It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monstrous Earthquake to Hit Mansfield, OH?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

This happens when there is tension in the fault line, it could slip suddenly, which is called an earthquake, or it could just dissipate, but the light happen due to the tension, therefore it can happen either with or without an earthquake.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

earthquakes felt in wisconsin

I am in southeast Wisconsin and remember the tremor from 2004 but not the one from 2008. It was enough to rattle glassware in a display cabinet, but I've heard that a major New Madrid quake would definitely be felt in my area, not sure about up North.

The pics are cool!

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm gonna go with the ice crystal theory on this one. Either way, it is a beautiful and scary effect. I live right on top of the New Madrid Fault in Western Kentucky. So, I try to stay abreast on what the science guys are thinking about this area. Here is any interesting article about how some scientists think the fault is dying and some think it may be "locking and loading". And, yep, I live in the area in the red zone! Me, nervous? Yeah...

www.weather.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Thanks to everyone who replied while I was getting my beauty sleep.
Great pics being shared too.

I feel relieved that these lights are coming from the street lights, and caused from ice crystals. You couldn't see in the picture from the source site if they originated from the ground. If so, that would have caused me more of a concern.

I called my family up there before I went to bed to warn them. Now I can call them and tell them they can be at ease... I think.

Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I live near Mansfield and I hate to disappoint but this is not all over the news here. A small snippet appears on a Cleveland Tv station explaining they are ice pillars or light pillars as some on this thread have already pointed out. It's pretty and unusual but people aren't running amok waiting for the ground to break open. This Turner Radio network sounds like Before It's News in different clothing.

link: www.newsnet5.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
See this exact same thing 15 years ago, about an hour east of Mansfield. It was so bizarre to see cars coming down the road, you could see the beams shooting straight up, without a view of the car. We took a flash light out into the woods and could see the light shooting above the trees. No matter the light source, it would shoot straight up brightest, even with the light shooting down. Though it was so long ago, this is the first time I have heard anything informative on the subject.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

megabogie
This Turner Radio network sounds like Before It's News in different clothing.

I'm starting to see that also. Just browsing through some of their pages of stories, many of them come from or are shared on BIN as well.

People still visit those sites, though. Must be like the tabloid papers: entertainment value.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The problem here is that I feel most people don't understand the point to Disaster Preparation.

If you live in an area where Earthquakes can occur, than prepare for it.
It may never happen in our lifetime, or a big one could happen as a surprise one day.

Human science has not successfully discovered an accurate method for predicting quakes.

Rather than fearing the quake, just be ready in case one does happen. Prepare.
But try to avoid hysteria about "an impending one", because the track record for that behavior historically is dismal.
We all worry about things like this from time to time, just gotta apply some reason to temper it.

Just a few rules of thumb so to speak.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

_BoneZ_

megabogie
This Turner Radio network sounds like Before It's News in different clothing.

I'm starting to see that also. Just browsing through some of their pages of stories, many of them come from or are shared on BIN as well.

People still visit those sites, though. Must be like the tabloid papers: entertainment value.

I only know of this one article from them, but yeah, not looking so hot.
I'll not bother reloading the link and checking the 'other articles'.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I think you're right about the tabloid attraction to those sites...sorta like reading the headlines on the National Enquirer while you wait in line at the supermarket.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I haven't heard of these types of lights.
Had the usual earthquake lights here last year I think, nothing happened

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Here we again with the end of the world stuff.

The lights are from the light sources, lamps.

The only reason to leave Ohio, too cold!

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   

ArMaP

darkbake
So there you guys go - an actual Wikipedia entry on this, and a random YouTube video from a user.

The Wikipedia entry says that it happens during the earthquake, not before.

not to mention the "random video" was a video of a picture. I would tend to think in this case the lights are from the ice crystals seeing how they correspond to the color of the light source. notice how the blueish light coming from the house is cast as blue up into the sky. not saying the lights from tectonic stresses don't happen although from all the seismic activity in specific locations why don't we see the lights more consistently. Maybe, in some cases, the lights are actually causing the earthquakes?
edit on 26-1-2014 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bottleslingguy

Maybe, in some cases, the lights are actually causing the earthquakes?

*Blink*

Oh! Hahah! I get it! That was funny!

Gosh, my sense of humor must be slipping lately!

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

"The Hoaxer Radio Network?" "Several hoaxes on the news site alone?" Care to be more specific? Perhaps you didn't notice, but:

1) The title of the article ends with a question mark. That means it is a question, not a statement of fact.

2) The second paragraph specifically states "While the local TV Weatherman claims all is well - saying it's only ice crystals in the air - this phenomenon has been seen before in many places just days or hours before a massive earthquake."

In case you don't understand, that paragraph talks directly to your point that it could simply be harmless light pillars and offers it to the public as a possibility for the sake of truthfulness.

3) The third paragraph makes clear "(This story is NOT intended to frighten or panic anyone, but it can't hurt to make some emergency preparations with food, water, medications, flashlights, batteries, radios, blankets and such just in case.)"

What if the TRN story is correct and your interpretation is wrong? Should people in Ohio be left uninformed and not encouraged to make some simple preparations that could save their lives? and finally,

4) The article about earthquake lights was written by NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC and the link to the original article is: news.nationalgeographic.com...
Care to describe them as a "hoaxer network" too?

In the future, Snip maybe YOU should get YOUR facts straight; snip

edit on 27/1/2014 by Sauron because: quote removed add Mod Link: ATS General Discussion Etiquette

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Your kidding, right?

It is a fear induced story. I have see lights like that every flipping winter, more often then not in Anchorage. The lights will not appear where there isn't any light or illuminations.

So you don't have to worry about an earthquake. What a joke.

Did you also hear that when a moose licks a car for salt is deems a tsunami is near-by and it will be "monsterous.". LOL

Thanks for the good laugh

edit on 26-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

yes that was referring to HAARP technology. the lights could be plasma resulting from concentrated energy as it is focused to a particular spot. I'm not saying I know that for a fact just posing a new idea sorry for that I guess I'll just look at the ground and shuffle my feet.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

_BoneZ_
reply to post by sled735

First and foremost, "Turner Radio Network" is becoming the "Hoaxer Radio Network" with several hoaxes posted on their news page alone. Don't believe anything they say.

I have noticed a tendency lately for certain websites to actively promote hoaxes.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestedReader

Do you work for Turner Radio Network? You sure are defending them.

I see your point. And, yes, the NatGeo is a great site, IMO. Just wondering why you seem to be taking that member's post personally?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

I'm so soprry, but no.

Those light are artificial lights. The ice crystals in air are reflecting the lights from ground.

That simple.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join