It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jacob Applebaum breaks down the Snowden Material at 30C3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

whew - um yeah it is really bad - multi-faceted - global - unavoidable - dominating - maximum pwnage

I understood about 90% of it because I only understand high end networking conceptually at best - while the firmware, hardware, and software bits I understand - even though after 15 minutes of listening I just couldn't absorb and store anymore - it is overwhelming and there is so much of it

this lecture is beyond informative - it is reference material to return to over and over while trying to wrap your mind around it all - you wont find this info among MSM talking points - it is now clear MSM purposely minimized, even sanitized the Snowden material - Snowden and Assange gain some credibility as well through this release of info, unless Applebaum is in on some global psyop too, which really wouldn't matter in this case

it is far from being fiction or even disinfo because if the NSA hasn't been doing this, they surely will be after seeing this video - it is all easy to accomplish tech-wise currently, and a trip to Radio Shack could produce a considerable amount of the required hardware materials - the software could be written with ease, even by CGI, the creators of the Obamacare website - flashing firmware is a simple process - the wireless and network capabilities existed in the public domain more than a decade ago at least - extreme hacking just requires overcoming the learning curve

dayum the only way to fix it would be to replace every device (perhaps every complex electronic circuit board too) that creates or facilitates any type of digital information in the WORLD all at the same time with only a minute (or less) margin of error - an enormous list which includes every USB flash drive on the planet or any car with a computer chip in it for that matter - even then, it would only set things back a relatively short period of time anyway before it became ubiquitous again - and not only by the NSA

so there is like zero chance of undoing it

who is Jacob Applebaum? - from Wiki

Jacob Appelbaum is an independent computer security researcher and hacker. He was employed by the University of Washington,[1] and is a core member of the Tor project. Appelbaum is known for representing Wikileaks at the 2010 HOPE conference.[5] He has subsequently been repeatedly targeted by US law enforcement agencies, who obtained a court order for his Twitter account data, detained him 12[6] times at the US border after trips abroad, and seized a laptop and several mobile phones.

Appelbaum, under the handle "ioerror", has been an active member of the Cult of the Dead Cow hacker collective since 2008,[7] and is the co-founder of the San Francisco hackerspace Noisebridge with Mitch Altman. He has worked for Kink.com,[8] Greenpeace[9] and has volunteered for the Ruckus Society and the Rainforest Action Network.[10] He is also an ambassador for the art group monochrom.[11]

As a trusted confidant of the former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, Appelbaum was among several people who gained access to Snowden's top secret documents that were released during the 2013 global surveillance disclosure.[12]

betcha he is a gamer too
edit on 6/1/2014 by _Heretic because: grammar

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I wonder if they have access to luggage at the airports? Since whenever you pre-book for a flight they would know you are coming and would have plenty of time to black bag your electronics. And if they needed more time, well maybe that's why so much luggage ends up on the next flight or wrong flight. The TSA probably gets off on letting them do it.

edit on 6-1-2014 by dainoyfb because: I felt like it.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by _Heretic

"Wrist-slittingly depressing."

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   

_Heretic
betcha he is a gamer too
edit on 6/1/2014 by _Heretic because: grammar

LOL You got that vibe too huh,what tipped You off? His liberal use of Pwned,Owned,Epic Fail,Ect throughout the video? Or is It his attire?

On a serious note though saw this when it was released on dec 30th. a well put together presentation and very worrying... can't say I didn't suspect most of this was happening but there was a few surprises to the extent of it's scope

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

according to these revelations - they could do it from the airport parking lot, without ever touching your luggage, including covertly conscripting your phone/laptop to do the same to everyone else on your flight autonomously

reply to post by SynchronousSnake

no one gets to those levels of computer savvy without being at least an intermediate gamer - games are always at the frontier of the (civilian) computing world IMHO

kind of like how pron and the sex industry push the envelopes of the android and artificial intelligence frontier - even though no one really wants to acknowledge it

we are a funny lot, us humans - we take ourselves way too seriously

LOL

on another note - after viewing the Applebaum revelations - then watching this:

well it just makes me grind my teeth

edit on 7/1/2014 by _Heretic because: just to piss you off

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Wonderfully informative. I was (or might as well have been) that one guy who kept raising his hand until the end. I chalk it up to a combination of paranoid cynicism with a smidgen of brilliance, perhaps.

Just by way of confirmation of one of the exploits discussed in this video, I detected a successful root shell execution on my laptop, apparently by a manned or unmanned aircraft passing overhead, whilst using OpenBSD 4.x, in 2011.

After watching this video, I have to admit, I don't know if the breach was due to a door in OpenBSD, a compromised firmware on my laptop, or (heaven forbid) an 'interdicted' hardware implant. Whatever it was, it occurred in a very remote area in upstate New York, where military aircraft flyovers are a highly regular occurrence, and wireless networks (with the exception of my neighbor's router) were totallly absent. Moreover, from the window where I sat, I observed the craft flying directly, at a low rate of speed at approximately 2,000 ft altitude, within seconds of detecting an exploit. Much to my amazement, I was tempted conclude that the exploit was executed via the plane -- since nothing like it had every happened via the wireless network before. It was 2:00 in the morning or thereabouts.

It is perhaps significant that the wireless router I was connected to was connected to the internet via a 3G wireless modem using Verizon's network, the nearest tower being two or three miles away, in Otsego Cty. New York.

If the NSA's packet-injecting laptop can be used up to eight miles away, well then, why not via plane from 2'000 feet? Especially if there is a wired network connection nearby (whereby malware could be quickly downloaded, once a root sheel was gained), this would be an excellent way to own someone's laptop -- permanently, that is, should they fail to notice or reinstall their OS frequently.

Personally I've all but given up fighting it. Recently my machine was hacked while running Debian's latest live CD with LXDE. Someone mounted a spare hard drive partition (which the Live CD does not do on its own) and browsed a folder labeled "Downloads". I do not think it was the RIAA!

Incidentally I detected the aforementioned root-shell exploit when my internet connection seemed to fail, and a Mozilla browser running Yahoo! mail w/ Javascript crashed. I switched to a VT, logged in as a regular user and with the 'w' command found a root user logged in at the '?' TTY. This tends to confirm what Jacob implies in the video -- that Yahoo is lame-ass, security-wise.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Thank you OP for this video. I knew it was bad but being out of the computer trade now 10 years I did not know how far "TPTB" have gone to....

I recommend every member who read this to capture this uTube and email it to all like minded people they know... I have done this.... In fact I am surprised that uTube is still hosting this video....

Wish I could give you 20 flags to bump this and 50 stars as this is the most important thing on ATS I have seen..... In the past there was facepalming, Laughing out loud, steam whistle like the ones on Road Runner cartoons going off and now theres Wrist slashing consideration.... I got on the Internet 1993 and cannot believe this.... This now surpasses my flying from Heathrow to Edmundon Canada (SFO was destination) force landed on a county airport with one meter of runway left as it was designed for small craft not a 777 and yes we assumed the crash position. Then we had to stand in line and was complete searched - 3 hours..... 3 days later we flew back to Heathrow..... as a total shock to my system.... Very upset.... Worked for many many trade companies as an independent that were listed by Jacob.... I know its not my fault but everyone working for the Trade in a way is responsible. When I started out in 1986 the governments of the world did not care about the PC..... Look at those bastards now....

Any wonder why they are after our guns in the US?

S n F as that is all I can give sorry
edit on 1/7/2014 by IceHappy because: grammer as per usual....

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Aqualung2012

well put…I completely agree!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

howmuch4another

Aqualung2012

well put…I completely agree!

Thank you, however that's a quote from the video itself

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
thanks for the in depth info share, judging by the amount of stars flags vs comments, we are left speechless for the most part, especially the last 15 minutes with the mention of controls to physically harm targeted users, that's just mind boggling.

anyhow I was browsing cnet news and came across this as RSA corp was mentioned in the presentation selling out to nsa.

RSA Conference speakers begin to bail, thanks to NSA
edit on 1/7/2014 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
With as scary as the stuff revealed here is, it would have been better timed coming out around Halloween. These programs are unbelievable, just watching that video made me feel violated. Among all the constitutional issues, programs like these are going to utterly destroy the American tech industry. Other countries will not subject themselves to using hardware or software with built in government backdoors.

The hard drive hack is especially worrying. Not only does that one give them access to all of your data, but combined with the wifi hacks, provides proof that they can put any evidence they want on your computer, in order to arrest you.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

top topics

join