It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why shouldn't certain races pay more for car insurance?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
All things else being equal (accidents, etc) men pay more for car insurance. Simply by nature of my gender, something I have no control over, I am forced to pay more for can insurance.

Everyone seems to think that's fine, to make someone pay more for their gender. What about their race?

To avoid accusations of racism any other BS I'm not going to post numbers about any races.

But just think of this, if you grouped auto accidents by race, and then listed them in order of most-to least, isn't it only fair that the races at the top of that list pay more for auto insurance?

Surely it sounds horrible and racist to make someone pay more for car insurance because they are "insert race here" but it's OK to make someone pay more for car insurance because they are a male, both of which the person has zero control over?

How is that anything other than hugely hypocritical?

We as a society have decided that race, gender, etc are supposed to be ignored. Yet men can still be penalized for simply being born men, and this is fully open and supported, not some tricky fine print back-alley deal.

If it's OK to make people pay more because they are Men, why not make the races that are proportionally more likely to get into accidents also pay more for insurance?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This is a question you should ask a transgender albino insurance agent...or that pesky gecco with the crappy accent....

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
How pure of race are you looking at? Someone who is 50% of some race? 25% of said race?
What if they "look" like a certain race, but are not of that race?

I don't have a card that says what race I am, and what percentage of it that I am.

~sigh~

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Men are prone to doing stupid things behind the wheel.

Not saying women dont, but men tend to be super heros when it comes to anything motorized and on wheels.

If you think its not right to do so, then say it and move on. Dont try to prove your point by inserting more stupid rules for people to follow, especially since you scream foul about the first set of rules. If you get what I mean?

I hate micro management, especially when peoples skin or gender is a factor.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The numbers speak for themselves. Ask the actuaries.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Definitely...Auto insurance for white cars should cost more than auto insurance for black cars.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I think its because men take more risk's. That said I see your point and it IMO shouldn't be that way. One might argue, a certain race is riskier than another. I don't know which race and I don't have data.... Just saying

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I was a insurance agent for awhile in 2003 and had a friend who was in underwriting.

NEVER BUY THE STATS of insurance companies.

the male vs. female premium difference is ALL LIES.. and any other is as well. The confidentiality agreements are for life and they enforce them. I will say.

that in the male/female debate, that MALES DID NOT have more accidents/claims.

the skewed data on that is people who get into accidents while driving PROFESSIONALLY were included in an UNETHICAL fashion. THIS is what shows men as more risk..
what percent of CDL's are held by men? 90%(+).. so, all the insurance companies input that LIE, as justification for "men pay more because they have more wrecks".

When only personal driven vehicles (not for hire) are compared.. MEN HAVE LESS CLAIMS total..

BUT< since men make/made more money.. I.E., have more disposable income to siphon,. OF COURSE the insurance companies fond a LIE that STICKS!

AND< the families are usually male headed, and the policy is under the Man's name more often than not. AND ANY CLAIM on a family's policy where the Man was the holder... that data was also put into the "man have more wrecks" LIE
edit on 29-12-2013 by HanzHenry because: clear

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

it because we make more money and have since insurance was invented. Its just another way for the powers that be to skim off the top

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I don't get where the whole "men take more risks behind the wheel" mantra comes from. I have never once in my life, seen a man trying to apply makeup in the rearview while driving, all the times I was almost killed on my motorcycle because someone was yacking or texting on a cellphone while driving on the highway was exclusively women. Sure, maybe men tend to drive a little faster, but that's not nearly as dangerous as makeup applying or texting behind the wheel.

The only thing that proves stupid notions about male VS female accidents are probably skewed like most stats anyways. The same would apply with race. How abouut we do away with all the preconcieved notion BS and treat people according to their driving histories? I have been driving sonce I was 10 years old, the only accident I ever got in involved ice and snowy road, and I slid into a ditch. No harm, no foul I say. Just needed to replave the front left shock absorber, no one was hurt, no property except my own shock was damaged.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

IAMTAT
Definitely...Auto insurance for white cars should cost more than auto insurance for black cars.

Makes sense. White cars are really hard to see in the snow.
Red cars should cost the most to insure, they go faster

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Thought insurance premiums were directly related to a few basics such as vehicle type, age, value, mileage, driver age, convictions, points, no-claim discount, profession, vehicle kept garaged, roadside, alarmed etc.

Not sure your race has anything to do with it and anyway I am white Anglo Saxon to look at but mixed race as previously stated elsewhere on ATS, with 25% Celtic Welsh, 25% Celtic Basque, 25% English Cockney & 25% Argentinian. When I have been out in the sun for a while I tend to take on a darker skin hue that might be taken for someone from a warmer climate than the UK. Should I stay out of the sun or get a tan in order to obtain a cheaper premium?

What next, insurance based on religion FFS!? I am registered as a Jedi Knight on the UK National Census along with my race stated as mixed race. Would I get cheaper insurance if I was Buddhist, Hindu, Moslem, Pagan, Catholic, Jewish, Atheist?

How about premiums based on car colour as opposed to skin colour, which colour would carry the highest premium? Black cos you can't see the buggers at night or white cos you can't see the buggers in the snow?

ATS, home of Intelligent Debate...

edit on 29-12-2013 by Shuftystick because: Omission

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Uhm... Paying bye race is out of the question.

Black, white, hispanic, chinese, arabic or abiriginal... We are all members of the same race.

Men are statistically taking more risks, then woman. When you are still considered a minor or young adult, you pay an even higher price...

Would you also think that is discrimination as well ?

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I dunno..

One year several things happened that drastically dropped my rate. One, I turned 21, Two, I moved out of the City into the County and Three, my Car ticked passed it's prime...

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Where ya been OP?

The insurance companies are way beyond race! They no can charge people more based upon their credit rating! Sounds pretty color blind to me!

Now if the rest of us whom pander to the sleazy race sellers would only realize that the differences in US and THEM isn't based on the color of ones skin, but whom controls the wealth...........well, then maybe then we can get somewhere!

link   

snowspirit

IAMTAT

Indeed, red cars do go faster.

And black cars are harder to see at night, especially if driven by a black person. Everyone knows asians can drive anyway, so.... *eye roll*

And green cars, well, they just blend in to their surrounding.

ETA: the above is sarcasm, for anyone getting their tighty-whities (or tighty-blackies, or burlap undies, or panties, or draw's for that matter), in a wad.

What the hell is this OP about anyway?? That because men pay more, certain races should pay more? Women should pay more. They put on make up, which distracts them. I see it every day. #sarcasm
edit on 29-12-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

link   

I don't know. Should some races get ankle bracelets and be monitored because they have a higher likelihood of being a pedophile,rapist, serial killer, massacre killer? US crime statistics are gospel I tell ya.

Maybe ban some races from politics because of a history of genocide,despotism,imperialism and tyranny.
No. Stupid idea.
This should be outlawed. This is institutionized discrimination. Pure and simple.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Liquesence

snowspirit

IAMTAT

Indeed, red cars do go faster.

And black cars are harder to see at night, especially if driven by a black person. Everyone knows asians can drive anyway, so.... *eye roll*

And green cars, well, they just blend in to their surrounding.

What the hell is this OP about anyway??

Your a right wing paintist.

Shame on you.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

snowspirit
How pure of race are you looking at? Someone who is 50% of some race? 25% of said race?
What if they "look" like a certain race, but are not of that race?

I don't have a card that says what race I am, and what percentage of it that I am.

~sigh~

Then it's time to go get some DNA testing done so as to determine just how much 'bad driver' you got in you

I think car insurance is a major Ponzi scheme. If you have no accidents over a year period, then you should get 70% of that money back. But charging people by race would never work.

posted on Dec, 29 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Sinter Klaas
Uhm... Paying bye race is out of the question.

Black, white, hispanic, chinese, arabic or abiriginal... We are all members of the same race.

Men are statistically taking more risks, then woman. When you are still considered a minor or young adult, you pay an even higher price...

Would you also think that is discrimination as well ?

Men woman, we are all the same race

young old, we are all the same race

What does that have to do with the subject being discussed? Nobody denied we are all the same race?

The issue is uneven application of societal laws. The issue is hypocrisy.

Certain races statistically are more likely to get into auto accidents. Yet race cannot be used to determine rates.

Certain genders statistically are more likely to get into auto accidents. It's accepted openly that they pay more.

Certain ages statistically are more likely to get into auto accidents. It's accepted openly that they pay more.

That is BLATANT hypocrisy.

I'm not suggesting that race SHOULD be used to determine rates. I'm suggesting age and gender SHOULD NOT. How you can't understand that is beyond ridiculous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join