It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA spying through Angry Birds, Google Maps, leaked documents reportedly reveal

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

The thing everyone has to remember is that its come out that the NSA controls the routers on the net. They can (according to leaks) redirect any any traffic that fits a profile, like GPS info from your phone's IP to find you. Any traffic that goes over the net. Once they have that, any data that's collected by any app is theirs for the taking. It isn't necessarily a matter of the companies explicitly handing over the data for them to take, its just a matter of them taking everything that's out there on the network. So whatever permissions you grant to app, you grant to the NSA.

The alarming thing I see in this is the synergistic relationship between the NSA, and nosy private parties, flat out criminal or otherwise, trying to collect data for nefarious means. Their every innovation on spying benefits the NSA, which creates a situation I don't like, where the NSA could see them as a benefit, when in fact they are in it for all the wrong reasons.
edit on 28-1-2014 by tridentblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

I feel that I should inform everyone that it is possible to disable any phone or computer apps ability to send data to these 'constituents'. If you're truly concerned ( You should be ) and can't figure it out; PM me or something. If I get enough requests I'll open a thread.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Have angry birds on my droid which collected no data about me. It came with it. Its not a telephone. I turn it on when waiting for appointments only. No idea how they are gonna get anything from me. Others who have this on their phone I could see a problem. I am sure they have something else by now that's usually how this works. You see what they USED to use to get your info.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tridentblue

@TridentBlue - while you are likely accurate in your assessment of the agencies ability to supervise all traffic across the internet- there are still means to send and receive data across these channels regardless of their integration into the infrastructure.

In many ways you are very limited in what you can and cannot do 'quietly' - but let me assure you that if one were so inclined; they could find their way into the Chinese internet, or quite similarly communicate over agency-owned networks without their noticing.

------
If anyone on ATS is in the upper 3% of financial wealth - you could, and it is nearly your responsibility rebuild the internet without this agencies involvement - you could free us from their clutches. If I had the money, I would do it myself. A project like this would be massive - and would probably start in the least densely populated regions of the country and take a decade to complete - but when one can change history it's their responsibility.

Privately owned and operated top-level servers on a continuously growing, again privately owned and operated closed-circuit network; where the private party is one of morality and integrity, is the only solution that can truly take them out of the picture -- but don't let me deter anyone from believing that you can still surf the internet 'privately'. It just takes the know-how.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The NSA must be doing something far more than just spying on us. Just as the CIA conspiracy theories with hallucinogenic drugs and remote viewing, I cannot remember the exact name but maybe someone knows what I'm talking about.

There should be a serious concern with the millions of people using smart phones and how society and culture will evolve.

The NSA is up to something dark and covert imo...

As most people say, what can they get from my Angry Birds data? You would have to be a psychology major and analyze the gameplay.

We barely understand our brain. A black government may know things we don't know about our brain and I think there should be more discussion about what unknowns we have in science and where we are heading with science and technology in a corrupt corporate controlled world with global warming deniers, pro voilence advocates, anti-education supporters, and and extreme crisis of obesity and unhealthy lifestyle. Not to mention the loss of history....

Edit: S&F
edit on 28-1-2014 by game over man because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-1-2014 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Their privacy policy is very interesting.

www.rovio.com...

I don't play those games anyway so I really don't care.

Now the problem isn't entirely the NSA the problem is the fact that anyone can get this data, how?

Create an app.

Tell that app in order to work properly you need GPS location, name, age and so forth.

You now have a data mining app that can be used for profit via advertising or for whatever purpose you need that info for.

You'd be surprised how easy it can be to gather data from someone, especially on facebook. I had a couple apps running on facebook and with a couple clicks of the mouse I had their name, birthdate, location and all of their favorite interests. This info was used all for the purpose of advertising. Now what the NSA can do with this info I don't know and don't care. I would love for them to show up or snag me for some stupid reason so I can actually be proven they do what people are saying they do.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jidnum

10. Safeguards
Rovio follows generally accepted industry standards and maintains reasonable safeguards to attempt to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of the information in Rovio’s possession.

Mission accomplished

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Crazy stuff, I wonder what facebook is doing. lol
edit on 28-1-2014 by AmenStop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Not surprised one bit! Yesterday while helping a young one with diagnostic testing it was revealed to us that the little camera pointing at you on your smart phone and computers are actually a live feed.
So, you are always being monitored and if you look deeper, listen to as well

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Dammit!

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Ew. Creeps.

Hate the world.

deuces.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
On your android look for "App Permissions" to get a feel for what "they" gather. the NSA does not have to get into each device. your device reports back to each app makers database when used. Those big databases are what "they" go for.

Why?

To know more. Catch you in the act for some future crime. Blackmaile you. Best of yet, model the future. The more data points the better the simulation.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Every direction we turn, traitors and betrayal.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

sunnynights
Not surprised one bit! Yesterday while helping a young one with diagnostic testing it was revealed to us that the little camera pointing at you on your smart phone and computers are actually a live feed.
So, you are always being monitored and if you look deeper, listen to as well

I have little black stickers covering all my lenses.

posted on Jan, 29 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The official Angry Birds website was briefly defaced on Tuesday by people protesting reports government spy agencies abuse it and other "leaky" mobile apps to mine the personal details of smartphone users.

For a brief span of time on Tuesday some visitors saw an image of the iconic bird and pig, but with some notable modifications. The image carried the caption "Spying Birds," and the bird had an NSA logo emblazoned on its forehead. The image was captured here on the Zone-H website.

Angry Birds developer Rovio has confirmed its website was briefly hijacked, most likely by hackers who managed to tamper with domain name system settings that ultimately control what server receives requests for a particular domain name. Differences in which servers cached the malicious domain name entries and the amount of time those malicious entries were allowed to persist mean that the spoofed page was visible to only some of the people who were trying to visit the site on Tuesday. The site was not available at the time this post was being prepared for publication

Link

top topics

<< 1   >>

join