It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They knew it all along: Shape and size of Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Utnapisjtim
That makes Kubus Kristi more or less precisely 1/21st the circumference of the Earth if we use Eratosthenes calculation of Earth's circumference.

That should actually read: "That makes Kubus Kristi precisely 1/21st the circumference of the Earth if we use Eratosthenes…"

Too late to edit the OP

edit on 10-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Typo

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Shiloh7
reply to post by Utnapisjtim

It surprises me that the New Jerusalem needs a wall 144 cubits thick. It hardly seems to be a free place to live with walls like that. Why is it supposed to need walls at all?

There are two reasons for a wall; to prevent someone from entering or to prevent someone from leaving. Take your pick.

...On a more serious note I believe that the entire New Jerusalem description is only meant to be symbolic and/or hidden knownledge (ie. occult) meant for the adept only.

edit on 10-1-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I agree, as with most institutions dumb ppl took over the early church and were not smart enough to understand the origins of their organization while they pursued power- still happens. so what?
edit on 10-1-2014 by sjorges2002 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The only way to see what shape the Earth is, is if it stops spinning.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Indeed

They calculated lots about Earth

from the Mars surface, that is.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

MerkabaMeditation
There are two reasons for a wall; to prevent someone from entering or to prevent someone from leaving. Take your pick.

There is also the need for hermetically sealing the whole city from it's hostile environment. There's no air 1000 miles above ground for instance. And given that the whole Earth will tilt because of the shape and mass of the Kubus, and leave this City on the dark side of the Earth constantly and the Moon's been used for building materials so not much movement in the oceans and the air, rendering the Earth half snowball, half volcanic harmagheddon-- climate change get's a new meaning all together. Earth will be uninhabitable so we're moving the world indoors. On the far side of the Kubus Kristi, half of the Earth will be scorged under the constant heat of the Sun, effectively turning it in to a lake of fire.

...On a more serious note I believe that the entire New Jerusalem description is only meant to be symbolic and/or hidden knownledge (ie. occult) meant for the adept only.

Jesus is not playing games. Satan is. Jesus was supposed to save the world. Kubus Kristi is the solution to that challenge.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
in the book, 'our ancient cosmic ancestors' ..tells of a 5-6000 yr old cuneiform tablet described the Period of Rotation of the Earth within 12,000,000th of a second. they used fractions,

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

maybe it was round when they measured it... actually what they did was measure the distance of an Arc on the earth and did the math. so it was round relative to where they were on the egg, but still relatively correct.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
In regards to a discription of a round earth a very long time ago ,I always found this passage written from the writings from The Book of Enoch , describing the earth as spherical ,.A pretty dead on description written long................ before the idea of a flat earth.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

It's a pretty good theory, two things to consider are the earth is not a perfect sphere and in addition if you take expanding earth theory into consideration, Eratosthenes of Cyrene may have actually been spot on (or very close) for the time 2000+ years ago. After all, 66km's in circumference is not a lot of potential error.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

After having done some more research into this it appears that the stadion is based on astronomical measures. The horizon has 360 arch degrees, and each degree equals 600 stadia, which inturn is divided into 600 feet. Also the Metre was originally intended to be 1/ten-millionth of the distance between the Equator and the North Pole at sea-level. That gives a proto-measure of the Earth circumference of 40,000 km.

Given this, the proto-measure of the Earth is found by:

600 stadia x 360 degrees = 216,000 stadia

In other words, the length of a stadion in meters can be found by dividing the circumference of Earth by 216,000:

40,000 km / 216,000 = 185.185185185 ≈ 185 m

This measure of roughly 185 meters for a stadion fits nicely with the various common Greek and Roman measurments. Also, according to this the Kubus Kristi measures 1/18th of 216,000, not 1/21th as Eratosthenes proposed and which was the origin of this thread alltogether.

So as for growing Earth goes, looks like the I have to redraw the drawing of the OP:

edit on 11-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: typo

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

There's an OT Scripture I'd have to look up . . . that mentions "above the circle of the earth" or something like that.

Your theory is quite plausible.

However, there's still, imho, some argument as to whether the New Jerusalem is a cube . . . which many scholars subscribe to given the Holy of Holies being a cube . . .

or

a pyramid.

A pyramid would also fit the dimensions given in Revelation.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'm glad there are posts such as this one. Gives all you people with brains a place to play. Myself, I'm clueless.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Where in revelation does it even imply that the length of new Jerusalem was meant to be 1/21 of the earths circumference?

You did check that eratosthenes was born almost 300 years before Christ, right? Therefore, by the time revelation was being written down, eratosthenes' work was already known by people. This fact negates any divine foreknowledge whatsoever.

And if god was omniscient why would it even be off by any bit?

Bunk!

edit on 12-1-2014 by reject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
A cube seems like a pretty inefficient shape in space. A cylinder or torus makes far more sense barring a massive technological breakthrough in creating gravity.
edit on 12-1-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

reject

Where in revelation does it even imply that the length of new Jerusalem was meant to be 1/21 of the earths circumference?

A stadion is defined as 1/216,000th of the Earth's circumference:

600 feet = 1 Stadion
600 stadion = 1 arch degree
216,000 stadia = 360 arch degrees
Kubus Kristi = 12,000 stadia

This gives the length of The New Jerusalem to be exactly 1/18th of the Earth's circumference.

However, like I mention in the OP, a Greek 2nd century BC geographer named Eratosthenes of Cyrene, used a different system of 700 stadia per arch minute, not 600, thus 12,000 stadia equals exactly 1/21th of the full circle of the Earth.

You did check that eratosthenes was born almost 300 years before Christ, right? Therefore, by the time revelation was being written down, eratosthenes' work was already known by people. This fact negates any divine foreknowledge whatsoever.

I never implied "divine foreknowledge" for the dimentions of Kubus Kristi, only that John knew the Earth was a globe unlike most people's faulty beliefs that the Bible says the Earth is flat.

And if god was omniscient why would it even be off by any bit?

It isn't off by even a millimeter! 12,000 stadia equals exactly 1/18th of the Earth's circumference (or 1/21th if we use Eratosthenes).
edit on 12-1-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: bad tag

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

BO XIAN

There's an OT Scripture I'd have to look up . . . that mentions "above the circle of the earth" or something like that.

My favorite is Job 26:7 "He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing."

Your theory is quite plausible.

However, there's still, imho, some argument as to whether the New Jerusalem is a cube . . . which many scholars subscribe to given the Holy of Holies being a cube . . .

or

a pyramid.

A pyramid would also fit the dimensions given in Revelation.

Revelation 21:16 "And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed , twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal."

I guess one could make a pyramid fit the numbers, but it would be a very steep pyramid indeed, and an unlikely design for a city IMO. Besides, with walls caving inwards at that angle, I would also suspect instability. This is why pyramids are mostly massive. The downward pressure on the walls are imense.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Your math is wrong a Stadium is 1/7 mile, 229.9 meters. this means we divide 12000 by 7 and we get 1714.28 miles and then we times that by21 we get 36000 miles for earths circumference .Problem is thats wrong the earth's circumference is 24,901miles.Meaning either god didnt know the answer or your theory is wrong pick one.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join