It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Return of the Garbage Pail Kids

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Garbage Pail Kids
Do you guys remember these wacky trading cards?
I sure do. I never had any as a kid but then we saw them at the store one day and my 8year old boy thought they were awesome, so we started collecting them for fun. Here's my boys stack of cards.

The trading cards started being sold in 1985. They were like a spoof of Cabbage Patch Kids dolls. The pictures on these cards are pretty out there. Some show ill fates, while others can just be plain gross, then there are some that are silly.
I read some info here ~~>>en.wikipedia.org...
There's not much more info out there than that really. I did just google search so I could be wrong.

They even did a movie about the GPK in 1987. If you haven't seen it and you are really bored, then I would recommend watching it. Me and my boy watched it not too long ago actually. It's a classic late '80's film. Here's the movie poster ~~>>
and a picture from a scene in the movie

Topps is the company that produces GPK and they have been releasing new sets and flashback sets. They began doing so in 2003. I got my info from a site that sells the cards and I wasn't sure if I am allowed to link a website that sells things.

They have a new chrome series which aren't stickers and look like this...
It's pretty neat.
and on the back of this card is this statement
On another card the back of it looks like this
I find this to be so fun and interesting! Now some cards have a picture on the back of them and it's like a puzzle you put together for a new card. This takes nine cards to complete a puzzle.. We don't have a full complete puzzle yet.

These are called minikins.
They are kinda squishy and we only have two.
I have my own character of a GPK. Hehe

Nat Nerd
aww I'm so adorable

There ya have it. Garbage Pail Kids are fun and have been around for almost 30 years!! That's really cool to me. I find them to be funny and entertaining. I hope you do as well. I don't want to offend anyone with the grossness of some of them.

Do you have a Garbage Pail Kid with your name? If ya do and want to post, I sure think it would be kinda fun

If not enjoy this thread and have a wonderful day.
Peace and love to you all ~>>
-nat the blue eyed cat-

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Well I never actually heard of these. I have heard of cabbage patch kids dolls. We used to call one of my friends cabbage patch kid because he had a big head!! (he still has)..Lol and I like the license..Only 6? ......They are gross looking things but better looking than some of rubbish what's out today. I love her nat need card....Thanks for posting this as its new to me...Where have I been hiding all these years?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The old ones are worth some money and often appear on them PAWN shows.
I think this rerelease is possibly motivated by that.
I remember them, they were cool, the dark version cabbage patch dolls.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
geepeekay have them.
look it up if you ain't seen it they have most if not all the cards to buy & you can browse through the collections.
GPK movie was so stupid back then and its even worst now.. the cards was a fun fad in the 80's school grounds. until mexico 86 world cup stickers was the THING!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

So funny, I picked a couple of packs up either last year or the year before. I have two young boys and for some reason they are of no interest. Obviously for the purpose of nostalgia I purchased them with the excuse that they would be for my boys.

I remember getting these in the 80's and I had my desk at home covered with them and some other stickers that had animals racing in the pictures but similar to the garbage pail kids.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Thanks for the heads up on the new series, I don't have to ask my parents for money to get em now

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Haha! That's awesome me and my brother had a lot of these cards when we were growing up, not sure what happened to them since ( probably stuck a few of them in our bike wheels for the motorcycle sound ), but pretty funny cards from what I remembered.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

hey natalia, you've got pm

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I had no idea these were back!

I had a giant stack of them when i was a kid. I kept them in a Strawberry Shortcake Tin. (What can I say? I was part girly-girl and part tom-boy.) I thought they were so funny, and some of them were just super creepy. Adam Bomb, Meltin' Milton, Nasty Nick... I remember them like old friends. Creepy 2-dimentional old friends.

I wonder if that strawberry shortcake tin is still stashed away somewhere in my parent's basement... My own kids might find them as funny and creepy as I did.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Well i like this one..
.......And I like this one.......
.......But this one is more like it.....
....I would love to be filling those bottles

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

No way!!

Haha. We had these. My grandmother worked for some distributing company that dealt with candy and trading cards like this. I know at one time she had the entire collection still in boxes unopened as well as all Topps baseball cards unopened in their box. I am not sure if she still has the collection or not.

I had some Garbage Pail Kids! Oh what memories. lol

See the 80s were just so cool everything is being brought back

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I remember these! My younger sister loved them and she loved the movie. I remember that they stopped distributing them after the Cabbage Patch Kids company raised a big stink and sued them for infringement.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Whoa..That brings back some memories from my kid yrs in the 80's..I remember having series 2-8 until my mom's boyfriends son stole most of them,along with my Mad/Cracked Mag collection.Heh,heh I was in a bummer for weeks.Anyway I only have a handfull left from then,and I've kept this photo scanned copy of the orig in my wallet for 15 yrs,and counting..

edit on 10-1-2014 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2014 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
In 1985 my father was a salesman for Rio Grande Clothiers. Small business, likely long gone from the Earth. But he drove a 5 week circuit delivering cowboy type clothing, and some low cost/budget stuff like polo shirts, etc. If there is a small town in West Texas, N. Mexico, or Arizona that had the word "Mercantile" in their name, he likely sold clothes to them. I would go on that circuit with him for one 5 week rotation each summer. And he bought me lots and lots of GPK cards.

Oh the memory....horrible gum, cool cards. Around the same time the "Hiney Winery" gag was circulating, too. Here is a link to some of that stuff:

hineywinery.com...

We would laugh like morose children while listening to those ads. In between lots and lots of Patsy Cline and Jim Reeve's.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Hey guys!! Thanks for taking a trip with me down memory lane.

Doc- those pics are great!! Hahaha! We have that ashcan Andy card and it's a chrome card. Thanks a lot for posting your cards with your name!! Totally awesome dude

Bigfatfurrytexan- I watched the commercial for the hiney wine.. That's pretty funny

Greydaze- nice!! We have that card hippie skippy
and what's funny is my son was looking with me at what people had posted and he said 'oh look a Beatles album' ...and lo and behold sure was. Is that what that sticker is on? The strawberry fields album?

Now I forgot to mention that the new cards even have some comics on the back of them

And they even do political ones...

^^that card is ours. Heh. I think it's funny and great and like totally radical man

I was hoping more people would post their name along with a card, but not all names are out there I know. My son doesn't have one. Maybe one day there will be

Have a great day all!!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
@ Natalia,That's not a sticker,it's a scanned copy cut out I keep in my wallet.Heh,No that's not a Beatles album,it's a band called Fields..They only had one album in 1969,and they sound like the band Cream.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

greydaze
@ Natalia,That's not a sticker,it's a scanned copy cut out I keep in my wallet.Heh,No that's not a Beatles album,it's a band called Fields..They only had one album in 1969,and they sound like the band Cream.

Aha!! I see thanks for explaining

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
No, I've never seen those, and I'm older than you.

But, I'll be keeping an eye out now that they are worth money!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Oh wow. I used to love those cards. I had a bunch but they eventually got stuck in a garage and then damaged during a move. :/ I only had one of the originals left (Dissect Ed, which was the holy grail where I lived).

I remember a bout 7-8 years ago they started putting out some new ones, too, and I bought a few packs, but they never seemed as good.

I'll definitely have to look around for the newer ones.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I used to collect those and these horror movie trading cards. I really get sad thinking about how I lost so much stuff I had as a kid and never really took care of. I also liked the movie as a kid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join