It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There, Their, They're, Your, You're & Writing it like you stole it

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Obvious what the rant is about.

Ironically its usually the people trying to come off as more intellectual or educated than others who are the worst culprits

www.wikihow.com...

www.wikihow.com...

'Write it like you stole it', is the impression you grammar cowboys (and girls) give in consideration of your scribblings.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Tidnabnilims

I know what ya mean. If you can generally understand the point someone is making regardless of minor or even fairly noticeable infractions regarding grammar, then it's honestly not really anything to get all uppity about, at all!

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I think it comes from reading less, so people are less familiar with the way words look.
Another effect is the growing habit of "spell as you pronounce", which leads to all sorts of confusing oddities (thanks to sloppy pronunciation).
My favourite example is the way that "can" is now becoming the negative form of "can".
So it is becoming impossible to tell whether "You can do this" is giving permission or refusing it.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 1Providence1

Sadly that just leads to Idiocracy, dont cater for the lowest common denominator, help make it higher.

Could you apply the same, 'well its kind of right, except for all the wrong bits', acceptance to other subjects ?

Also, 'Rants', forum so why cant I get uppity here again ?
edit on 22-1-2014 by Tidnabnilims because: while these examples are very common, there is far to much ad-hoc grammar in general, it seemed like a good place to start
edit on 22-1-2014 by Tidnabnilims because: Clarity, grammar, l2r and too many edits so I condensed it
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
There, there. It's ok. Their heart's in the right place. They're just a bit confused! You're correct in your observation though. The internets are rife with grammatical errors.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Y'know, I never understood how people can get that stuff wrong. We've all gone to school(most of us at least). We've all been taught very similar things when it comes to the english language. I know not everyone is going to be on the same expertise level, but still, they should know the basics.

When people talk, I forgive mistakes, because I make them more often than I'm comfortable to admit. Sometimes it feels like my mouth is moving faster than my brain, or that maybe my brain needs a defragment done on it so I can access my files better. lol But when you type, there's no excuse. You can see what you're typing. Matter of fact, I can type over 100wpm, and that's with my backspace button to correct my mistakes.

I think what bothers me the most about this, is there are plenty of people who just don't care. They're happy being stupid. I mean, I know ignorance is bliss, but a lot of this isn't ignorance, it's plain stupidity. Why are they ok with looking stupid??

English and grammar is one of the first things we're taught, and it's just odd that it's one of the first things people forget/stop caring about.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
[

I have a degree in English Lit, but sometimes even I make these mistakes when I get carried away while writing. In an effort to keep up with my thought process, my fingers tend to put whatever form of a word comes to mind. The difference is that I usually go back and check for mistakes like that, but I sometimes miss them. For that reason, I don't usually let it bother me because it's easy to do. Side note... I always love reading the comments of news articles because 9/10 times the argument will eventually have something like "it's you're not your, idiot" in an attempt to make someone's argument less valid.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Tidnabnilims

Ironically its usually the people trying to come off as more intellectual or educated than others who are the worst culprits

www.wikihow.com...

www.wikihow.com...

'Write it like you stole it', is the impression you grammar cowboys (and girls) give in consideration of your scribblings.

It's.

Isn't it ironic how rants on spelling contain mistakes ?

edit on 22-1-2014 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

SleepyOwl
[

I have a degree in English Lit, but sometimes even I make these mistakes when I get carried away while writing. In an effort to keep up with my thought process, my fingers tend to put whatever form of a word comes to mind. The difference is that I usually go back and check for mistakes like that, but I sometimes miss them. For that reason, I don't usually let it bother me because it's easy to do. Side note... I always love reading the comments of news articles because 9/10 times the argument will eventually have something like "it's you're not your, idiot" in an attempt to make someone's argument less valid.

We all make mistakes so that is why proofreading and making corrections is so important.
Any post beyond a few statements I typically proofread a few times and edit accordingly.
Just a good rule of thumb, especially around these parts.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I have to edit many of my posts, because it's somehow easier to see typos on the main page than to spot them in the edit box.
My standard mistake is reversing the order of letters. Many's the time, when writing about Revelation, I had to go back and edit words like "the Besat" and "Chirstain".

edit on 22-1-2014 by DISRAELI because: Editing "if" to "of"

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I did put this section in to my INTRODUCTION , so i'm save.

I speak fluid english, german and any luanguish in scandinavia but i am pretty bad at writting and spelling those luangish, grammar is awefull, so leave it alone, or actually point it out if it's really bad.

Btw, wrong spelling has nothing to do with intelligence, it's in many cases a disorder, and can follow you your whole life.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Tidnabnilims

www.wikihow.com...

www.wikihow.com...

Laff owt lowd gie, wat a gramer natsi sum peeple can bee.

It isn't like it matters so people can understand you're talking about your home, and they're coming over there tonight to get their rewards for good grammar.

Good rant though. This video will help a lot.

Nvm can't post it, language issues. His name is Mac lethal, the song is called grammar.

Great stuff.
edit on 2014bWednesdayv3520141 by oblvion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

muzzleflash

Tidnabnilims

www.wikihow.com...

www.wikihow.com...

It's.

Isn't it ironic how rants on spelling contain mistakes ?

edit on 22-1-2014 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

Outstanding, I didn't even notice it

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

More times than not it's just simply a typo and has nothing to do with the person not knowing the difference.

I catch a few of my own typos (but not always) when I proofread before I finally post... particularly with sentences that mince the "there/their/your/you're" a lot in them.

Muzzleflash's catch of your typo in your own OP is a good case in point of this common typing error occurrence.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I here you OP, it sucks when people do that.
They thing there so special and all, but your right, there wrong about all of this.
its annoying, but you have to stay strong until they learn there ignorance.. i could care less. oh and... aluminum....

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Tidnabnilims
reply to post by 1Providence1

Sadly that just leads to Idiocracy, dont cater for the lowest common denominator, help make it higher.

Could you apply the same, 'well its kind of right, except for all the wrong bits', acceptance to other subjects ?

Also, 'Rants', forum so why cant I get uppity here again ?
edit on 22-1-2014 by Tidnabnilims because: while these examples are very common, there is far to much ad-hoc grammar in general, it seemed like a good place to start
edit on 22-1-2014 by Tidnabnilims because: Clarity, grammar, l2r and too many edits so I condensed it

Idiocracy should have been spelt with a small i, dont should have contained an apostraphe as in do not, as should your spelling of its.

Just saying

extra DIV

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Let's not forget that there are many ATS members who speak English as a second language.
There are people here from all over the world.
Just sayin

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

fenian8

Idiocracy should have been spelt

Hey you taught me something new, albeit inadvertently.
I always thought "Spelt" was "Spelled" wrong, because I was told specifically that in school (due to making that "mistake").

However I looked it up, and it turns out that in the UK, it is considered acceptable spelling.

That begs the question though, why is it considered wrong in "American English", if it was considered correct originally?
What was it originally to begin with? Many questions...

I am going to go investigate how this split occurred.
I bet there is already a ton of info on it just waiting to be dusted off.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
LOL@ thread!

I write it like I wish someone would take the damn language back.

posted on Jan, 22 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

oh and... aluminum....

Thats because Yanks cant pronounce english...

oops....yanks can be forgiven

en.wikipedia.org...

The spelling aluminium is the international standard in the sciences according to the IUPAC recommendations. Humphry Davy, the element's discoverer, first proposed the name alumium, and then later aluminum. The name aluminium was finally adopted to conform with the -ium ending of metallic elements.[99] Canada uses aluminum and Australia and New Zealand aluminium, according to their respective dictionaries.[100]

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join