It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A few good cops!! The other side of the coin!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
So lately I have been fighting an uphill battle here on ATS. I have dared to offer my support for LEO's, Cops and the like.
I know that the overwhelming consensus on here is the cops are "bad", "psycho" or "insert whatever you like" and I am not saying people can not feel how they feel at all. In fact the beauty of a good debate is differences in opinion.

I am not a baby so if you do not like this thread, please offer up anything you wish, even directed at me. You are FREE in my opinion to have whatever opinion you feel you must have. Stand by your convictions and all that....but I am here today to
offer a few random stories (with source material, not made-up) that hopefully show some of you on here that maybe, just maybe.....well you make up your own mind.

Cop handcuffs himself to suicidal woman

This next story involves an OFF-DUTY cop in Salt lake City - Cops saves lives in Mall

The next post is an image with an explanation. It's quite a nice little story Cops befriends sucidal man

(My favorite) This next clip shows a very reasonable well mannered cop who stops a man carrying an unloaded gun One Good Cop

Cops help man who walked 29 miles 29 miles walked Cops pay for cab

This one is a silent video but there is a full description and information about this vid. Cops buys kid a meal moments beofre he is killed.

The next article is about a generous NY cop. NY cops gives homeless man his sweater

This is a great story Cops pays for ticket he wrote out

Another great story Shoplifter helped by COP

I did not want to over do it, I just wanted to sow that cops in general are good. Obviously there are a few bad ones, but that doesn't warrant the abuse I have seen some getting on here.

Please feel free to bash me, but we have had loads of threads attacking cops behavior. The intent here was to post a few good stories to even out the balance.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
My problem is with humans, generally speaking. As with any group of people, a few bad apples spoil the bunch. These days, the few bad apples of any given group are the ones getting attention, while the good ones are lucky to be mentioned at all. The masses look for the negative.

I have encountered good cops and bad cops. Some people should not be allowed to be in that position, but they don't want people of higher intelligence, they want soldiers who will jump if they say jump. I could never be a cop or a soldier. If told to jump, my response would be "why? You jump." They (those in charge) wouldn't like that...

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
There's lots of good cops as your examples show. Most cops are good cops.

Usually bad cops are bad on any particular day because they are human beings under stress and their professionalism is crumbling. And if a member of ATS has a bad experience with a bad cop, it's probably for that reason.

However there's no question that there's a certain personality type and mentality which makes somebody become a cop. Under enough stress so that the professionalism cracks away, that personality type shows its worst side.

I say put yourselves in their shoes. Imagine having to put up with as much crap as they did that day, as many awful people as they had to deal with, and then they have to try and be professional with you -- probably as you are being disruptive and confrontational. How good would you be in that situation? Really?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by projectbane

the reason you are fighting an up hill battle is that police when they put on that uniform are swearing an oath to "protect and serve"......this is their job description...period.....yes there are good cops out there,but the problem lies when u have a rotten core...sadly the good cops will not speak against the bad ones for varying internal reasons and here lies the problem.......

so it is quite simple when the police do the wrong thing like fabricate charges and use excessive force it gets frowned upon....

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I never really have had a beef with the police. Humanity in general has moments of extreme behavior.

But I can kind of see why cops go overboard sometimes.

They have to deal with morons and liars on a daily basis. After so long having to deal with scumbags and criminals, your going to start getting pretty aggravated and hardened. And they can start getting accustomed to thinking everyone is a criminal, and everyone is lying to them. Especially in areas that usually have a lot more crime.

And it doesn't help that the police are authority figures. Just a little bit of power can corrupt people. Not too say that it happens to them all though. But i often see many acts of atrocities carried out by them, nearly on a day-to-day basis. But, I do see quite a bit of good cops too. Probably not as much, since good news never really gets good ratings. Which in turn reduces the stories of the good coming to light.

But overall I am pretty neutral when it comes to the police. They're people just like us. Some good, and some bad.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   

hopenotfeariswhatweneed

the reason you are fighting an up hill battle is that police when they put on that uniform are swearing an oath to "protect and serve"......this is their job description...period.....yes there are good cops out there,but the problem lies when u have a rotten core...sadly the good cops will not speak against the bad ones for varying internal reasons and here lies the problem.......

so it is quite simple when the police do the wrong thing like fabricate charges and use excessive force it gets frowned upon....

Actually that is where you are mistaken a little. The protect and serve was merely a "motto" not a legal oath towards YOU the public. The police officer by law if required to "enforce the law" NOT " protect the individual"

n 1856, the U.S. Supreme Court (South v. Maryland) found that law enforcement officers had no duty to protect any individual. Their duty is to enforce the law in general. More recently, in 1982 (Bowers v. DeVito), the Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit held, "...there is no Constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen. It is monstrous if the state fails to protect its residents... but it does not violate... the Constitution." Later court decisions concurred: the police have no duty to protect you.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

There is always the good with the bad. The major theme though, given our society and our entertainment needs, we highlight the bad and with such, has drowned out the good and relegated such moments as "extraordinary". I refuse to believe that the world is more evil than good. That society is more unjust than just. That man is more capable of wrong doing than it is of being decent.

Call it naive, it has worked for me and I surround myself with people who have a similar outlook. Deny evil, injustice and ignorance and you will be revealed all the good, just and knowledge that humankind has to offer.

Okay, I am off my "new-age" soap box. Nice to see some positive videos in task against the deluge of our propensity for "what is wrong".

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It is very enlightening to me to see that no one that like to "bash", "attack" or "belittle" cops on other threads wishes to make a valid and constructive comment about these FEW little article I posted.

IN FACT they have stayed well clear of this thread. They can not appease the fact that their uprising against COPS is more to do with them feeling inadequately prepared to hear that sometimes their are mistakes made but overall the consensus among the PUBLIC at large is that cops no matter who they work for, are doing a relatively good job.

They have nothing to say, but will jump straight on the next thread that has a cop allegedly doing something untoward. I have seen the same people frequent cops bashing threads over and over.

Come bash these article and make claims that they are "one in a million"!! Unlikely, because sense prevails!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I'm not one of these people you're speaking of, but I do feel obligated to tell you that you're missing the point.

Show me one of these good cops arresting another officer when they beat a kid with aspergers half to death because he isn't listening to their orders.

Show me one of these good cops pulling a gun on their partner when their partner pulls a gun on a citizen with no grounds to.

Show me one of these good cops disarming a fellow officer when they go too far with the baton.

Show me one of these good cops ratting out another officers who blatantly lies and says that someone was "violently resisting", giving grounds for excessive force.

The majority of cops are good cops, that's obviously not the problem. The problem is the "brotherhood" mentality that allows them to stop upholding the law when it's being directly broken by one of their co-workers. These officers should be arresting EACHOTHER when they break the law an they should go through the system like everyone else. Not this "paid leave" nonsense. Assault is assault, murder is murder. Just because they are police officers shouldn't mean that they get a free pass to do it without the same penalties as everyone else.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Officers Leave Note For Drunk Man They Helped Get Home
Two Hertfordshire police officers have left a note with a drunk man who they helped get home.
It read: "David - We found you staggering in the road on your way home from Watford. You were so drunk we were worried you wouldn't get home in one piece! So we gave you a lift home. Please don't get that drunk again! Love from Cagney and Lacey.

www.heart.co.uk...

They are certainly not all bad.....! I have met a few very fine stand up policemen and women who really are here to protect and serve the citizens living in their country...

Shame that the minority does not remember this...

new topics

top topics

join