It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americanization of the Sheep British.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Ya your right it may have been a little thought provoking on my part, so I read the OP again and the OP was calling the British people sheep...you make sense of it now.

Sorry if I offended it was just an observation.
edit on 31-1-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to postISprocketUK

I have noticed that a awful lot of commercials feature actors with British accents. I love the accent myself. I have also noticed this- on grooming products they have description of product and instructions for use in English and in French but in signage in public places it's English and Spanish.

I understand the signage in two languages as Spanish is the second most used language here in America
The French on beauty and grooming products is strictly sales manipulation. Americans associate France with fashion beauty products perfume and sex.
It's funny how these stereotypes help sales. Want to make your product look cutting edge insert an Asian influence into the advertising. Want women to use your makeup create an association with France. Lancome Paris is a prime example. They are a NY based corporation but all advertising and company literature creates the belief that it is a French company because American women love French beauty products.
Financial companies benefit from an image with men even though women invest as much in the market as men do. Geico insurance uses a gecko with an Australian accent. Don't get that but it sells insurance. In the sixties it was reversed and if you wanted to sell clothing you got better results if you created a British influence into the ads. The word Mod which describes clothing and home fashions in the sixties came out of London with the youth groups of the mods and the rockers. Does anyone remember in the Beatles movie Yesterday when a boy asks George if he is a mod or a rocker? I loved his reply. He said I'm a mocker.
Everyone knows the best technology comes out of Japan but we create as much cutting edge technology here in the US BUT no one wants American electronics they want Japanese electronic products and even Japanese cars over American cars. It's all stereotyping and manipulation for the bottom line.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
My Step Dad is a big fan, no the night his best mate comes over from Germany and they have a riht old doo

Me? can't stand the game I only watch it when the Cheerleaders are on

I get mad at certain foods what are known by a name over here but they try and call it something American...like a cupcake..it's a ruddy bun!!!.
edit on 31-1-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

You obviously have never been to America. There are UK flags EVERYWHERE. Are you freaking kidding me?! They're on everyone's freaking clothes. Guys and girls alike. The UK Flag is an extremely popular and fashionable symbol in America, as it implies some sort of exotic, worldly travel knowledge. As if you've actually been to Europe, but most Americans haven't and just think it looks cool, and for most music fans in America, to them the flag represents the British wave of good music. I say good, because it's not great, and I don't understand why everyone is sucking britain's d*** over their mostly cheesy ass music, minus Pink Floyd. Led Zeppelin was good, but they were the death of what American rock and roll was trying to do at the time. British wave stunted the american rock music movement, and replaced it with what they were trying to do at the time. Had Zeppelin and the Beatles never existed, American music might have actually had a chance to become something great on its own at the time, but they were so heavily influenced by the fame of the beatles and such, that it kind of ruined everything. But no one sees it that way, because they're blinded by the bubblegum pop BS that exists in British music. Led Zeppelin just took 1930's american blues and added distortion to it. They weren't real rock and roll, they were a plastic super group. Even though Jimmy Page is one of my favorite guitarists of all time, he still didn't fully get the psychedelic picture. And what has Jimmy EVER done besides Zeppelin that mattered or was good? Nothing.

Anyway, yeah the UK Flag is everywhere in the states. How do I feel about it? I don't give a #, because I don't care about British culture anymore than I care about American culture. I hate America. I hate alot of British things too, mostly their funny slang words and any attempt at comedy. British comedy is the absolute worst, ever. It's not funny in the least, and is extremely annoying and shallow. I hated Monty Python, I don't think Eddie Izzard is funny in the least. Russell Brand is funny, but only when I'm watching him do shows in America. I watched his earlier shows in Britain and he was so british that I literally didn't understand what he was saying, or if I did, I didn't understand what he was talking about. And his british side seemed to be waaaaaaayyyyyy more animated and physical, way more slapstick and loud and annoying. I guess that's what british people think is funny.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I remember the British rock invasion and mods. Instead of stores, small boutiques started popping up complete with British flags, music etc. British goods were all the rage and made tons of money.

I wanted to be a mod so bad. I had mini skirts, go go boots, lots of paisley, lime green and hot pink. I had a pair of purple striped hip-hugger pants w/matching purple patent leather belt and of course lots of mesh peek-a-boo accents. I looked like a female Austin Powers. Don't know if it was true mod style but it was marketed as such. My teen mags were full of Eric Burdon and my all time favorite the Stones. I really envied British girls.

My parents didn't blame the Brits for my brother's long hair since all his friends let theirs grow. I remember the Beatles "I wanna hold your hand" coming over the car radio. My un-seat belted brother and I leaned forward to listen and dared our dad to change it. As torturous as it was for him all he said was "I wish someone would hold his hand!"

If kids weren't interested in buying the stuff it would fade out fast. You all are just getting the marketing dose we've been bombarded with for decades. As kids we played with British accents, not to be disrespectful but to emulate. We loved the Brits and most of us still do.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

You gotta put pics up after that description

Oh and thanks for the kind words towards the British nation....we will give you one chance to kneel before Zod..erm the Queen and we will give you a British passport
one chance only mind!!...and it has a time limit.
(I love afternoon drinking
)
edit on 31-1-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Channel 4 is making great efforts to introduce american football to the brits. Broadcasting the "Super Bowel" when its played at Wembley.

As an American who doesn't like American Football (nearly making me a traitor to my country lol), I chuckled at your spelling of "Super Bowel" (sic) intentional or not.

Though from what I've read, some of the exhibition games of American Football in the UK have been because one of the team owners also owns a Football (soccer) team in Uk and wants to expand his wealth by making Brits more interested in Am. Football enough to start a league there.

How would an american feel if they had shop's selling clothes with the british flag all over it?

That's been going on for decades.
edit on 1/31/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

No way LOL. I still remember standing in Sears arguing with my mom over a lime green polka dotted mini dress with mesh at the midriff. She finally gave up, put back the plaid jumper she selected. I couldn't wear it to school though.

Heard "paint it black" for the first time at the beach while collecting empty coke cans to read the jokes on the inside bottom, anyone remember that one. Those were the days!

edit on 1-31-2014 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

I guess us British still do have a big influence still in the world, culturally, scientifically, socially and all the other ally's

So lets embrace us the British!!! Huzzah!!
(plus we make great beer)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Chamberf=6

Though from what I've read, some of the exhibition games of American Football in the UK have been because one of the team owners also owns a Football (soccer) team in Uk and wants to expand his wealth by making Brits more interested in Am. Football enough to start a league there.

Now that makes sense, hopefully no one will take a true liking to it!

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Thanks so much for that! Even though my bandwidth cap doesn't allow many vids, I said eff it, had to dance.

That song was a real turning point for me, more so than the Beatles. I was enthralled, I dropped that coke can and headed over to the open air dance floor. I saw girls shaking things I didn't have yet but I practiced on the sidelines anyway.

Would enjoy nothing more than laughing over a pint with you Brits. Love your comedy too especially Fawlty. Don't have a problem with your Queen, find it all fascinating actually. I would, as always, show proper respect.

eta: Love your silly avatar btw, always makes me smile.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

SearchLightsInc

We have pop up sweet shops selling american candy such as hersheys,

Not hersheys pleae not hersheys! Really Im not jokeing! When I was in the states I couldnt eat the crap they callled chocolate! Tastes like sour milk with artificial flavoruings!

edit on 31-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Battleline

Thanks for the reply.

No offence taken.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

www.forever21.com...:trackingCode=AE812AF3-DE4B-E311-944B-001B21BCC0 BC&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=35054630358&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=21671213542%26utm_medium=cpc%26utm_term=%26utm_campaig n=Product_Listing_Ads%26utm_content=pla_productid&gclid=CJDrt5yBqbwCFa4-Mgod3AYA0Q

Ethnocentrism is fun.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
As an American, I loved visiting the UK, especially distant relatives in Scotland. Of course that was in the eighties and nineties when I was stationed in Germany. I always had a great time. I am a fan of both Rugby and American football, but the OP is right. American football is moving a lot slower than it used to. I'd actually like to see them go back to the old leather helmets and smaller pads.

But soccer (or Futball) is another story. I would rather watch paint dry or grass grow. It's as boring as basketball or bowling. Playing those games is one thing. That's fun, but I can't bring myself to watch them.

As for the member who doesn't like Monty Python...WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Lysergic

www.forever21.com...:trackingCode=AE812AF3-DE4B-E311-944B-001B21BCC0 BC&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=35054630358&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=21671213542%26utm_medium=cpc%26utm_term=%26utm_campaig n=Product_Listing_Ads%26utm_content=pla_productid&gclid=CJDrt5yBqbwCFa4-Mgod3AYA0Q

Ethnocentrism is fun.

Point taken but WHY is this happening? Maybe its just me, i have very little desire to glorify america and its culture... Im sure you may feel the same way about Britain.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

For the longest time your culture was imported to us. Obviously for many years your youth enjoyed their own hometown flavor right along with us. Don't forget many British rockers were influenced by black american blues artists. We borrow from each other all the time.

Kids often use trends to set themselves apart. I imagine the British youth culture, we embraced, has finally run its course. If British kids want to annoy their parents, all things american must work for them.

After what my parents had to put up with, I imagine they feel you're getting your just desserts.

i have very little desire to glorify america and its culture... Im sure you may feel the same way about Britain.

I don't feel the same way about Britain at all. In fact after watching the BBC for so long we've picked up some British slang, use it all the time and it's always tea time at my house.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

How would an american feel if they had shop's selling clothes with the british flag all over it?

Wouldn't bother us, probably, unless that was the ONLY flag we could buy. We can get clothing with all sorts of "flags" all over them. There are specialty shops that sell British stuff for high prices - oh how I'd LOVE to get my hands on some real Cumberland Sausage!!

As for football (SuperBowl style) - I hate it.

Are the candy and goodies sold at "imported from USA" prices? It costs way more to go to those specialty shops to get bangers or teas.

I dunno. Strange, though. Are there more Americans living in Britain now?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

LOL!! Funny. In the mid-90s I made a trip to Norway to visit/meet some people I'd made friends with over the internet. I asked them if there was anything they'd like me to bring them from here.

One asked for one of those "Multi-Tools", and one asked for Real Hersheys (to make s'mores).

I'm browsing from the bottom up....
wth??? WHO DOESN'T LIKE MONTY PYTHON!???? gHAAAAaAAA!

We just bought tickets to go see Eddie Izzard, who's coming back to the US; can't wait!! (He was hugely influenced by Monty Python, and is one of the funniest people alive.)

I also just upgraded my cable so we could get BBC - it costs more.

I adored England when I went there (never went to London - flew in to Manchester, and then went north by train, stayed a night in Penrith, then on Scotland: to Fort William, Glenfinnan, Mallaig, and back down through Doune (where the Monty Python castle of the French taunting and cow-catapulting was filmed.

I love British stuff!!

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Was it still just as boring as it was in 1982? I wouldnt know, i was only born in '89 lol

"Professional" American football has ALWAYS been boring (to me)...forever. Even worse now that they replay every damn down five times over, from every angle, in slow-motion, in regular motion, etc.) I can't stand it. Don't even talk to me about the exorbitant, obscene money it pays players (and the NFL is "non-profit"!??? LOL
) to bash each other, the head injuries, etc. It's barbaric, and sickening that so many people spend so much money on their 'goods' and 'tickets', so much time watching the tele during the middle of the damn day....

College and high school football aren't so bad, they don't take a break every 30 seconds for a bunch of adverts (lol! See, I like to use 'British' words, and I'm born and raised American by an Anglophile mother...) selling crap (although the Adverts HAVE gotten better - absolutely, over the last 5 years or so. Some people watch the SuperBowl JUST FOR THE ADS! - and they're pretty hilarious in general. For some reason the SuperBowl is "new advert showcase day").

Now having said that, Arena Football was a blast!!!

No time-outs, no out-of-bounds, fast-moving, fireworks, great music, LOTS of fun!!!
Then the Arena Football League failed for some reason.

edit on 2/1/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join