It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark photobomb? Family Photo Captures Big Fish Lurking Just Feet From Family

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm not saying I feel the photo may be a fake but, playing devil's advocate,...does the size/height of the wave, in relation to the area of receding/shallow surf appear 'unnatural' to anyone?

edit on 30-12-2013 by IAMTAT because: photo added

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Shuftystick
Go online with the search term "shark surf" and see what you think...

Clue;

Sharks have vertical tail fins

Dolphins have horizontal tail fins

This particular dolphin is online so many times in images he, or she, should be autographing surf boards..

There is even an image of a South African surfer sharing the same wave with 2 dolphins if you are unsure about what you are really seeing

Go online and search 'shark dorsal fin vs. dolphin dorsal fin' and see what YOU think...

Clue;

The rear edge of a dolphin's dorsal fin is curved, as can easily be seen in the second example posted by SLAYER69.

The rear edge of the fin in this picture is straight, making this creature a shark.

The tail fin argument is hardly ever valid because perspective can make the tail fin look either horizontal or vertical, depending on how you look at it.

But this picture, photoshopped or not, contains the shadow of a shark.
edit on 12/30/2013 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMTAT

No. The wave looks proportional to the depth. And I agree with the above poster. It's a shark.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

scojak
Clue;

The rear edge of a dolphin's dorsal fin is curved, as can easily be seen in the second example posted by SLAYER69.

The rear edge of the fin in this picture is straight, making this creature a shark.

The tail fin argument is hardly ever valid because perspective can make the tail fin look either horizontal or vertical, depending on how you look at it.

But this picture, photoshopped or not, contains the shadow of a shark.

Yup. And the proportions are wrong for a dolphin. Dolphins are much thicker from the center to the tail. Shark.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by redhorse

doesn't matter if its flipper, ill # my pants non the less if i see that while dabbling in the water

You and me both, and that is the truth.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have been surfing for years. From California to Florida. And have seen this many times. I was surfing At Sebastian inlet and just off, to the side, there was guys fishing for the sharks. They had ATV's with plywood chained to the back. So, when they brought in a big sharks, they could pull them from the beach.

It's an awesome site seeing sharks swim through the waves when paddling out. We never had a problem... Ever.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

I was out near Ponce Inlet this summer. A 4'+ shark swims through the lineup, most of us see it, no one goes in, we just pick up our feet.

I have a lot of respect for sharks, they are not out to eat people. Almost all attacks are a case of mistaken identity. However in Florida most of our bites are from little guys, recently a friend of mine was bit at the same spot the lifeguard rescued a shark, it wasn't a very big guy but the shark didn't want to let go. In Western Australia and South Africa one little taste bite from a Great White can be lethal.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
It's been shown that sharks like the sun as much as people do. When they cruise in at certain places and hang out at a slow speed just under the surface, they aren't necessarily hunting but relaxing. That doesn't mean they won't take a chunk out of something that piques their interest - they are opportunists - but with the larger shadows you see, I'll bet that's what they're doing, cruising and relaxing and not really trying to hunt.

And this looks like a shark to me. Some of the other photos show what is obviously a dolphin.

Still, if these are your kids ... well, you'd freak out. It's a natural response.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

I was wondering if you could see them from that vantage point (like in the pic where guy appears to be looking at the shark - he actually is). I imagine in the pacific it would be harder but good to know your actually seeing them.

I'm not afraid of them based on anything factual (they rarely attack humans and if they do it's due to misidentification). I'm not sure what has me spooked about the idea of encountering one. Media, being a big baby about it....

Surfers impress me with their confidence and understanding of life in the sea. I've heard some say seals and sea lions are more threatening.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Still reckon its a dolphin and a saw enough in Gulf waters off East Pass Destin in the summer from a boat.

However, in deference to those that have seen sharks in or under the water I accept your greater experience and knowledge.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Shuftystick

Curved dorsal flat tail . . . It's a dolphin . At least I don't see a shark in that photo. But that being said have been bumped by a shark in same depth water / distance from shore as in this photo and at a beach a few miles north of this photo.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Perhaps it's a hybrid genetic cross breed as a result of Fukushima radiation in the oceans affecting both species food chains etc.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

So the 4th one is real...my goodness...i guess that smirk disappeared pdq. lol

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
It looks like a dolphin. People are saying its too skinny to be a dolphin but ever think the light might be warped by and refraction or lensing from the water and wave shape? I've also seen dolphin in the waves and thats what it looks like.

THe back end is skinny due to the water effects and because the tail is horizontal and not vertical. Also no, caudal fin, no anal fin, no secondary dorsal no pelvic fin. Not even a fish in that picture. thats a mammal. ie a dolphin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join