It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery steam over Fukushima could be sign of another meltdown

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

The newest update in the highly disconcerting series of devastating failures that is the Fukushima cleanup effort is troubling to say the least. Tepco has confirmed that (unexplained) plumes of steam have been rising from the mangled remains of Reactor Building 3. In other words, there's a chance Fukushima could be in the middle of another meltdown.

The thing is, no one has been able to find out the exact cause of the rising, mysterious radioactive steam because the combination of physical damage and, more importantly, lethal radiation levels have made investigating the reactor impossible. Tepco has known that a followup meltdown was a severe possibility, though. The Reactor 3 fuel storage pond is still home to about 89 tons of plutonium-based mixed-oxide fuel according to the The Ecologist, and should that fuel storage pond dry out, the highly radioactive rods will melt down with devastating results.

gizmodo.com...

They still have 2 other possible theories, not as severe

First, the molten fuel could have burnt its way through the base and into the soil below, producing steam as it comes into contact with groundwater (while simultaneously releasing radioactive contaminants into the ocean)
Second, reactor rod fragments could have come into contact with rainwater, producing extreme amounts of heat and, consequently, steam

Whatever the cause, it can't be good
Wonder if they'll ever get control of the situation

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

snarky412

The newest update in the highly disconcerting series of devastating failures that is the Fukushima cleanup effort is troubling to say the least. Tepco has confirmed that (unexplained) plumes of steam have been rising from the mangled remains of Reactor Building 3. In other words, there's a chance Fukushima could be in the middle of another meltdown.

The thing is, no one has been able to find out the exact cause of the rising, mysterious radioactive steam because the combination of physical damage and, more importantly, lethal radiation levels have made investigating the reactor impossible. Tepco has known that a followup meltdown was a severe possibility, though. The Reactor 3 fuel storage pond is still home to about 89 tons of plutonium-based mixed-oxide fuel according to the The Ecologist, and should that fuel storage pond dry out, the highly radioactive rods will melt down with devastating results.

gizmodo.com...

They still have 2 other possible theories, not as severe

First, the molten fuel could have burnt its way through the base and into the soil below, producing steam as it comes into contact with groundwater (while simultaneously releasing radioactive contaminants into the ocean)
Second, reactor rod fragments could have come into contact with rainwater, producing extreme amounts of heat and, consequently, steam

Whatever the cause, it can't be good
Wonder if they'll ever get control of the situation

They were supposed to be moving the fuel rods around this time with Arnie Gunderson stating a while back he thinks there is a 100% chance of them breaking one. Which could easily create a chain reaction fire.
With TEPCO's track record of telling the truth, I think majority are going to find out how bad this is when people start becoming infertile and the food is glowing on the table lol.. Apologizes for making that joke, I try not to worry about something I cant control that is going to be a problem for a very long time after I am dead.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It's been debunked as water steaming off from rainfall on this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

The problem that everyone needs to come to terms with, is that Fukashima has no solution.

Our level of tech is just not high enough. We cannot fix the problem because we do not know how.

The current dog and pony show is just that, a show for us, to satisfy our demands for them to do something useful.

Quite frankly, if they keep meddling, eventually, they may make it worse, a lot worse.

I think the molten pool is heading / melting its way into the ground and as far as I can see, the deeper it goes the better.

The really # part of all this is that the lesson has not been learned. Putting a Nuke plant on a known fault line is just asking for trouble and world wide there are lots of troubles just waiting for an earthquake to come along.

Profits over common sense, happens 24/7

P

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Next stop...Busheshr nuke plant in Iran....whoopie!
Time for the last sane people to put a stop to the insanity.......

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

dainoyfb

I just skimmed through the thread you provided, which did not come up in my 'search' on this as usual, and I did not see anyone debunking it. In fact, the last few comments people posted fresher links

Per that thread:
TEPCO Quietly Admits Reactor 3 Could Be Melting Down NOW - nsnbc-

Plumes of mysterious steam rise from crippled nuclear reactor at Fukushima - RT -

Doesn't sound like it's been debunked just yet.
Not when TEPCO has no answers

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Happy new year. I had this convo - hungover - at a house with the wife and kids.. Had no idea about the situation at all... I did not finish the beer and left.. 1 of 15 weird things that happened today and its only 7pm cst... I'm out. PS-> I'm tired of knowing this crap while these people dont. I did however get a youtube video of ice falling.. sigh. *rant on*
edit on 1-1-2014 by mockingmay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

Not debunked, has been confirmed. Also original thread in link above.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

snarky412

dainoyfb

I just skimmed through the thread you provided, which did not come up in my 'search' on this as usual, and I did not see anyone debunking it.

Then you missed this important aspect of the thread:

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I would not call that debunking. Not anywhere close.

I am not taking Tepco's word for anything and the other is just a verbal blog.

Debunked? I think not.

P

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Its only 80 tons of MOX fuel doing what it does best when already partially melted down.

No worries.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

You and I are probably on the same page. I'm not saying it is accurately debunked. I don't trust Tepco either and nobody at our level can know for certain what is really going on.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Sorry, but those videos don't debunk anything either....any Joe Blow can post their views on YT and claim it as the truth

edit on 1-1-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

dainoyfb

I don't believe there's anything to be debunked.... Yes there's steam an nobody (Tepco included) knows why. Steam wouldn't emanate from only one structure if it was rainwater unless the rainwater came in contact with exposed fuel which is melting down.
I think/hope it's just some fuel pellets that were ejected and have been molten/exposed for some time until some rain water came in contact. But either way to my uninformed mind bad things are happening and nobody knows why.
My real concern is if the rainwater is making it down to the spent fuel pool and is coming in contact with fuel. I'm not an exPert but to me if the rainwater is coming in contact with fuel then that means the cooling/storage pools are empty an the situation is far worse than they'll ever let us know.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The steam meant there is fuel on the verge of burning because of a lack of cooling. Clearly more to the story that were being told.
How about fourteen million doses of potassium iodide being bought up by the US government?
edit on 1/1/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

snarky412

dainoyfb

I just skimmed through the thread you provided, which did not come up in my 'search' on this as usual, and I did not see anyone debunking it. In fact, the last few comments people posted fresher links

Per that thread:
TEPCO Quietly Admits Reactor 3 Could Be Melting Down NOW - nsnbc-

Plumes of mysterious steam rise from crippled nuclear reactor at Fukushima - RT -

Doesn't sound like it's been debunked just yet.
Not when TEPCO has no answers

Its so easy for folks to say something has been debunked or say there is nothing to it then to face the reality. The reality is that something wicked this way cometh.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
People just believe blindly, because their governments tell them its all good.
Radioactive waste is working their way across the ocean. they are soon to arrive here....two-four months on the west coast.

The truth has been leaking out for years. This makes Chernobyl look like a firecracker. Better ship all those posassium iodide supplements to the west coast ASAP.

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

shaneslaughta
People just believe blindly, because their governments tell them its all good.
Radioactive waste is working their way across the ocean. they are soon to arrive here....two-four months on the west coast.

The truth has been leaking out for years. This makes Chernobyl look like a firecracker. Better ship all those posassium iodide supplements to the west coast ASAP.

there was actually a scientist that was quoted on Bing a few days ago about saying that the west coast of the US and Canada would not be liveable by 2015. However no one seems to want to listen because the government and media is saying nothing

posted on Jan, 1 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntC

It was David Suzuki.
www.huffingtonpost.ca...

edit on 1-1-2014 by dainoyfb because: I fixed the link.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join