It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Emotions Are Mapped in the Body

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Researchers found that the most common emotions trigger strong bodily sensations, and the bodily maps of these sensations were topographically different for different emotions. The sensation patterns were, however, consistent across different West European and East Asian cultures, highlighting that emotions and their corresponding bodily sensation patterns have a biological basis.

www.sciencedaily.com...

I find this interesting and, as the article says, this can have major implications for our understanding of the functions of emotions and their bodily basis. The results help us to understand different emotional disorders and provide novel tools for their diagnosis.

Funny to see how similar are the colors for Happiness and Love; Sadness, Neutral and Depression (now I know the TRUE meaning for "I`m feeling blue", lol); Envy and Contempt ....and so on.
edit on 2-1-2014 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

The results help us to understand different emotional disorders and provide novel tools for
their diagnosis.

This is interesting ! Now if they can figure out a way to naturally sway the body into
the happy state from the depressed or sad state. Or from the anxious state to the
happy state. Of course as needed... only for emotional disorders that is.

I know its normal for our body to experience the different emotions and I wouldn't
want to mess with that. However... I'm referring to prolonged states of bad
emotions that can occur with emotional disorders as the article discusses.

Should it be messed with or should it not. Who is to determine if it is an emotional
disorder or not.

I'd like to see them map the change from one state to the other by whatever method
they try.

leolady

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by leolady

Yes, it would be funny to watch someone that is in deep depression due to financial problems, suddenly winning the lotery
....it would be something like a psychedelic disco club, lol

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The images evoke the correct reactions as how it should feel.

This is some of the best stuff i've seen for understanding emotions. Never mind psychology this does it for me.
edit on 2-1-2014 by Jteetj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

CosmicDude

please don't tell me these are the new emoticons

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Blowback

LOL, What a cool idea for ATS

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Blowback

CosmicDude

please don't tell me these are the new emoticons

That would be seriously effective. We would just look at it and get a holistic understanding of how the poster is feeling. Good idea really.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

Thanks so much for posting this. I always tell my friends to think positive, because it helps you stay healthy.
Whereas I always felt that negative emotions can also show in one's appearance and affect our health.

Ps: I'm not a doctor, this is just my own humble opinion due to years of experience. Meditation is great for a healthy mind and body.

I just sent this picture to all my friends.

edit on 2/1/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Where's 'hungover'?

Interesting article.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

angryhulk
Where's 'hungover'?

Just mix depression and shame.

It is an interesting article. Some times when meditating you can feel emotions in certain parts of the body and its interesting how sometimes bad emotions can feel physically the same as good ones.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

Curious how "Neutral" is closest to death. Indeed "Neutral" (apathy) is worse than anger or depression as apathy is no reaction to any kind of stimulus.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by angryhulk

I bet it`s something like 45% dark + 45% blue + 5% Red + 5% yellow (in the head) LOL

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Lust is also missing. But I have an idea of what that would look like.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by soulwaxer

Must be yellow and red

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Happily i checked if this is allready posted, i stumbled on this in Aalto University pages today.
Aalto
Here is full pdf of the research
Study

I believe this leads to more accurate diagnosies when they study this more. Less mistreated patients, less guessing and less prescription drugs which is good.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

That is a wonderful finding to add to this thread. Thank you so much for it.

I love the combination of colors and their relation to different emotions

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Nice visual. This demonstrates why when someone goes to the doc with chronic headaches or stomach pain and nothing can be found they say its a mental health issue. It isn't meant to be a better answer than "I don't know".

Actually I should say - it isn't supposed to be used for that as sometimes I think it is but...many times people can change their health through their thinking. If a doctor says they can't find anything this is a good map to help people understand (along with a pamphlet on the central nervous system and exercises to keep it balanced).

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This is why we need body scanners in medical uses not Airport security...

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

That would be much better indeed

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I find it fascinating how I can easily identify how my body changes, due to emotions, are similar if not exactly like the diagram.

We can see lighter areas form in the throat for disgust

to the butterflies in our stomach when we feel love.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join