It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Third fo west coast Children have thyroid, growth issues since Fukushima

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

therealnews.com...

Scientists Link Spike in Thyroid Disease to Fukushima Disaster

Nuclear expert and researcher Joseph Mangano explains his research in connecting the increase of hypothyroidism in newborns on the West coast to the Fukushima nuclear disaster - December 23, 2013

Didn't know about this. Just stumbled upon it while trying to find any info connecting swallowing problems following Fukushima/radiation exposure.

I suppose the thyroid is just cm if not mm away from the pharynx or whatever part(s) of the throat are involved in swallowing, likely nerves & musles as well influenced by horomone levels, the thyroid in part itself responsible for making crucial hormones.

@ 1:11

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Shhhh...don't mention this to anyone...don't want the fruit and nut crowd to suddenly start rushing east....

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Definitely a big cover up in progress since the disaster.

Perhaps very low levels are and have been creeping in slowly.

Time is of the essence.

Evacuation is difficult.

"Acid" rain.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There is no way scientists could scientifically prove this in such a short period of time. We're touching, breathing, swimming, drinking and eating new forms of toxic substances every year. How could they isolate it so quickly?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Effected, Affected no the difference or do you know the difference.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
There could have been other reasons for this also. That was about the height of the time when they were pushing goitinerogenic foods as being good for people. This would cause problems with a fetus's thyroid. Half of the problem is that a lot of practices were started and promoted without examining everything. Hopefully the worst of this is over. The radioactive Iodine coupled with using these foods would make people iodine deficient when this happened.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I was going to post this some time ago but held back waiting for more evidence to come to light so I’m glad the OP brought this out. Some things don’t need a long period of study to make determinations. Here is an article I read that brought my attention to it back in April 2013.

www.washingtonsblog.com... yroid-problems.html

Study: 28% Increase In Thyroid Problems In Babies Born After Fukushima in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington
Posted on April 3, 2013 by WashingtonsBlog

Their new study – published in the Open Journal of Pediatrics – is entitled “Elevated airborne beta levels in Pacific/West Coast US States and trends in hypothyroidism among newborns after the Fukushima nuclear meltdown.”

Common Dreams notes:

[The study found that] children born in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington between one week and 16 weeks after the meltdown began are 28 percent more likely to suffer from congenital hypothyroidism (CH) than were kids born in those states during the same period one year earlier.

Earlier this year, the Fukushima Prefecture Health Management Survey found that more than 40 percent of the Japanese children studied showed evidence of thyroid abnormalities, which Wasserman says signifies a “horrifying plague.”

edit on 12-1-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

How exactly is:

(From your article, by the way)

we found a 26 percent increase in the rate of hypothyroidism

One third of all children?

From what I can see from the article, they are claiming a 26% increase in cases of hyperthyroidism....

And from the incidence rate...

Hypothyroidism results from reduced effects of thyroid hormone on tissues. Hypothyroidism is more common in women, has total prevalence of 1% to 2%,1 and increases with age (~10% adults >65 years). In the U.S. population, prevalence of biochemical hypothyroidism is 4.6%, but clinically evident hypothyroidism is present in 0.3%

www.clevelandclinicmeded.com...

That's hardly a third...

Secondly, Hyperthyroidism CAN be caused by consuming too much iodine.

Not radioactive iodine, mind you...

Just too much iodine.

Thirdly, none of your sources even comes CLOSE giving evidence for a link, to this "Increase in hyperthyroidism in newborns"

I watched both videos, the closest they came to actually TALKING about the supposed "Link" was the guy talking about fukushima, and then talking about hyperthyroidism...

No evidence at all.

So, your headline is fallacious and just plain exaturated.

The evidence is non-existant

The conclusions are sloppy at best...

And this whole thread should just feel really bad.
edit on E7Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:56:08 -060080America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago by ENrgLee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ENrgLee

Secondly, Hyperthyroidism CAN be caused by consuming too much iodine.

Not radioactive iodine, mind you...

Just too much iodine.

Now what event, could possibly cause californians to consume too much iodine?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm a idiot, sorry..LOL
edit on 13-1-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Wow, this nonsense is still going around????

The "third of all children" thing is a TOTAL FABRICATION.

The RATE of incidence increased by 26% (not even a third) which I would guesstimate is within normal deviation over a few years.

meaning the rate went from roughly 1% (0.0100) to a stunning 1.26% (0.0126)

COMPLETE NON-STORY HERE.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Wow, this nonsense is still going around????

The "third of all children" thing is a TOTAL FABRICATION.

The RATE of incidence increased by 26% (not even a third) which I would guesstimate is within normal deviation over a few years.

meaning the rate went from roughly 1% (0.0100) to a stunning 1.26% (0.0126)

COMPLETE NON-STORY HERE.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

StoutBroux
I was going to post this some time ago but held back waiting for more evidence to come to light so I’m glad the OP brought this out. Some things don’t need a long period of study to make determinations. Here is an article I read that brought my attention to it back in April 2013.

www.washingtonsblog.com... yroid-problems.html

Study: 28% Increase In Thyroid Problems In Babies Born After Fukushima in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington
Posted on April 3, 2013 by WashingtonsBlog

Their new study – published in the Open Journal of Pediatrics – is entitled “Elevated airborne beta levels in Pacific/West Coast US States and trends in hypothyroidism among newborns after the Fukushima nuclear meltdown.”

Common Dreams notes:

[The study found that] children born in Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington between one week and 16 weeks after the meltdown began are 28 percent more likely to suffer from congenital hypothyroidism (CH) than were kids born in those states during the same period one year earlier.

Earlier this year, the Fukushima Prefecture Health Management Survey found that more than 40 percent of the Japanese children studied showed evidence of thyroid abnormalities, which Wasserman says signifies a “horrifying plague.”

edit on 12-1-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

Whoever did this study needs to find a doctor congenital hypothyroidism is a genetic disorder it cannot be caused by radiation. this leads me to believe this study isnt from a reliable source. And just so you know every new born in the US has been tested for this since the 40s. And i looked on the AMA no mention of it but its tracked by them so they would be the first to know.Now babies can have them underdeveloped at birth but this problem can and does correct itself usually without medication. But trust me if they were exposed to radiation the thyroid wouldnt be the first area affected in a growing embryo. The other thing is a 25 percent increase would mean it affects 1 out of 3000 children and the increase means it would affect 1.25 out of 3000. Well within the margin of fluctuation.
edit on 1/14/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

top topics

join