It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bedroom Tax Suicide Victim in Vain: Granny was exempt from housing loss

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Enlighten me, what is the actual purpose of deducting benefits from those with a spare room if not to force them from that property? You call me cuckoo yet its a very logical argument i just dont think you can stomach the sinister tone to it.

It is not to force them from their homes. The exact same rules have been in place for the private rented sector for as long as I can remember. If you are a single person, you will only receive an allowance for one bedroom. You are free to rent whatever property you want, but you have to make up the difference yourself. This is the same for a parent who has originally been entitled to a two or three bed home when their children live with them, but when their children reach a certain age, or move out, then that entitlement drops back down to a single bedroom. This is the point where either you decide to move to a smaller place or you make up the difference yourself and if your grown up children still live with you then it would be preposterous to assume that they wouldn't be helping you out with living costs.

However, in the private sector that difference in allowance and actual rent can be considerable, whereas in the council sector the difference is a maximum of £12-14 per week, but usually much less (in my area, the difference between a one bed and a two bed is £4 per week) But like I say, no one seems to give a damn about those in the private sector who have had these rules in place for years and who suffer financial hardship to make up the difference in their rent whether they under-occupy or not.

I do agree that private rents can be excessive, but thanks to the previous Labour govt and continued to some degree with the coalition is that an economy was built on rising house prices as a measure of wealth and as such, those high prices trickle down as high rents, it's basic economics. And lets face it, had the original council tenants not bought their houses for peanuts, then sold them on for vast profits then this situation would not have been so bad now. But sadly that's people for you...self serving and greedy, only looking at their immediate future and buying that new car or going on a nice holiday...they didn't think about where their children and grandchildren would live and what the cost of that would be.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Hmmn ... I find it rather odd that .....

If when purchasing a house it is never questioned that a three or four

bedroomed house is always going to be more expensive than a one or two

bedroomed one!

That a larger car will be more expensive than a smaller one both to buy and run!

That being the case how its not fair to charge more rent for a house that has

surplus bedrooms ? .... and then, it would appear that it is OK to take the money

from an old person's equity from their own home (in all probability their

only asset) that they have managed to buy through diligence, careful budgeting

and working throughout their lives, to pay for their care (the same care) at exorbitant

rates which the person on social housing gets for FREE

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Ok had one son still at home and was school age, wife cant sleep in the same room as me as Im always turning, and yell out constant each way I turn, I do it when Im sleeping as well as the pain killers dont work.

I was in private rented accomodation had no hot water, the electric for the whole house was fed by one cable with tape and was c joining the wires, the toilet came through the ceiling, the fire brigade wanted to know the extension down as the turn off electricity that the fire brigade use was bricked over and if there was a fire they would be unable to use water to put it out.

I aked my landlord to do repairs and he was evicting me.
#
I was being made homeless and was disabled, the law states that if a local authority does not have a property to house a disabled person then they must build one ( that is the law)

I was top of the housing list and they said I needed a certain type of property, knowing that property never becomes available.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

That is one of the saddest replies I have ever read.
Do you know what is sad about it.
You are on housing benefit she was on housing benefit.
You said no one felt sorry for me no out cry when I had to pay, ME ME ME
You have children which you get family allowance for and extra benefit.

This woman lived herself and got perhaps £74 a week where the loss of £ 5 is a lot

But the saddest part of all is here we have the poor attacking the poor.
with a lack of compassion.
The difference between the rich and the poor.
Is the Rich dont attack the Rich

And that is why the rich have everything and the poor have nothing

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

pavmas

That is one of the saddest replies I have ever read.
Do you know what is sad about it.
You are on housing benefit she was on housing benefit.
You said no one felt sorry for me no out cry when I had to pay, ME ME ME
You have children which you get family allowance for and extra benefit.

This woman lived herself and got perhaps £74 a week where the loss of £ 5 is a lot

But the saddest part of all is here we have the poor attacking the poor.
with a lack of compassion.
The difference between the rich and the poor.
Is the Rich dont attack the Rich

And that is why the rich have everything and the poor have nothing

I do not get family allowance and extra benefit for my daughter who is 19...she contributes her share via her student loans. When she turns 20 later this year, my extra bedroom allowance will stop and if my health has not improved by that time and I still cannot work, then my housing allowance will drop down and I will have to pay an extra £28 per week and we will still be reliant on my own benefit and my daughter's student loans.

My daughter cares about me and will make sacrifices, as have I (obviously) made sacrifices for her...If this woman's family did not give a crap about her, enough to help her out a bit, then I do not see how I can help. Being poor has meant that my daughter and I have to help each other out as much as possible, we do not expect anyone else to look out for us, and are grateful that at least we have a roof over our heads and that we are given money to subsist. We don't go out and rarely get new clothes, it's a struggle to pay for gas and electricity...but still we are grateful...we do not feel that we are owed anything by anyone. In fact, I happily paid into the system for over 20yrs, quite large amounts at times, I never grumbled or complained, just paid up, every month, I got no help or assistance from anyone, I brought my daughter up, entirely on my own, with not a penny from her father. I went to Uni, got a degree, worked hard and then I was struck down with a debilitating illness, have been hsopitalised, several times...

So do not dare make assumptions about me or my life!

As for your poor attacking the poor statement (and all of the stars you got for your ignorant rant) what a load of BS

BTW if your property is anything as bad as you say it is, and you report it to them, the council will immediately stop paying your housing benefit, re-home you and take your landlord to court as he must be registered under the landlord scheme in order for you to receive housing benefit for his property and a property in that state, not caused by the tenant, would come under the unacceptable level, not fit for habitation regulations and the council would not pay for someone to live in it...it's the law

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Let me explain a couple of things to you, my employer had let his insurance lapse, he had his house in his wifes name, he closed the business down when I had the accident, he really should not have bothered because I never had the cash to tke him to court and legal aid is no existance.

I got Industrial disablement which is £32 a week now as its 11% or something disabled, when I first got it it was 74% and a lot more but the DSS said that as I would have this for life so they would like to convert the pension to life at the rate of 11% or something, I think its 15% is the min now,

Its not much but if the worse comes to the worse at least I will be able to afford a bag of chips every day out of that.

regarding private disability insurance, had that the sent me one offer of £8,000 and explained that no more offers would be made, so take it or go to court, again I never had the cash.

My private pension was through the NF and I paid since 1977 £10 a week and the company put in double so £30 a week was going in in the 70s and up to 1986 so there should be a few bob their.

When Im asked by the DSS is I have a pension, I say yes but I dont know where it is and Im sick of looking and if you find it you can keep it,

you see that was my money paid in by me but Maggie T allowed companies to use it and now its gone, it was the same with bus drivers they fought for years and won their court case but are still waiting for the cash and they won the case 10 years ago, because the judge said it they were deceased then no payment need be made to their estate, so they just delay payment till they die.

But like all the posters on here you called me a liar and its something I did not do right so its my own fault.

If I robbed people like I have been robbed I would have the police at the door, but if you work in an office and wear a suit it seems to be legal.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

My property was actually worse than and I know the law but do you think the council give a stuff, I was high priorty and top of thr list and they never offered me anything and it was 1 day before I was getting evicted and I managed to find a private landlord my self, they were obliged to house me but they never.

You judged that poor woman her kids but no one should dare judge you.

You paid for 20 years and you feel you are owed nothing, well I paid for that and more and you better believe I think they owe me, because Im the only one disabled in my house.

My kids earn and earn good wages and pay a fair share in tax and NI

I think its a bit rich that they take 4 times as much from my family that they return to me, and make me jump through hoops for it,

There is even talk that people on benefit are paid in vouchers so they dont spend it on Tobacco etc, This I have no problem with as long as the tax they take from my sons can be paid in vouchers to them so they cant spend it on illegal wars.

Im sick of so called tax payers saying Im paying for people on benefit, no ones paying for me but my sons, we would be happy if the government kept theirs and we kept ours
oh I forgot that would not work because governments have no money they just steal ours and act as though its theirs.

Imagine if you invested all the money you paid them and never complained about, and bought 2 houses, you could live in pne and rent out the other.

I actually feel sorry for your daughter, she is young and should be out with her mates but because you are not given enough to live on she is having to help her mother out,
A mother that paid for over 20 years, a mother that lives in an oil rich nation that never helped anyone out the south east, we were a oil producing nation and on of the highest taxed and as far as I can remember poor people have always been poor in this country.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

I have judged no one...yet you have judged me

I have attacked no one...yet you have attacked me

You have accused me of being selfish by wanting equal regulations between the private and social housing sectors...I was not just speaking for myself, I was speaking for all of those in the same position as me. But you are so wrapped up in your own problems, it would seem that you cannot see beyond the end of your own nose.

You suggest that instead of paying tax I should have bought 2 houses, lived in one and rented the other out...to whom would I rent it? Obviously to someone who has the means to pay for it, because if no one paid any tax, there would be no benefits. So clearly you believe that those that cannot work do not deserve a roof over their heads.

And FYI my daughter does not need your pity and she is as insulted as I am by your incredibly hypocritical post.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Are you half daft.

I gave as an example you could have bought two houses, yet you rabble on about about who woud you rent it to.

The point I was making that if the Government never taxed you so much,

You could have put the money by for a rainy day and supported yourself without depending on benefit.

Before the benefit system people used to put money by for problems in the future.

But now they take up to 60% of everything, tax our wages our purchases by 20%

Christ even my cat had to pay £138 vat when she got treatment and she gets no benefits.

Why would anyone of sound mind gladly pay over their wages and be happy when they receive a fraction back.

If they decide to cut your benefit their is nothing you can do where if it was your own you your could be helping your daughter with her education costs and not the other way round.

And your post said it all, your daughter is helping you out with her student loan.

You are not getting enough benefit so your daughter is taking out loans in order that you can just survive.

Your daughter is taking out loans for her education, when the people that brought that in all had their education FREE and now they are denying this to kids now,

Yes I feel sorry for your daughter, just the way I feel sorry for my grandaughter who is going through the same, she is told to phone me or her uncles if she runs out of money, and when you went to see about a grant all they offered were loans.

They taxed my parents from 14 till they died in their 60s they taxed me till i had had accident, they tax her parents her aunts and uncle and when she goes to see what help she can get with her education all they could offer was a loan,

You maybe happy with that but Im not'

Im glad to say that we have managed without them, but thats no option for a kid starting out in the world getting ladled down with debt, it never happened to past generations and it should not be happening now.

And every one of us should feel ashamed that we did not do all we could to stop this and protect our kids

And just for the record Im not wrapped us in my own problems as I don;t see them as problems and feel extremley lucky that all my family are in employment.
To make assumptions about that poor woman and her family was out of order what ever her reasons she felt it was the only way out and to me if someone feels that desperate and saw that as the only option then there is something wrong, She left a note saying it was because of the bedroom tax, so the least we can do is believe that is why she did it

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

Quote from your post >>>

"Before the benefits system people used to put money by for problems in the future"

Really??

If that were true there would be no need for a benefits system!

You must be earning a fair amount to be paying 60% in taxes? ... Taxes and National

Insurance equate to aprox. 30% after taking into consideration the tax free

first £10,000 personal allowance.

That 30% covers *free medical and *dental treatment, *hospitalisation, *schooling up

to 18 years for all children. *Paying disability benefit, *unemployment benefit, (to

those looking for or not looking for work) *Carers for the sick and elderly, and

*pensions, which all will eventually need!

Anyone on benefits can get FREE treatment for their animals from

the PDSA.

'THE ONLY TWO CERTAINITIES IN LIFE ARE DEATH AND TAXES'
.......Mark Twain.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by eletheia

Yes really we used to put money buy and managed without benefit, if a person was old and not working the family would help out by giving a few pounds.

They gave it to the woman direct, no government taking hundreds of ££s from family members and giving £74 back to the one not working.

The benefit system is the same as bad laws, In America they want to remove the rights to remove arms from 225 million people because less than 100 have went on a shooting spree.

This is the same with the benefit system, we all had to pay in because a minority had no family, instead of just helping those people from central fund they created a bloated welfare system that takes a lot and returns little per individual.

60% tax was off the top of my head its actually more than that.

You get a weekly wage of say £300 the tax and insurance is say £50 combined
that leaves £250

on the way home you fill up your tank in the car, £60, £55 pound of that is tax you pop into the supermarket for a carton of ciggarettes as you are a smoker and they will last you the week to the next pay day £70 of which £60 is tax.

You say fck sake half my wages gone already so you buy a bottle of spirits to down your sorrows £11 of which £8 is tax.

You drive home in your car that you paid £600 Vat on and had to pay approx £3 a week in road tax.

You check your insurance and despite paying 20% on it the bstards s added another £10 called a policy tax.
airport tax, stamp duty.

You call a plumber when you sink leaks, he charges £100 plus 20% Vat so the Plumber then goes home.

out of that £120 he pputs the £20 by for the government as he is an unpaid tax collector.

with the £100 left he pays £20 tax leaving £80 and anything he buys will have VAT at 20% so another £16

so he has £64 buying power left.

so he says fck it Im going to take my wife out for a meal with that.

His meal comes to £38 plus £7.60 vat.

Now the guy who owns the cafe has £45.60 £7,60 he has to pass to the government as a unpaid tax collector leaving him with
£38, he has to pay £7 in tax prorata so he has £31 left.

he says I will buy my son a game with that he gets the game it came to £30, we ll the game was actually £24 but the tax man took 20%.

Fruit machines (one arm bandits used to be run by the mafia and taxation is no different.

On all Fruit machines is has a big sticker (check) it says payout 76.9% by law guaranteed.

But thats not true is is, its a con.

You start with £100 and play and at the end of it you have £77 it paid out.
Then you play with the £77 and guess what it pays out yip 77% so it has took approx another £17, £17.71 to be exact.

So you play with your £60 and guess what they take £13.

So you have put your money through the machine 3 times and you have less than half left, despite it saying payout 79%.

This is how the tax system works, they are taking all our money, I reckon the tax could be as high as 90% if everything was taken into account.

They say we are in debt to the tune of Trillions of ££s, I think its all lies an impossible as they take it all back in tax.

I see complaints of people on benefit smoking. why if the get £74 a week and smoke a packet a day then the Government is getting back half instantly £35 in tax so the benefit is only worth £39 which they will pay 20% tax on any purchase.

So now its only worth £31,

Again I will say they are taking in excess of 60% tax and kids are going to their beds hungry and kids are having to take out loans for education.

If you support this set up you must be that brainwashed or just half daft as well.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Its late and I'm too tired to read the entire thread at the moment but I feel I must add my input as I am one of those affected by this cruelty by IDS and his scumbag mates.

Is it a tax? No, but it might as well be!
I asked for a tranfer two years before this evil was ever enforced, and I'm still living in the same house!!!
I bid on smaller properties but I am never offered anything!
I was nearly 1k in debt before the council fessed up and told me I could get help! I was losing £25 per week bcause of this evil!
In the house of lords it was announced that they only have 5% of the smaller homes needed to cope.

This is nothing todo with freeing up needed homes for those that need them. What it is about is this. They want people to BUY their homes, but those like me will never be able to afford them, and the ONLY way they can get people like me out is through eviction for non payment.

If ever there was a terrorism in this country, what IDS has done must surely fit! He should be locked up!

I can see there's people in this thread trying to explain it all away, to you I say this - They wont stop with us, soon it'll be YOUR turn!

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

Just reading your post proves its a 'myth' that people put by for a rainy day and managed

without benefits. You said "We all had to pay in because the minority had no family"

That's hardly applicable these days when a majority have many, with not too many

responsible fathers around.

Personal budgeting

At a 60% tax rate your £300 wage would leave you £120 and not £350

30% would leave you with £220

# As I don't smoke (a) I can't afford to, (b) Health reasons, I would become a

burden on the NHS. (which I don't have to use just because I have already paid into it)

# I did my sums when I first started earning and over my life time the cost of said

cigarettes has in all probability paid for my home!

# If I then buy a bottle of spirits to drown my sorrows, tomorrow I will still have

those same sorrows but be £20 down... Now I still have that £20 which over a year

becomes £1040, and over 10 years £10,400 ... handy little sum??

# £3 per week for road tax?? well roads need upkeep? less than a packet of fags?

priorities? Your driving if you who spend ? on cigarettes and you object to

the £3 take a bus, a train, cycle walk ....

# Shop around for your insurance, there's a difference of about £400 between

the highest and lowest of mine

# Funny you mentioning a plumber - just had one two days ago cost me £16 for

the part and £24 for the labour

# £45 60. for a meal for two ... Would this be a 'special occasion?' Many

pizzerias around my area are much more reasonable, and also do 'early bird'

specials .... or there's takeaways?

And anyway why are you so concerned with the tax affairs of the plumber or

restaurant owner that's their problem surely, their contribution to the

tax pot.

Any gambler is a mug, the only winners are the casinos/bookmakers you

should only ever gamble what you are prepared to loose ... most winners

put it straight back into the bookies pocket.

Bottom line nobody can take out more than is put in anywhere.

edit on 18-1-2014 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
R.I.P. grand mother. I commend you on your courage and conviction. and for the "honorable" creatures that made the law, and probably, well i'm sure, absolutlely could care less? karma. it's in your future, and it's probably not going to be very nice.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

eletheia
reply to post by pavmas

Just reading your post proves its a 'myth' that people put by for a rainy day and managed

without benefits. You said "We all had to pay in because the minority had no family"

That's hardly applicable these days when a majority have many, with not too many

responsible fathers around.

Personal budgeting

At a 60% tax rate your £300 wage would leave you £120 and not £350

30% would leave you with £220

# As I don't smoke (a) I can't afford to, (b) Health reasons, I would become a

burden on the NHS. (which I don't have to use just because I have already paid into it)

# I did my sums when I first started earning and over my life time the cost of said

cigarettes has in all probability paid for my home!

# If I then buy a bottle of spirits to drown my sorrows, tomorrow I will still have

those same sorrows but be £20 down... Now I still have that £20 which over a year

becomes £1040, and over 10 years £10,400 ... handy little sum??

# £3 per week for road tax?? well roads need upkeep? less than a packet of fags?

priorities? Your driving if you who spend ? on cigarettes and you object to

the £3 take a bus, a train, cycle walk ....

# Shop around for your insurance, there's a difference of about £400 between

the highest and lowest of mine

# Funny you mentioning a plumber - just had one two days ago cost me £16 for

the part and £24 for the labour

# £45 60. for a meal for two ... Would this be a 'special occasion?' Many

pizzerias around my area are much more reasonable, and also do 'early bird'

specials .... or there's takeaways?

And anyway why are you so concerned with the tax affairs of the plumber or

restaurant owner that's their problem surely, their contribution to the

tax pot.

Any gambler is a mug, the only winners are the casinos/bookmakers you

should only ever gamble what you are prepared to loose ... most winners

put it straight back into the bookies pocket.

Bottom line nobody can take out more than is put in anywhere.

edit on 18-1-2014 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

You are on a different planet mate, shop around for insurance ? regardless who you get it off you still pay the £10 policy tax.
you dont smoke because you cant afford to ? why would that be,

So rather than take you wife for a meal you would get her a cheap pizza,

Regardless of what you would do with your money you will stiill pay the same tax.

Tax on heating, I suppose you cant afford the green tax and the 5% vat on that to heat your home, I know many people who cant,

Now you want people to take a bus or train because its to expensive to drive, go bare foot if shoes are to expensive as well.

My purpose was to show the amount of tax we pay, people were better off before the government started taxing everything, tax used to only be raised for war.

look up history.

A miner in Wales could have 7 kids his wife at home baking, cleaning the house taking care of the kids. he would come home smoke his pipe at the roaring fire and then go down the pub for a few pints, his wife would still be able to put a few pennies by in a jar for emergencies.

One man keeping his family on one wage ( this was seen as poor in the 1800s)

Now a days we have 2 people working and they cant manage to live, you cant afford to smoke, but a miner could stand at his fire and smoke his pipe, think about that.

Why you are trying to justify the state of affairs i dont know,
you said gambling is a mugs game, the bigger mug is the people that bail them out and give them more to do the same.

So when you go for your cheap pizza and sitting on the bus remember why you cant go for a meal or drive, because the bankers gambled all your money away trying to make large quick profits, and we bailed them out, at the expense of the rest of us and they are doing the same again gambling on futures

You are either one of them or just to brain washed to get it.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

VoidHawk
Its late and I'm too tired to read the entire thread at the moment but I feel I must add my input as I am one of those affected by this cruelty by IDS and his scumbag mates.

Is it a tax? No, but it might as well be!
I asked for a tranfer two years before this evil was ever enforced, and I'm still living in the same house!!!
I bid on smaller properties but I am never offered anything!
I was nearly 1k in debt before the council fessed up and told me I could get help! I was losing £25 per week bcause of this evil!
In the house of lords it was announced that they only have 5% of the smaller homes needed to cope.

This is nothing todo with freeing up needed homes for those that need them. What it is about is this. They want people to BUY their homes, but those like me will never be able to afford them, and the ONLY way they can get people like me out is through eviction for non payment.

If ever there was a terrorism in this country, what IDS has done must surely fit! He should be locked up!

I can see there's people in this thread trying to explain it all away, to you I say this - They wont stop with us, soon it'll be YOUR turn!

Sorry to hear that Mate, most disabled are told to avoid stress at all costs, myself I was told that being type 1 diabetic that I must avoid stress as I am high risk of stroke or heart attack.

So why would a government put added stress on people with Atos, stopping benefits etc, to cause stress.

We are like a herd of deer they just want to cull the weak and the injured to keep the herd strong,

Hitler did the same, look at the posters from 1933 in Nazi Germany the asre the same being used now against the disabled and unemployed.

The fact that thousands of OAPs die each year in the UK due to energy poverty should say it all, when your working life is over you are no use to them anymore.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

pavmas
reply to post by eletheia

You drive home in your car that you paid £600 Vat on and had to pay approx £3 a week in road tax.

Road tax? Is this a new tax I've not heard about? Must be.

The fact that you call it "Road Tax" shows how ill informed that your post is.

Vehicle excise duty (aka, the 'road tax'), introduced in 1888 to help pay for the upkeep of the British roads, stopped being a 'road tax' in 1937, when the upkeep of British roads was merged into the general taxation budget. The so called 'road tax' hasn't been a tax to support the roads since 1937. It is a simple tax on the privilege of owning a motor vehicle, and goes into the general taxation income budget. Thats why its called vehicle excise duty (VED), and not 'road tax'.

Source Wikipedia, and legislation.gov.uk

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

Mate Im not talking about individual tax, im saying that all taxes combined are robbing people, the amoun t of tax the working man pay is a disgrace.

We were and oil rich nation and it belonged to all of us, Maggie T refused to raise the tax on it All she had to do was raise the tax by 0.7 of a penny and we would have the same surplus as Denmark but she kept on lowering it.

Now we have Cameron talking about lowering tax for Fracking to encourage companies to get it out of the ground, these companies dont need any encouragment.

This is a fact, if wage for the poor were raised at the same rate as income for the rich the min wage would be £24.75 an hour but its £6.31 and they talk about raising it to £7.

I was earning in 1977 what people are getting today as a normal wage.

We were an oil rich nation and pensions dying because the cant afford heating, kids having to take out loans for education so they are up to their eyeballs in debt before they even start working.

The whole of British finances have been miss managed.

They are cutting billions of £££s from the needy while letting companies off with hundreds of millions of ££s in tax.

They found £4 billion in an account that they never new they had last year.

They sold the Post Office a post office that we all paid taxes to maintain for half the value, but put a min limit on the amount of share you could buy to £750, so thats 90% of the population barred from getting a share of something they paid for

But this all seem s fine by most in here.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This subject makes me really angry, people I know who have worked 2 or 3 jobs most of their lives to pay their mortgage can have as many bedrooms as they can afford, divorced people taking on a second mortgage take in lodgers to help pay for their home, why should someone who has worked their butt off all their life and taken on the responsibility of their own house, (buildings insurance, new boiler, roofing etc) fund a second bedroom for those who have been subsidized all their adult life by the higher rate tax payer?

benefits were put in place to ensure people had food, a safe dry room to sleep in and clothing. In my mind these items are human rights, we should all have them whatever our circumstances. benefits were not designed to give people spare bedrooms, tv, pc etc.

Clearly this "bedroom tax" was ill thought out, example being

a friend has 3 children, 2 boys and a girl. 3 bed house paid for by local authority and family income ESA (due to back injury that could be operated on privately but not funded by the NHS)

18 year old moved in with his nan, 17 year old went to stay for a break. My friend is legally responsible for providing accommodation for the 17 year old for the next year, according to social services. But while he is not resident with his mum, the extra payment is due, for her its just over £20 per week. She will really struggle to pay this, she desperately wants to work, but really is unfit to do so. She will move into a smaller property, but where does that leave her if her son decides to come home again?

She believes that over all the extra payment is totally fair, but the way it is implemented is awful.

We have lots of homeless people, sofa surfers etc. If you are expected to pay more than you can afford, take in a lodger, become a foster parent, this is what people with mortgages do when interest rates rise, or they need a new roof, boiler, windows, all those things that people renting don't stop to think about.

Once upon a time, the majority worked hard, they let rooms, took in laundry, sewing, I know someone in her 70s who when young, borrowed the money to build an ensuite bedroom extension so she could take in old people for respite care, or after operations, before they could live alone again. This is while she took in sewing, undertook more study, supported her husband in his career which entailed her attending all types of events and duties, leading eventually to the family being worth a lot of money, adult kids doing really well, she has had books published etc etc.

These people need to stop thinking that a 37 hour week on low wage is going to give them a financially secure future, I don't see why they should spend their lives doing jobs on lower wages, enjoying less work related responsibility and stress than home owners with careers, then expect people who worked such long hours they missed their childrens childhood to support those who didn't make that effort!

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Infinitis
reply to post by jude11

The government instituted a policy that makes it so if you have the misfortune of finding yourself unemployed and living in rented accommodation and need to claim welfare, you shouldn't be allowed to live in a home with extra bedrooms, without paying a tax for it.

Let me fix that for you..
This Government doesn't need to waste money on a PR Machine when it has people like yourself spinning their propaganda for free....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join