It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIndset of Marines - Publicized Falluah Killing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I'm just assessing what I saw in the vid. Really, I don't care either way. I never said anything about whether shooting the guy was right or wrong. No amount of chest pounding about all the combat people have seen will impress me. I was basically addressing the excuses people were making for his actions like "He was shot in the face the day before" and "He saw his buddies die".

Well, in war you are going to get shot at are you not? And yes, you are going to see your friends die are you not? If the great lawn wars of 1982 taught me anything, it was that. Oh, and not to fortify my base so close to dog poo.

[edit on 21-11-2004 by cargo]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
Well, in war you are going to get shot at are you not? And yes, you are going to see your friends die are you not? If the great lawn wars of 1982 taught me anything, it was that. Oh, and not to fortify my base so close to dog poo.

So all of this is OK as long as you dont hurt the enemy? As long as its just us being shot and blown up its just part of being in the army?

Well being shot and blown up is also part of what happens when you FIGHT AGAINST the army. I wont shed a single tear for the insurgent

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I can't give anyone credit who trys to make his point then belittles everyone else by taking about "leading a battalion to victory in the great lawn war of 1982"

Are you putting an effort into coming across like a jerk, or taking offense that no one is saying string the little grunt up? The excuses as you call them are valid if true.

Continue to take comfort in your ability to belittle those who have some inkling of the man's situation that they are prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And remember. If the Marines had thought they had done wrong that vid would not have seen the light of day. Vid can also be edited, or are you an expert in that too.

Yes you have offended me smart arse, because I didnt set out to offend you.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I wont shed a tear for him either. Like I said, I'm just going on what I saw in the vid. I don't care what he went through in the last few days. The very point is that these people are so professional that they can handle the job right? I know that I couldn't, which is why Im not there.

If you join the military for a career, you are a trained professional conditioned to accept and deal with what happens on the battlefield. That is what you are PAID to do and what you are PAID to be. Is that a true statement?

PS: I've had enough of the macho BS mentality on this forum that unless you've served you arn't worth sh*t. That logic can piss off as far as I'm concerned. I would be first in line to defend my country on my own soil, but you will never see me paid to kill in a foreign country.

edit: This marine shooting the guy might very well be the correct thing for him to do. Its the excuses people are making for his actions which annoy me.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
When replying, I posted before I read your posts craig. If you take offense to them when they arn't directed at you, then whatever.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
If you join the military for a career, you are a trained professional conditioned to accept and deal with what happens on the battlefield. That is what you are PAID to do and what you are PAID to be. Is that a true statement?

Okay, by that logic. The marine saw a threat to him, his squad, and the embedded reporter. He eliminated that threat as his training dictated. Period. Game Set Match. Fair in war means your men come home safely and screw the rest.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Exactly. The guy was paid to do his job and he did it. It might not have been the best way, but that's how he did it. He made the call, even after (sort of) asking for some guidance ("he's faking it", etc.).

NSA

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
That could very well be the case Fred. And to boot, the marine squeezed in a cool one-liner that will surely be featured in a movie script in a few years time.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
By the same respect Cargo taking the piss out of those who have insults everyone, including whether you care or not, me a humble Reservist whose been fortunate not to have to go to war.

He is no less a human being for being a soldier or a cop, and thier countries do not pay them to get killed if they can avoid it. That doesnt mean not going to war, but erring on ther benefit of themselves and thier mates when they are on the battlefield.....Even a "GI Joe General" from 82 should know that! *winks*

The last time I checked, the terrorists leaders and backers were the only ones paying thier people's families bonuses for them to do that.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The lawn wars comment was a stab at having to justify "combat experience" on a public internet forum thread about a video showing a US Marine shooting an insurgent who may or may not have been a threat. A video. And yes I will comment on it. According to some, you'd think we are all retarded and incapable of perceiving the situation...

I don't feel like any less of a man because I havn't had the misfortune of killing somebody on a battlefield.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ok people shake hand an make up.

I am tired of these war between the "war experts" and the "war critics"

I have not war experience but I am a proud wife of an ex Marine.

Any body that saw the video depending of their "war" knowledge will interpret what it sees in a different way.

1. War connosseurs or war vets, will be patriot about it, and will justify the actions of their fellow soldiers, my husband falls in this category.

2. A person with not war experiences will differ from the "war connoisseurs" they will see and interpret as an arm soldier shooting a none arm wounded human being. Not a good picture here.

3. A muslin or muslin radical will see an American killing one their own in their lands. In other words an invader in their lands killing their people.

Now stop the arguing and shake hands.

[edit on 21-11-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cargo...

I don't feel like any less of a man because I havn't had the misfortune of killing somebody on a battlefield.

And I am not saying your less of a man, BUT I am saying you do not understand combat and never will by playing with your GI Joes. You can not understand it till you have been there and that is all I am going to say on the subject

top topics

<< 1   >>

join