It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finished Another Weld Test Today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Here I am again, been here for awhile now actually, scrounging to find work. Been laid off since before Thanksgiving, apparently I missed making a "quarter" for unemployment by a week so been going with one meal a day for the better portion of almost a month. I applied for a new job almost immediately after getting laid off, actually probably close to 18 jobs or more since then. Well one of the companies called me last Thursday and asked me to come in and take a weld test doing some stainless steel TIG on some pipe and a few plate joints. I don't know if I am hired or not, been a nervous wreck for so long and didn't really realize how bad its been getting until today. I am not usually a defeatist but I have to admit that while taking the written test I couldn't even think straight because I knew whats at stake, my welds looked good the inspector was happy with them but now I can't even shake the feeling of that sinking in of your gut when now not only was the near future uncertain but now it is uncertain and more complex wondering if I am hired or not. The last place I worked for was a pretty grimy outfit decided to bone me on my state taxes so they could collect per diem on me and not pay it out to me as I lived 15 miles from the site they listed me as a Florida resident and direct deposited my money to a bank I didn't want all the while making it difficult for me to view a pay stub and left me in a hard way. All I keep thinking is I don't want to be homeless again, I have already sold most everything of value just to buy gas to go places to fill out applications, buy food when I need it. I'm tired of being laid off every three months then getting hired back for a week just to get laid off so then unemployment will tell you to eat it. I'm so incredibly tired of feeling like since I been home from the service that my life is amounting to nothing, I don't even know how I am going to pay bills this month even if I get hired here. Sadly yet I'm not sure what I can do to even get the money at this point to even drive to work if I get hired because I know even then it is going to take me 3 weeks till my first pay. I'm tired of getting boned by grimy companies, tired of feeling so damn worthless all the time and don't want to go back to the way it was when I first came home, cold and homeless all winter long. I feel defeated, almost everything I worked for I had to pretty much part with and it still got me no where, damned if you do damned if you don't. I hope other members are not off on a hard way but if they are we got to try to hang on!

B-Man

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hang in there Bro. My advice would be to find the local sheet metal workers union hall. Call and ask when they are taking apprentices. If the guy has the time to actually speak with you you could mention your welding skills. Seems they always needing tig welders.
Also try the plumbers and pipe fitters. they hire lots of tig welders.

if they are in need of welders they may even offer to sell you your card. maybe not an option for you now, but deals can be made to pay it off.

Every local is different, but with mine they have 48 hours to pay after the end of the pay period. so normally just over a week of work and paid. not 3 weeks.

And messing with your money like you stated, not gonna happen.
Its no get rich quick scheme and not always work available. Just an option to consider

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

I was looking for work for 5 months before I got the job I have. I was evicted from my apartment because I couldn't pay rent and ended up sleeping in the park for a few days before a friend said I should stay at her apartment.

I thought all hope was lost when I got the job I have now...

it was cool because my boss is also my landlord as he owns property so my apartment is part of my pay package. He hired me and I moved in the next day...then started work the day after.

What I have found in life, is that whenever it seems the most hopeless, that is when good things begin to happen!

Never loose hope, and don't quit trying!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

They don't have any books for apprenticeships and the pipe union isn't taking them again until 2015, where I live it is scarce for work. If it were that simple here I wouldn't be in this situation, truth is if I want work I got to travel, the place I tested at today was 32.8 miles from home. But thank you for the advice and the support bro, I mean it!
edit on 6-1-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

I'm trying bro, I'm not a quitter but my resourcefulness is coming to a grinding halt as I'm about out of resources. I hate feeling like this, I haven't been happy since I can't even remember, I was shocked to probably feel like a crack head so nervous I was shaking during a written test and I couldn't even help it. It isn't healthy more then likely. But thanks for listening and for the support bro, I hope you don't end up back in the gutter either cause I know I hated it there, being 28 in America sucks. I went from being angry feeling like everyone while through school and all the adults saying how much opportunity there is, and then how I'll be successful after the Marine Corps etc. to becoming a nervous wreck that damn near couldn't even take a simple written test and shaking so damn bad being so stressed out about it.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Well hang in there Brother.
I for one know that if you can weld other than mild steel, IE stainless, aluminum Etc. you are more than just a weekend warrior.
And that takes some bit of knowledge.
Unfortunately, many things now are made disposable, hell even marriages are viewed as such...
And the things that are manufactured are generally done mostly by robots.
This puts us hands on types in a bad spot.
This is just one of many reasons I became a plumber back when, a robot can't do it nor an idiot effectively.
And I'm not afraid of a little crap on my hands, as long as the client paid for my laughing at their weak knees and stomachs.

After the economy fails, guys like us will be back in demand I think, too bad I'm fat, old, and retired!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I'm trying my best here bro, it just isn't an easy thing, there is always someone else out there better and looking for another opportunity there is so many reasons why people don't get hired. The place I tested at are looking for someone who is looking to work long term, I really need this job and some how just feel nervous about it cause I'm so used to being told well you weld great but this guy with more experience wants 13.50 versus the 19 we advertised the job at, or you passed your weld tests but your a little under experienced. Playing the corporate game sucks, and then playing the freelance is even worse cause every 5 minutes they want to make it like they don't owe you for what ever reason and it turns into a retarded he said she says. I've been through an awful lot of BS since being home from the Marines I do literally feel like America is killing me and I'd take the war back any day and that is probably not very healthy to think but in more ways then one it is exactly how I feel.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Hey, if you are stressing that much it isn't good for you physically. I am serious...

There are herbs and things that you can take to help with stress... calm your nerves a bit that isn't drugs, wont get you high or anything, just natural stress relievers.

I will have my husband write in this thread when he gets off work and he can tell you what herbs they are because I do not know the names.

They will help calm you a bit and make job hunting easier...

edit on 6-1-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I appreciate it, lol but I'd probably need to save what money I got at the moment I got like 31.00 to my name and had to spend 20 to put gas in the car just to make it there and back. I really do appreciate it though

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Can you donate blood plasma? Is there a donation center near you?

I was getting 60 dollars a week doing that!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Your being out of work kills me because I have 6 kids in the workforce and luckily all are employed, but they have non manufacture service jobs and one of them joined the USAF...
But any one of them could lose their job and end up having to come back to the Mother ship here.
I have more than a few friends who their 30~+- kids still live with them.
When I was their age, jobs were everywhere.
The US really needs to start manufacturing again, I do my part by not buying ANYTHING made outside of the USA where absolutely possible.
This great nation will die if we don't bring it back, and many know this.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I can't donate blood, all them years in Iraq and all the vaccinations kind of bars me for probably ever. If I was able, I'd be hitting the sperm banks, blood banks you name it!!!
edit on 6-1-2014 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

The city I live in Lebanon PA used to be home to one of Americas largest steel foundries I grew up as a kid on a farm and everybody welded or machined. The Bethlem steel and the iron works closed and the whole city went into poverty shortly after wards then the brick plant and then the family farm. I hear this is pretty popular phenomenon across the USA. The biggest employer here is wal mart hell even the mall in this town is about bankrupt.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
someone will call you to work shortly. Hold on. Keep on looking for anything you can get.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I'm doing what I can bro. And thanks!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I have guys trying to recruit my 15 year old son for welding (he is pretty good) because of shortages around here. Move to West Texas. Find a way here....a job will follow.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I used to weld with a lot of guys from Texas up in north PA on the pipeline they all left cause it wasn't worth the money and damage to their trucks and machines. I hardly have the funds to even make it 30 miles to a weld test it would take quite a bit of time to come up with that money to be back on the grind again across country knowing no one there. I don't think I'd survive doing that all over again, I appreciate it though. Maybe in the future but right now I just need to pay property tax and make sure the electric and water don't get shut off.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You know the big furry guy, and if it will help we could maybe get a ats fund going, my husband and I can donate 20 bucks... it isn't much but we have all been there, if others can donate a few bucks you could get there...

its a thought.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

It's not that simple, right now I don't even own my own car I had to get rid of mine because of a radiator it got hit in the snow and insurance declared it totaled so I am borrowing one from a friend. I have a house I have property tax on along with all kinds of other things. Since I've been home it's been nothing but in and out of the gutter I don't think at this point I have it in me to get rid of even more on a gamble I can't afford to pay if it doesn't pan out.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Well, I will pray for you. And if you U2U me your address I will mail you 20 dollars anyway. Its not much, but we don't have much... but maybe it will help some.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join