It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monstrous Earthquake to Hit Mansfield, OH?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

A historic earthquake with monstrous destruction may be in the works near Mansfield, Ohio as residents and local TV report strange lights emanating from the ground.

While the local TV Weatherman claims all is well - saying it's only ice crystals in the air - this phenomenon has been seen before in many places just days or hours before a massive earthquake.

(This story is NOT intended to frighten or panic anyone, but it can't hurt to make some emergency preparations with food, water, medications, flashlights, batteries, radios, blankets and such just in case.)

These lights, called earthquake lightening, can take "many different shapes, forms, and colors," according to Friedemann Freund, a professor of physics at San Jose State University and a senior researcher at NASA's Ames Research Center.

Freund says the lights can appear as bluish flames that come out of the ground ; ball lightning that float in the air; or quick flashes of bright light that resemble regular lightning strikes coming out of the ground instead of the sky.

I certainly hope this is not a forewarning of an earthquake because I have family in that area!

If you know someone who lives there, you may want to point them to this article.
Complete details below. . .

www.turnerradionetwork.com...

edit on 1/26/2014 by sled735 because: Fix title

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
S&F for the picture alone. Best I have ever seen of earthquake lights.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Very cool, because it is testable. I remember some kind of phenomenon similar to this happening prior to the Haiti earthquake.

And check this out - Wikipedia even has an entry, Earthquake Light

During the 2007 Peru earthquake lights were seen in the skies above the sea and filmed by many people. The phenomenon was also observed and caught on film during the 2009 L'Aquila[4][5] and the 2010 Chile earthquakes.[6]

There are even theories about what produces earthquake lights on that page. One theory is that rocks under stress ionize oxygen, which then escapes into the air, creating packets of plasma.

So there you guys go - an actual Wikipedia entry on this, and a random YouTube video from a user.

edit on 26amSun, 26 Jan 2014 07:15:34 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

link   
China saw something similar to those but in the clouds when their big quake hit
a few years ago,, hmm time will tell..
start boxin up the breakables maybe?
news.nationalgeographic.com...

edit on 26-1-2014 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by sled735

WOW if this is a real picture of lights that are not artificial nor photoshoped I`d be very scared if I lived there

SnF

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The lights in the sky don't mean nothing, it happens here all the time in Northern Wisconsin, when the air is clear and cold you can see all the street lights and signs shooting a beam of light up like in your picture. Have not felt or heard of one earthquake here.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I would have had to walk (or drive) around until I found the source of those lights. Are they shooting out of the ground? Is the beginning of the light at a porch light on a house? Do they come from the sky and not touch the ground? I would have to know! I don't know what to think about this photo.

And by the way, does anyone else see the creepy little black face in the bottom left hand corner?

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

I hope you're right! That eases my mind a little. Thank you.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

19KTankCommander
The lights in the sky don't mean nothing, it happens here all the time in Northern Wisconsin, when the air is clear and cold you can see all the street lights and signs shooting a beam of light up like in your picture. Have not felt or heard of one earthquake here.

look up the history of this phenomenon before you claim its nothing.. it has merit and has happened before

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Doodle19815
I would have had to walk (or drive) around until I found the source of those lights. Are they shooting out of the ground? Is the beginning of the light at a porch light on a house? Do they come from the sky and not touch the ground? I would have to know! I don't know what to think about this photo.

And by the way, does anyone else see the creepy little black face in the bottom left hand corner?

It's a bush. But if you take it as an oracle, you can see a creepy face.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Amazing.I've heard of earthquake lighting it but have never seen a image.Thanx and I hope if it happens its a small one.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well, stranger things have happened. Here is info on Ohio's seismic risk:

Seismic Risk in Ohio

Although most people do not think of Ohio as an earthquake-prone state, at least 200 earthquakes with epicenters in Ohio have been felt since 1776. In addition, a number of earthquakes with origins outside Ohio have been felt in the state. Most of these earthquakes have been felt only locally and have caused no damage or injuries.

Time will tell.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I saw the same effect this morning in Auburn Hills, Mi. From all the lights. It looked very cool.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

darkbake
So there you guys go - an actual Wikipedia entry on this, and a random YouTube video from a user.

The Wikipedia entry says that it happens during the earthquake, not before.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Has anyone down there heard any strange sky noises before this?

Any possible connections to other strange or unexplained phenomena ?

How about other earthquake signs?

If I saw that light show around here, I'd be getting ready to evacuate!

ETA: I took a close look at the picture and I can see in two places where these light rays are coming from the outdoor lights behind all the buildings. My opinion is that this is just an atmospheric effect from ice crystals. Very cool looking effect though.
edit on 26-1-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added last comments

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
They are called light pillars, and are very different than earthquake lights, and are completely harmless:

Light pillars are a kind of optical phenomenon which is formed by the reflection of sunlight or moonlight by ice crystals that are present in the Earth's atmosphere.
The light pillar looks like a thin column that extends vertically above and/or below the source of light. The light pillar is prominently visible when the Sun is low or lies below the horizon. It normally forms an arc that extends from five to ten degrees beyond the solar disc. Light pillars can sometimes also be seen arising from the Moon.
Light pillars are formed by reflection from ice crystals with roughly horizontal faces.
Light pillars have also been known to produce false UFO reports. Niagara Falls is one such area, where the mist from the Niagara Falls causes the phenomenon to appear frequently during the winter months, where the ice crystals interact with the city's many upward facing spotlights to create prominent light pillars.
Light Pillars could also be formed by man-made light sources, such as streetlights.

Source

Nothing to worry about OP, I think you can rest easy.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I never saw them (Eq-Lights) that low!

I go with the Meteorologist, Ice Crystals.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

First and foremost, "Turner Radio Network" is becoming the "Hoaxer Radio Network" with several hoaxes posted on their news page alone. Don't believe anything they say.

The lights aren't "earthquake lights", they're called "light pillars" or reflections of city lights in the ice crystals hanging in the air:

You can see the light pillars are coming directly from the lights on the ground. They have nothing to do with earthquakes. Don't buy into hoax stories from a hoaxer radio network.

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

(EDIT: After I posted I saw the post above this one, the one that denies ignorance. Rest well Ohioians)

From your photo and the source article and photos it looks like these lights were sustained, while in most historic earthquake light sightings the lights weren't sustained (or were they?). These look like they are coming from well-lit areas. Ohio is in the midst of the current Midwest U.S. cold and snow snap, so hopefully there are just some kind of ice crystal phenomena. It's odd that news sources are picking up the story though, just enough to put locals on edge for a few days, which will at least take their minds off the well-below zero windchills.
edit on 26-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I thought Earthquake Lights happen DURING the quake?

I guess I'll have to go back and reread about them again. Could have sworn they happen during quakes....not as progenitors. (crushing rocks would produce tremors, yes?)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join