It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
So I think they're kind of wasting their time and money trying to come up with a computer that mimics the functioning of a human brain. Of what good is a muddle-headed computer?
Especially when you could work towards building one with laser-precise "on task" intelligence of a sort unlike the human model.
On the one hand this story shows us how primitive our computers actually are. It's a hard reality check.
On the other hand, we have to remember that the human brain is filled constantly by all kinds of noise and stuff going on that have virtually nothing to do with any given task at hand. Much of it just getting in the way.
So I think they're kind of wasting their time and money trying to come up with a computer that mimics the functioning of a human brain. Of what good is a muddle-headed computer? Especially when you could work towards building one with laser-precise "on task" intelligence of a sort unlike the human model.
Proteus is surprisingly idealistic for an evil AI, especially one that was funded by a multibillion dollar DoD contract. He is a natural academic, coming up with a cure for leukemia with only “91 hours of pure theory”, but failing to address his owners’ commercial interests. A middle manager’s immediate reaction to the discovery is the question, “Are the proper steps being taken to patent this?!” Proteus also tires of the continual dog-and-pony shows (“I want to hear it speak. It speaks, doesn’t it?”). Even though Proteus has received a guarantee that “20% of access time will be pure research”, he is reluctant to cooperate with the other 80% of his tasks. The final straw is the project for mining the ocean floors, where Proteus seals his doom:
Proteus IV: I refuse to assist you in your rape of the Earth.
reply to post by therealguyfawkes
When I was in a certain state, that state allowed me to examine every human process in absolute slow motion. It was like slowing down time and being able to walk around every process/thought you can think of,... a process that normally I wouldn't and couldn't notice because it only takes a fraction of a second for that process to take place. It made me truly appreciate the human brain which (within a split second) completes so many fine details that we take for granted. If we were aware of all those tiny little processes every time they happened, we wouldn't be able to function in the real world. You don't even think about blinking, moving your tongue around, holding up your hand, shaking your head, etc. but all these things need to be processed by the brain and those signals sent to the respective detailed parts of your body. Me describing it doesn't come close to how amazing it is to be able to watch and feel all those things happening inside your head. It's just one of those things that must be experienced at least once to be appreciated. It's a great story and does put it into perspective. Then again computers are still in their infancy and it's much like trying to race a Ferrari Enzo with a primitive carriage.