It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Emotions Are Mapped in the Body

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

This is interesting ! Now if they can figure out a way to naturally sway the body into
the happy state from the depressed or sad state. Or from the anxious state to the
happy state. Of course as needed... only for emotional disorders that is.

There is a way! It is known since thousands of years and many of us use it all the time. Some call it "Positive thinking" or "Opposition-Positive thinking". You can make your body feel content by remembering positive loving memories. It's amazing how powerful this technique is. There are hundreds of self help book that teach it of course (if you have read self help book you likely heard this technique)

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Damn, it was pretty weird...a part of my last post never showed up...

Which was saying that it's also dangerous knowledge to know emotions with body reactions because this type of technology could be implemented in tech glasses, like the goggle ones.

posted on Jan, 2 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicDude

Although an interesting concept, the authors of the study give no indication of how the measurements were taken or how the map was produced. This is a little unusual as it provides no means of peer review for a scientific experiment to support their findings. I guess we are just supposed to accept this as real with no means of verification.

If it is real, the TSA will get their hands on this technology in short order so they can scan you and then accuse you of something based on your emotional "modeling."

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by theMediator

Yeah, its like seeing someone's naked soul

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 03:57 AM
link   

bobs_uruncle

.....If it is real, the TSA will get their hands on this technology in short order so they can scan you and then accuse you of something based on your emotional "modeling."

Cheers - Dave

This reminds me a bit "Minority Report"

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
We now have a science for the understanding of chi concentration within the body, or you could say the effect of mental energies upon the physical, bio energy, which is a big step for science since it is intangible and tangible.

Yeah this will help them understand the influence of the mind on emotion, how to manipulate feelings, understand the effect and natural force of emotion, and new techniques..
Like many say, techniques are already around, from the beginning of the human race and even animals have used it consciously and subconsciously.

A symbol can be changed but what the symbol represents cannot so we shall call it Karma/Attractions/Faith/Prayer/Mind Over Matter.

It works like this everything vibrates, things vibrate low or high depending upon their frequency, which is the rate as which they vibrate. The higher the frequency the faster the rate of vibration.
Happy is a high, Sad is a low vibration. All our feelings vibrate on between hundreds of different frequency.
All vibrations effect other surrounding vibrations, so if hot vibrating high, came into contact with low vibration cold, the two would compromise so much so, they would become one. When you picture say a car you like and it makes you happy, you have just used your imagination to tune into a frequency, if you are vibrating low(sad) and the frequency you just tune into is of a high vibration. You will increase the emotions vibratory level getting you closer to happiness. I prefer to just feel it.

If you allow the low vibration frequencies to be tuned into subconsciously, you cannot consciously choose how you want to feel, this is were so called emotional disorders happen. The subconscious creates your mindset and emotions along with it.

"Emotions adjust not only our mental, but also our bodily states. This way the prepare us to react swiftly to the dangers, but also to the opportunities such as pleasurable social interactions present in the environment. Awareness of the corresponding bodily changes may subsequently trigger the conscious emotional sensations, such as the feeling of happiness," tells assistant professor Lauri Nummenmaa from Aalto University.

He got it half right, just with the exception that the mental mindset creates the emotional state, the emotional state can only create the mental when there is lack of control, for if you don't control how you feel, who does? I have come to understand this as matter over mind, the less mind over matter you have, the more matter over mind there is.

edit on 3-1-2014 by Wisdomer because: Saw an error in my displayed perception.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Couldn't help but notice that happy/sad and love/depression were the strongest. That's an amazing correlation to most ideas concerning the way our mind controls our bodies, and the truth of certain sayings. Stress kills? I would say yes.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
It would be nice if you could go in for a scan & then have acupuncture
in the areas that need stimulating. No need for medications.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Wow, and the blues genre was made before this. Lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Flag for interesting content. However the pictures are composites of 'colorings' that the test subjects submitted to the researcher and not any sort of external measurement. The research was done remotely over the internet, so is strictly self-report.

from the OP's referenced article.

The research was carried out on line, and over 700 individuals from Finland, Sweden and Taiwan took part in the study. The researchers induced different emotional states in their Finnish and Taiwanese participants. Subsequently the participants were shown with pictures of human bodies on a computer, and asked to colour the bodily regions whose activity they felt increasing or decreasing.

www.sciencedaily.com...

I just don't see how this self reported feeling could be used in any way to 'detect' the emotion of the subject or improve 'pyschological dianoses'. It would be used as another tool - like ink-blots.

I agree that emotion effects our physical system however, as it, emotion, is subjective and certainly any artistic representation of the physical feeling would be subjective as well. From my reading the representations do seem to correlate cross-culturally so there is something to be learned - it would be interesting to be able to see the raw inputs from subjects.

However this study would not represent measurable physical reactions to a given emotion, as implied by some posters. It is only a subjective artistic representation of the felt physical feeling not the actual physiological response.
edit on 3-1-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

leolady

The results help us to understand different emotional disorders and provide novel tools for
their diagnosis.

This is interesting ! Now if they can figure out a way to naturally sway the body into
the happy state from the depressed or sad state. Or from the anxious state to the
happy state. Of course as needed... only for emotional disorders that is.

leolady

There are many methods already available for improving mood. Some that work for some and others for others: Prayer, Mediation, Hicks/Abramham, Energy Psychology - my personal favorite is the EMwave from the HeartMath Insitiute.

I've used many methods and they all help,as long as I'm consistant in their practise.

Gratitutes work anyplace anytime:

Went you catch yourself going to a negative place (have to be self-aware of your thoughts and self-talk) just start listing things you are grateful for. Don't have to feel it - just do it - the feeling comes later. You know everyone has a lot to be grateful for- use it in traffic all the time....

I'm grateful that I have a car. I'm grateful for the guys who fill in the potholes after a rain. I'm grateful for my mechanic. I'm grateful that **** missed me. I'm grateful, I can see well enough to drive. I'm grateful my car gets good mileage. I'm grateful the traffic is moving well.... You get the idea.
edit on 3-1-2014 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
i just hope this kind of technology doesn't get used against the masses in general..

i mean i already hate it when somebody tries to psychoanalyze me based on minimal observational data and gets it very wrong but the other seems so bent on his "correct" analysis..... it gets nowhere..

in the wrong situations its dangerous to my sanity.. i can just imagine police coming up to me, "Yes officer, anything I can do for you?" Police reply "Sir/Ma'am, our scanner shows you're feeling fearful right now, got something (suspicious) to hide?"

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

woodwardjnr

angryhulk
Where's 'hungover'?

Just mix depression and shame.

It is an interesting article. Some times when meditating you can feel emotions in certain parts of the body and its interesting how sometimes bad emotions can feel physically the same as good ones.

How true that is - it feels, in my body, just the same (heart rate, scattered thinking, etc) when I've very anxious about something and when I'm excited about something. The first in a 'bad' way, the second, in a 'good' way. Same feeling - different (or maybe not - the Buddists have something there) emotion.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

CosmicDude
reply to post by Rainbowresidue

Curious how "Neutral" is closest to death. Indeed "Neutral" (apathy) is worse than anger or depression as apathy is no reaction to any kind of stimulus.

See the subjectivity. I wouldn't call 'neutral' 'close to death' but 'the motor running without being in gear one way or the other' - sounds rather heavenly IMO - so maybe you have a point.

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I read that yesterday. It is interesting. Look at the energy flowing through the body when the person is happy. It is everywhere, that energy is connecting the cells all over. They are communicating and may be healing. It opens the mind to possibilities that medicine will not say exists. I look at this evidence a little different than it is looked at by these researchers. I look at energy and communication flowing.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Jteetj
The images evoke the correct reactions as how it should feel.

This is some of the best stuff i've seen for understanding emotions. Never mind psychology this does it for me.
edit on 2-1-2014 by Jteetj because: (no reason given)

I agree. I actually had a very intense situation that made me incredibly angry recently, and after I cooled down I thought about how all the emotion I was feeling was located in the upper part of my body, specifically my head.

Thinking about other situations when I've experienced intense emotions, I have to say that this is pretty accurate. Also, really cool.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I don't get it.. What do the colors and intensities represent?

posted on Jan, 5 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I do not think that a lack of emotion, like apathy means being incapable of feeling emotions.

The emotions you feel about things in life, are programmed in to you during growing up and experience.

You can feel pain where another would enjoy the same stimulant. Emotions aren't a set given system that is the same for all people.

Anything out of the average would suggest a person, to have a problem, where that isn't the case...
People learn to live with their emotions.

People with emotional problems might just lack the knowledge to cope or something.

Just saying that people are all placed in boxes with others, and that it won't be a positive development when they start to use another measure as well.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by nOraKat

nOraKat
I don't get it.. What do the colors and intensities represent?

The intensities mean where it is most felt in the body. Yellow is the strongest, then Red, then Blue, Black is numbness.

CosmicDude

When I first looked at it, it seemed to show that happiness is more powerful than love since it flows through the entire body from head to toe; but then I realized, Love is stronger because it is the only one with the largest intensity (shown with the color yellow).
edit on 17-1-2014 by arpgme because: to respond to another person

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join