.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Was it still just as boring as it was in 1982? I wouldnt know,

I don't mind watching American Football, same as I don't mind Baseball.
They're not a patch on Football, Cricket or Rugby though.

..... i was only born in '89 lol

That makes me feel old!
Back in '89 I was just getting into The Hacienda / Stone Roses / Dance scene.
Literally in 12 months we went from kicking lumps out of each other to being all loved up with each other. Good days....as far as I can remember.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

gortex

I want my country back

I never had a country, sadly.

I would like to own one though, I'd be a nice tyrant.
But hey if someone took a nation from me I'd be ticked off too.

It was a pleasure to meet you Mrs Elizabeth II.
That is you right?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join