It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA spying through Angry Birds, Google Maps, leaked documents reportedly reveal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

The NSA and its British counterpart are tapping popular smartphone apps such as Angry Birds to peek into the tremendous amounts of very personal data those bits of software collect -- including age, location sex and even sexual preferences, according to new reports from the New York Times and The Guardian.

NSA spying through Angry Birds, Google Maps, leaked documents reportedly reveal

Oh really? first they waste time playing WoW and now angry birds on tax payers money? shame on you NSA

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

You have to be kidding, I have Angry birds installed in my computer I love the game, this most be a joke right?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

No joke. More of a success rate when you target insanely popular items. That's why WoW was targeted as it's the most popualr MMO so there's no surprise that they would target angry birds since it has over a billion downloads and gets about 250 million users a month.. yes a month

Edit: Typical modus operandi of any hack really...You don't expect to catch many fish in a barrel but with a net in the sea Your bound to get Your fill
edit on 27-1-2014 by SynchronousSnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts

Honestly, what do people expect when they download these "free" apps. I don't condone this behavior, but honestly, nothing in life is free, there's always a catch.

I'm sure people have somewhat an idea what's being gathered with these free apps, they just don't want to think to much about it.

I hate that my privacy is being torn apart by but this stuff is just well obvious. Why does angry birds want your GPS location... Duh,

Oh well, not the least bit surprised really.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SynchronousSnake

Well I guess I will only play on my computer off line, and will checking for services working in the background when I am not playing the game.

Now does the spying include the pay version? I do own my angry birds version.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

marg6043

Well I guess I will only play on my computer off line, and will checking for services working in the background when I am not playing the game.

Now does the spying include the pay version? I do own my angry birds version.

Oh yes it includes all versions... I'm not fear mongering.

Sadly they have ways around You being offline as well if they want to spy on you bad enough through RF means

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You have to be kidding, I have Angry birds installed in my computer I love the game, this most be a joke right?

If you read the source article, it seems to me like what's going on is that the company that makes Angry Birds is collecting "personal information" about you (which might be nothing more than your email address or Facebook name for tracking high scores) and the NSA supposedly has figured out how to get at that information.

As anyone who listens to Reality Remix knows, I am a firm proponent of personal privacy and I think that the NSA is way over the line, but stories like this are becoming utterly ridiculous. I anticipate that, before too long, the NSA will be declared omniscient, with the powers of God over the world.

They know my email address from Angry Birds or what gear my WoW paladin is wearing? Even if that was true, who cares?

All of this fear-mongering is in favour of something, though I don't know what -- maybe even in favour of the NSA -- but it is getting out of hand.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Pretty Much... I view these kinds of articles and "leaks"as the NSA posting their high scores in the hacking game. Basically saying "hey look at how many of You we got under our eye and there's not a damn thing anyone can do to stop us."

If You've got nothing to hide really theres no worry but it still doesn't condone what they are doing and pretty much laughing at us
edit on 27-1-2014 by SynchronousSnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

If You've got nothing to hide really theres no worry but it still doesn't condone what they are doing and pretty much laughing at us

It isn't even so much of "You've got nothing to hide" as it is "they know I play Angry Birds and they have my email address" -- again, who cares? That information is of absolutely no consequence, and yet it's being trotted out as yet another outrage.

Yes, it could very well be that the NSA is pushing these stories out so that they build up that sense of omniscience, or maybe they learned that high ranking members of terrorist organizations relax by playing Angry Birds and want to drive them out of the game, but I'd rather see journalistic efforts and column inches dedicated to the real outrageous invasions of privacy of our government, like monitoring all US domestic phone traffic, than silliness like this.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
does that make angy birds some kind of psychological test ?

computer games and there perils, reminds me of this

whyBox

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   
i will say it, if a company soared in no time, it was the NSA behind it

there i say it, dont hurt me NSA please?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
All I can say is this is just the crap we've caught wind of.
Just like an iceberg there's another 7/8th's you still haven't seen yet under the surface.
No matter how bad you think things are they will never be as good as they are at this exact moment ever again.
The police state is here.
The only question now is when it comes for you, will you be on your feet or on your knees?

-Peace-

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
If you think this is bad wait til you find out about webcams / built in cameras / and all those nice applications

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This has got to be in the next updated dictionary next to the word stupid. My kid plays this game. Angry birds was a big seller this year in toy sections. How the h*ll would angry birds be linked with terrorism? Now they are just screwing around to secure their jobs and look busy. This is the most disgraceful waste of money - all for the sake of justifying this program. Enough already.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Huxley

“There will be, in the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making people love their servitude, and producing dictatorship without tears..."

consider brain chemistry here
(in regards to these video games and other forms of entertainment)

find out what a 'skinner box' is..
and remember, we are what we eat

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I still can't wrap my head around this. The NSA is so powerful as to be Godlike? I mean they can spy on you through angry birds. They can spy on the head of every government in the world. They have every phone call we've ever made and to who. They know every website we've ever been to, how long and what we did there. They know all our online aliases, They can hack Mercedes and kill the drivers if they so choose. They know everything and they can do everything.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
spare a thought for those of us who constantly maintain "this is the devils world"
and the book we draw inspiration from..

They know everything and they can do everything.

"I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High." (Isaiah 14:14)

..i've never been one for "coincidence"

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

go ahead! i also allow them to spy on my bird if they can!

peace.

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
HA HA.. hmmmo.. ok ..

as
if
my profile pic
is a
total
Surprise~!!!!
edit on 28-1-2014 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Once they know your email address , they can connect that to whatever else you use it for. Information gathering no less, until there's a bigger picture, provided by all snippets you might think aren't so important

edit on 28-1-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join