It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HERO! 8-year-old saved 6 in fire, died trying to save 7th

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This little boy was a hero. He did everything he could to save his loved ones in a time of need.

It's sad that there were so many people living and sleeping in such a small home. However, I'm sure plenty of us know folks in the same situation due to this economy.

Mobile homes have little survival rate when fires like this happen and they are extremely susceptible to fire.

Tyler J. Doohan knew he didn't have school Monday because of the holiday and asked his mother if it would be OK if he stayed at his grandfather's trailer here.

Tyler knew the place well. He stayed there frequently, playing with other kids in the Rochester, N.Y. suburb and having barbecues and bonfires with his family in the summer.

Tyler was able to wake six people. including two other children ages 4 and 6, all of whom escaped. Tyler died when he tried to help Smith, who uses a wheelchair and crutches because he was without part of a leg.

Tyler Doohan
Tyler Doohan died as he tried to rescue his disabled uncle.(Photo: Courtesy of Beach family)
The relatives who escaped the fire, whom neighbors said included Tyler's grandmother, aunt and cousins, were taken to a hospital Strong Memorial Hospital with injuries that were not considered life threatening. One woman suffered second-degree burns as she helped others from the burning trailer, Ebmeyer said.

Source
edit on 1/22/2014 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/22/2014 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
that is so sad. I believe we are put here for one reason. He fulfilled his. What a brave little boy and he will be in my prayers.

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Damn it.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
He loved his family and did what he really knew was right. What a wonderful light. He's in a much more advanced place now.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
R.I.P kid.

You did good.

+16 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I'll have a moment of silence for him...then a call to webster to have his picture added under the definition of bravery.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
So young and to have the composure to save so many, Lil guy is a hero indeed, and if there is an afterlife I can only hope he is promptly given a good one!!!

Rest in peace, for all those you saved are forever grateful for your sacrifice!!!

SaneThinking

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

just when I thought most of the men in this country were a bunch of feminized weaklings with low testosterone and lacking any back bone......an 8 year old MAN steps up and proves me wrong.

Way to be a MAN when life required it of you!

Would love to know the conversation between him and his uncle during their last heroic moments.

Did his uncle tell him to leave him and save himself? Did the boy refuse?

Anyway....awesome story....love that stuff

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I just read this story and was going to post it to ATS. What a brave kid he was and I am sure he would have grown into a fine man. It breaks my heart that NINE people we're living in a 14 x 60 foot trailer home. Those things seem to always go up like a Roman candle whenever they catch fire, which is unfortunate in this day and age.

I read another article stating there is a online fundraising campaign in order to pay for funeral expenses. I'm not one who normally gives to these types of things, but damn, these people probably truly need it; so I will. Here is a link to the You Caring crowd funding site for those who wish to donate:

Tyler Doohan You Caring page

Hope this reminds everyone to be very careful with electric blankets, space heaters, and even fire places right now. Where I live it is below zero but I am very thankful we have heat and a fireplace.

Will definitely keep his family in my thoughts and prayers.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
A TRUE example of what it means to have courage. You did good little guy and will be remembered forever. Bless your soul and may you rest in peace.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Mamatus
Damn it.

Yeah.

Poor kid.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

R.I.P Little big man.
Good job buddy.

This reminds me of that other kid that saved his classmates from a bomb. Bravery and compassion has no age limit.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Man, this story made me cry....and his face. Looks like he was a total sweetheart. I know he did a manly thing...just the Mom in me sees a baby

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I weep, and I am at a loss for words . . .

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I am in no way at all trying to take away from the selfless bravery this little boy showed. He is deserving of nothing but utmost respect and I am truly moved to tears by this story.

But I have to say....after my initial thoughts about how very brave this little boy was, my second thought was where were the adults in this situation to protect HIM?
If I am reading the reports correctly there were 4 adults that he woke and managed to get to safety. Surely once they were alerted to the situation at least one of those adults was in a fit state to take control of the situation and protect this little boy? I know it says that his uncle was disabled but it doesn't mention that the 4 adults he led outside to safety were incapacitated at all.

Like I said I am in no way at all trying to take away from this little boys bravery.....just so sad that an 8 year old boy felt like he had to take control of the situation whilst there was adults present.

I can't honestly bare thinking about it anymore....

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Daver2056
that is so sad. I believe we are put here for one reason. He fulfilled his. What a brave little boy and he will be in my prayers.

he fulfilled his reason? a boys only reason for life was to die for other people?
that seems odd to me

edit on 1-22-14 by okamitengu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

I agree, they are also the same adults that thought it was ok not to have a smoke detector and allow a child to stay there overnight. I live about 20 minutes from where this happened and I have a child the same age.

I just can't believe so many people were there and this was the outcome.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Only the good die young.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rupertg

That saying is so wrong that it aches. The reality is that only the reckless dye young (by their own actions or by the reckless situation that they are pushed or allowed into).

One other thing that I was thinking as I read the thread is how often the word Hero is abused, utilized to characterize people that just do their damn job of function, in this case and not many few (in context to the use of the word) are the exceptions that should reflect the meaning of heroic action.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join