It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why shouldn't certain races pay more for car insurance?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

No, it's not fair to charge males more, or fair to charge any race more...... When I broke the speed limit it was because the highway was empty, except this one time on the road that a cop thought it was funny as hell to talegate me on an unlighted street I lived on with his bright lights on. I downshifted and took off, dickhead cop thought my bumper was tasty enough to ride for ten minutes before he hit his pull over lights. Then he thought it would be cool to point his little glock at my face as if I robbed a bank and ate a few kids or something instead of was forced to speed a bit.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I had a car tailgate me flashing high beams at me on the highway. I slowed down, it got closer and flashed harder. I went slower .. cop pulled me over for obstruction of traffic. It was midnight, we were the only 2 cars on a 3 lane highway. He didn't ticket me though, just ran me to see if he could get me on anything then let me go and told me I better only drive in the far right lane in the future.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Im not sure I get what you're saying here op. You want… like a white person or a native, black ect, to pay more because they're that skin color? Or is it just that men pay more and you're using race as an example.
edit on 29-12-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Yes, certain races are statistically more likely to get in wrecks.

Insurance is a fickle thing, full of double standards that are neither far nor great.

Some double standards include:

Men pay more than women, up to a certain age because men are worse drivers.

It is illegal to charge certain races, one interesting thing to point out is an unspoken reason for this. You can determine what genitalia someone is born with based on their birth certificate. Race is based more on opinion.

I might be white. I might also be 1/3 black slave from a southern plantation. So how does race play into an actuarial table to determine insurance rates considering that it's so ....fickle?

Yeah?

Actually one of the most accurate ways of determining how risky a driver will be is by looking at their credit report. Bar none, credit reports, along with age and sex, will decide almost to a dime(or is it .05...har har har) what your likelihood of a wreck is.

Food for thought.

Also: one reason you would want certain races to be charged more is that for every bad driver charged more, good drivers are charged less. If law stipulates that one group has to subsidize the bad behavior of one group, it just hurts the other less risky groups. However, lack of insurance in the current statist system could potentially keep innocent and responsible people from participating. (i.e. young black man who just graduated from Harvard and studied driving safety). Insurance is based on generalizations, and is NEVER fair. It's based on pools and broad data not individual behavior.
edit on 30-12-2013 by OrphanApology because: s

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
lets say you are white, along with 72.4 percent of america, which is around 220 million whites and the remaining 70 million are other ethinc groups (i think there are 22), you would still end up paying more because of the high numbers of your ethinc group, and how would this be fair if there is only 50 thousand people in certain ethinc groups, they would basically pay nothing, it wouldnt work really, either way you look at it
edit on 30-12-2013 by LordOfDestruction because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Couple of facts about risk...

Last m/cycle was pretty large, fairing, panniers, silver/red colour with high viz markings on panniers.
I always wore a high viz jacket or "Sam Brown" belt over leathers and always rode with headlight on.
Only 2 times I was hit by a car, thet were driven by women.

1st was when I was making a right turn off main road into side street, I was hit by woman turning right coming out of side street into main road. Ironically this was directly in front of a paramedic ambulance waiting in the thankfully stationary traffic. Paramedic driver could not believe the female drivers failure to see me, the bike or the rather large indicator on the fairing!

2nd, stationary at traffic lights, struck from behind by car driven by female who was combing her hair whilst using the rear view mirror as a vanity aid.

Lesson, charge female drivers a higher premium for car insurance, and, if a motorcyclist, besides treating anything with more wheels than you as a potential hazard, if there's a female driving whatever it is, treat it as a higher risk altogether.

No longer motorcycling but believe it made me a better car driver after 25 yrs on and off 2 wheels.
Oh, yes, proud to have a pristine record despite last bike being a turbocharged Yamaha XJ 650...

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuftystick

In the UK (and the EU) they can no longer provide insurance a long gender lines. This was changed last year. The women were up in arms as it meant higher premiums for them, but we saw ours go down! The insurance firms must now treat us al as equals, finally. I often wandered why companies such as Sheila's Wheels, for example, could get away with excluding men and offering Women cheap insurance as it is blatant discrimination.

As for the actual risks - I've heard that men have fewer, but more serious accidents. Women tend to drive slower so despite having more accidents, they are much less of an impact so the claims are lower. In me experience, it is women who do the daftest things, such as make-up, talking on the phone, not looking correctly at junctions/roundabouts etc.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuftystick

Lesson, charge female drivers a higher premium for car insurance, and, if a motorcyclist, besides treating anything with more wheels than you as a potential hazard, if there's a female driving whatever it is, treat it as a higher risk altogether.

Maybe it's a geographical issue.
I'm a woman who pays attention. I've been driving for about 40 years.
I've been hit at the side twice from men, and rear ended by a man. All those were in busy traffic, and there was no where to escape to. I'm not saying there aren't bad women drivers too, I've just never been hit by one.

Both genders seem to be getting worse at driving.
I notice a lot of very aggressive male drivers in the winter, and then they're in the ditch, buried in snow.

Now I drive a 4x4 truck. It's safer. I also avoid the city nearby in the winter - it seems to be the most accident prone city in Canada (Edmonton). Bad, bad winter drivers.....

**I have tried to teach three women friends how to drive. One was a natural immediately, the other two, I told to never, ever get behind the drivers wheel

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

men tend to be super heros when it comes to anything motorized and on wheels.

reply to post by Common Good

This statement made me laugh out loud!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

HanzHenry

I was a insurance agent for awhile in 2003 and had a friend who was in underwriting.

NEVER BUY THE STATS of insurance companies.

the male vs. female premium difference is ALL LIES.. and any other is as well. The confidentiality agreements are for life and they enforce them. I will say.

that in the male/female debate, that MALES DID NOT have more accidents/claims.

the skewed data on that is people who get into accidents while driving PROFESSIONALLY were included in an UNETHICAL fashion. THIS is what shows men as more risk..
what percent of CDL's are held by men? 90%(+).. so, all the insurance companies input that LIE, as justification for "men pay more because they have more wrecks".

When only personal driven vehicles (not for hire) are compared.. MEN HAVE LESS CLAIMS total..

BUT< since men make/made more money.. I.E., have more disposable income to siphon,. OF COURSE the insurance companies fond a LIE that STICKS!

AND< the families are usually male headed, and the policy is under the Man's name more often than not. AND ANY CLAIM on a family's policy where the Man was the holder... that data was also put into the "man have more wrecks" LIE
edit on 29-12-2013 by HanzHenry because: clear

Just as I thought all along. I think the same thing applies to speeders. I doubt those who have recieved tickets are any higher of a risk.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by TKDRL

I had a car tailgate me flashing high beams at me on the highway. I slowed down, it got closer and flashed harder. I went slower .. cop pulled me over for obstruction of traffic. It was midnight, we were the only 2 cars on a 3 lane highway. He didn't ticket me though, just ran me to see if he could get me on anything then let me go and told me I better only drive in the far right lane in the future.

The cop did the right thing. Move over if you don't want to drive as fast as everyone else. The left lane on highways is considered a passing lane. Stay out of it if you are not passing. I always wanted to be a cop so I could throw some justice at those "safe" drivers who are clogging up our roads and are responsible for the wasting of billions of hours during our lives.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Let me get this straight. You are mad that since you are male, and pay more for auto insurance, you now want the auto insurance companies to now become racists and charge other races more because you pay more because you are male?

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is why men pay more for insurance:

Q: What are common risk factors for death at the Canyon? (The Grand Canyon)

Being male, and young, is a tremendous risk factor, he and Myers found.

Of 55 who have accidentally fallen from the rim of the canyon, 39 were male. Eight of those guys were hopping from one rock to another or posing for pictures, including a 38-year-old father from Texas pretending to fall to scare his daughter, who then really did fall 400 feet to his death.

canyon deaths

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
all I can add is my wife is a 60 year old Japanese woman, and I will not ride with her when she is driving. I'm her white husband, and when I'm in the passenger side, my knuckle-whitening appearance, makes a snowman look like an ethnic minority. after 30 years of marriage, there are some lines that have to be drawn

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

sligtlyskeptical

OccamsRazor04
reply to post by TKDRL

The cop did the right thing. Move over if you don't want to drive as fast as everyone else. The left lane on highways is considered a passing lane. Stay out of it if you are not passing. I always wanted to be a cop so I could throw some justice at those "safe" drivers who are clogging up our roads and are responsible for the wasting of billions of hours during our lives.

I seem to remember when the left lane *was* the passing lane, or the "fast" lane. I even still see signs that say "keep right except to pass."

BUT i don't recall EVER seeing as many people who just decide to cut over to the far left lane and drive at or below the speed limit as I have in recent times. Most of the time the passing lane is the far right lane, and i can pass a .25-.5 mile line of cars in the left lane by moving over to the right. No other cars on the road and these folks are just lollygag putting along in the left lane.

Drives me nuts.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
My idea for proper evaluation of driving risk.

A simulator derived test where:

1. reflexes
2. spatial vision, depth perception
3. how fast one can safely drive
4. etc.,

are factored into things. Nothing compares to Hand/Eye coordination in driving.

I recall during a safety standdown we had because of a guy got drunk, drove, and killed some civilians while we had liberty.

An NHTSA rep brought slides, a video and graphs. then we had an experiment involving reflexes, some participants got alcohol, etc. the elderly drivers (over 60) performed WORSE than fairly drunk 30 years olds (0.08-0.16 bac).

Dude was a cool guy, former Marine, and he divulged things not spoken outside of a USMC E-club..

BAC means diddly squat also. a person who is a "lush" and is accustomed to driving with a BAC can outperform SENIORS SOBER on ANY driving test.

Money and Control.. find a way to control the stats to have an excuse to take in more money..

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I think it is all relative in some way.

I agree about male drivers seeming to drive more aggressively, but at the same time I see more female drivers driving without due care and attention viz. pulling out in front at junctions or roundabouts. We have. 4x4 & a small hatchback, rarely does the 4x4 have to brake sharply for anyone pulling out in front of it, the hatchback though...

Drive a bus or a taxi though, well, what is the rule of the road for apart from ignore it, red lights, junctions, give way chicanes

The answer is the little dash cams or those that cyclists use, at least if you are in an accident it records the event.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I do not pay more based on my gender? Where the # do you live? A person is a person, the only time it is acceptable to pay more for your insurance is if you are a liability. Anger issues, drinking issues, lots of traffic tickets, accident history. That makes sense, and those do affect your insurance. Last time I checked my insurance was not effected by my gender, my insurance is comparable to both my fiance's and mothers, and I am a male. My Brothers is more but he has been in 2 accidents, my dad's is more but he has speeding tickets, and an accident.

Nothing to do with Gender, just the actions and history of the driver.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Because that would be racist no matter how you tried to spin it. Just as charging one gender or another more is sexist. Just because its allowed doesn't make it right.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Race as a determining factor.. genetic predisposition?

Others have stated things about Asians and driving prowess..

**** attempt to avoid T&C violation ****

Imho, racist as it may be, I think that when figured in MACRO, there is a genetic predisposition by race?

1. Asians -- math, science, inventive, linear reasoning
2. Africans -- quick reflexes (boxing, sprinting, jumping)
3. Caucasians -- very good hand/eye coordination (pilots, archers, etc)

could this relate to driving?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join