It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange The Pope visits Nativity reenactment with a goat on his shoulders?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Pope visits Nativity re-enactment with a goat on his shoulders? I did some Google searching for differ between goats and lambs but IMO its a goat. I'm not that great with bible teachings but I'm Christian and I know that a lamb isn't a goat. But to my surprise I see the pope with a goat on is shoulders. And thought that he made a mistake seeing the goat for a lamb? because I think symbolically a goat means something satanic if Im not mistaken?So I looked it up and this is what I could find..

Baphomet, the symbol of the satanic goat, usually portrayed as a half human, half goat figure, or a goat head. It is often misinterpreted as a symbol of witch-craft in general. It is used by Satanists, but is not used by neo-pagan witches who do not worship the devil.

The independent

I really don't know how I should interpreted this. one could see it as an insult for Christians? so maybe others have something to say about this?
edit on 0b16America/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:10:16 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:10:16 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 0b22America/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:24:22 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:24:22 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

This is to symbolize that he is a Shepard bringing back a lost sheep, this is fairly clear from a Christian view point although I have gone past that by a ways.....

I don't think it is sinister, just a symbolism of returning a sheep to the herd which is what the churches attain to in witnessing etc.

Francis would like to be portrayed as a simple shepherd.

That's my take anyway, that or he brings the sacrifice which is the same symbology.

Cheers.

edit on 7-1-2014 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Treespeaker

But then using a goat , I mean Isn't that wrong why did they not use a real lamb?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

That's a lamb.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

No this is a lamb and has curly fur and no horns..

edit on 0b56America/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:30:56 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:30:56 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Not all lamb have curly hair depending on age and upkeep. Both sheep and goats have horns.

Goats tend to have longer floppier ears however.

Here's a sheep 101 website since you don't know the basics.

www.sheep101.info...
edit on 7-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Maybe your right.. I don't know , maybe they run out of real lambs..

link   
Sometimes a goat is just a goat. At other times it is Pan, the god of eros, fertility, and nature. Sometimes it is just a goat again.

And what a radiant smile Francis has! I'm very glad that other guy decided to retire to the Poconos or wherever he is.

link   

0bserver1
reply to post by OrphanApology

No this is a lamb and has curly fur and no horns..

edit on 0b56America/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:30:56 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:30:56 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

Sheep can have horns. www.sheep101.info...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Here's a picture of a scraggly little lamb:

Goats have floppy ears.

edit on 7-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

No It's not that I don't like the Pope because it's a very kind person who does great things at the moment. But the ones who used the goat clearly didn't think that a goat has this strange symbolic meaning ..

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

It's a lamb and it's straight out of the Catholic Nativity that a lot of us had in our homes growing up. In addition to Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus and the critters .. there was an angel over the crib AND a shepherd boy with a lamb over his shoulders ... exactly the way the pope is carrying the lamb in the picture.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Hmmm okay maybe I was mistaken and have to do more research into the difference between goats and sheep lol

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Yeah for a moment it scared the @!#$ out of me.. phew but that's why I have you guys to fill me in ..

Okay my worries are over .. nothing to see anymore it's now officially labeled as ..

edit on 0b07America/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:44:07 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:44:07 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

0bserver1

No It's not that I don't like the Pope because it's a very kind person who does great things at the moment. But the ones who used the goat clearly didn't think that a goat has this strange symbolic meaning ..

Hi, and I didn't think you didn't like him - how can anyone not like this new Pope. By the way, nice avatar!

I think the goat symbolism started with Pan, a very popular fellow who early Christians had to turn into a bad guy named Satan, and goats went along for the ride.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Thanks Aleister sometimes you have to learn some things that you don't know..

Ohw my avatar you like it? made it for someone who's a photographer and wanted his photo's SF tinted .. So I grabbed a piece of it and made it my avatar..
edit on 0b34America/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:51:34 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 07 Jan 2014 16:51:34 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Well, Francis' namesake was St. Francis of Assisi to boot and he's sometimes depicted in art in the company of a lamb as well so it works double time. I actually think that's a really cute picture.

And definitely a baby lamb. I actually spent a good deal of time around baby lambs while on the Navajo rez as sometimes their mommas wouldn't acknowledge them and they would require bottle feeding. Not a goat.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Although we've all agreed that it's a lamb on his shoulders, it's kind of sad that goats have been demonized.

Pygmy goats are especially cute.....

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The symbol that you think you see, doesn't exist.

God created both goat, and sheep. Demons with goat like limbs and wicked glim in its eyes.
These are imaginary creations of human fantasy. Just like mermaids. or a minotaur.

It's sad that you so easily freak the bashingas, from a little cuddly sweet soft baby animal.
Almost any other reaction, would be the urge to hold it, and cuddle.

Now... Go grow a pair. You will experience much scarier things during life. It doesn't look good for you, with this attitude, but you can still find courage, and overcome your fear.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Well I am an atheist and I prefer goats to sheep as they will eat anything and require little upkeep.

They are also lovable in their own way and become attached to you as an owner.

Sheep require lots of land because they are grazers.

Goats on the other hand would eat your house if it tasted good.

I like both of them and love goat milk and cheese.

I never understand religions taking creatures and turning them into evil symbols. All life on earth just wants to thrive. Makes no sense to me.

<<   2 >>

join