It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Omnibus Spending Bill Continues Funding Food Stamp Ads in Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This one is a surprise.

I never heard of it before.

Apparently **Advertising** American food stamps is 'common' in foreign countries ?

What possible reason for this ?

Hmmm.

Do food stamps "trade" in foreign countries?

Omnibus Spending Bill Continues Funding Food Stamp Ads in Mexico

The omnibus spending bill before Congress continues to fund U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) advertising programs for food stamps in foreign countries like Mexico, Breitbart News has learned.

The bill was hashed out between House Appropriations Committee chairman Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY) and Senate Appropriations Committee chairwoman Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-MD). The funding will continue despite claims in a document the House Appropriations Committee published that the bill contains a “prohibition” on such programs. Page three of this press document states regarding food stamps that the omnibus spending bill contains a "prohibition on advertisements or outreach with foreign governments."

The entire paragraph that contains that statement reads:

Requirements for the Secretary of Agriculture to help weed out and eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse in the SNAP program – including a directive to ban fraudulent vendors, and a prohibition on advertisements or outreach with foreign governments.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
hey. why not? the tax-hookers, oh i'm sorry, lords and ladies oh i'm sorry, honorable ladies and gentleman in the government, they don't worry about whose voting in elections. they already know we get the WORST government that money can buy! they'll even tell you that. U.S. politicians, the guys that came up with this model of governance "never let a crisis go to waste" ! yes. they advertise foodstamps overseas for the same reason california makes undocumented foreign nationals lawyers in the state of california! Law? what law? I AM THE LAW. Remember up until VERY recently, we used to have "veterans", now we're "domestic terrorists" before we had a constitution. Now we have the patriot act and the dhs. before we had "physicians", now we have IRS agents. before we had the 'american dream", now we have "social engineering". before we had deadbeats, now we have "income inequality". before we had a clue, now we have the teachers union. before we had good guys and communists. now we have "community organizers" and "communists", well I guess some things never change. anyway, i suggest you adopt to the new normal, which is this. life is the two trees and for the USA, most of the leaves have already fallen. thank goodenss we have all those nice shiny nukes! when it gets unbearble, press the button, down your shot of tequila, light up a "Smoke"
and get ready for a tanning booth on a cosmic scale!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

xuenchen
This one is a surprise.

I never heard of it before.

Apparently **Advertising** American food stamps is 'common' in foreign countries ?

Incorrect..

The lie was thoroughly debunked by Salon in an article this spring .

The lie appears to have a kernel of truth at its core, but not one right wing morons like Rush Limbaugh would like to admit.

The program actually began under George W. Bush, and provides information to Mexican consulates within the United States. Not in Mexico, in the United States.

In 2004, the USDA announced the program :

Many Mexican Americans and Mexican nationals working within the United States have limited awareness of eligibility for Food Stamps and other nutrition programs such as Women, Infants and Children program and school meals. Additional barriers such as the language heightens the need for specialized outreach. The objectives under this agreement include new partnerships, communications outreach in both English and Spanish, and other activities to educate eligible populations.

The USDA plainly states that these benefits are not available to the people Limbaugh says are collecting them:

"SNAP eligibility has never been extended to undocumented non-citizens."

In order to qualify for food stamps, one must hold a green card and reside in the United States legally for five years. However, more than 96% of SNAP recipients are citizens of the United States.

rushtruth.net...
edit on 15-1-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Living in Canada, I've never seen an ad for food stamps. Ever.

(post by rupertg removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I recently asked someone the other day what they were going to make for dinner. This is the reply I got:

"I don't know. My boyfriend does all the shopping, he's on foodstamps. Usually he just comes home with a bunch of junk food..."

I got fairly upset over hearing that, and the nonchalant attitude to which it was said.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

And our military continues to sit on their hands while taking an oath and being paid for protecting our freedom. What a joke.
edit on 15-1-2014 by papolim18 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2014 by papolim18 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

MystikMushroom
I recently asked someone the other day what they were going to make for dinner. This is the reply I got:

"I don't know. My boyfriend does all the shopping, he's on foodstamps. Usually he just comes home with a bunch of junk food..."

I got fairly upset over hearing that, and the nonchalant attitude to which it was said.

Can you articulate the nature of what made you upset?

Junk food, both on the shelves and in the fast-food chains, is consistently and directly marketed toward low income consumers. The term "food desert" refers to urban areas where purchasing fresh foods is near impossible and options are limited to Fast-Food and convenience stores. This is the reason for new initiatives to encourage stores like Wal-Mart and Target to carry groceries in an effort to give more choice to consumers that can't easily access the typical grocery store. One of the ironies of "junk food" is that they are high on calories, sugar, corn syrup, additives and preservatives...and low on nutritional value, thus creating obesity and malnutrition at the same time accelerating risk of diabetes and other diseases.
edit on 15-1-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
[Snip]

Well now's a great chance to blame Bush then.

And you might as well bash the Republicans in Congress too.

The source is from (see page 3) the House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Roger
edit on 15/1/14 by JAK because: Quote of T&C infraction removed.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Blame Bush for the decades long social programs like food stamps that is nothing but corporate fascism ?

Why yes everyone needs that 'free GMO' food.

Sure why not make everyone pay for those people.

Lets make them bloody effing evil corporations even more rich!!!!

Sure why not blame Bush!

That is all anyone does.

And that corporate WELFARE has EXPANDED dramatically in the last 6 years.

nothing to see here folks it's just 'propaganda'!

top topics

join