It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty Strangeness - Sorry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I know this whole DD thing is getting plastered all over ATS, but something seems very, very strange, the subject of this thread isn't the whole situation, the subject is what was "ignored' that he said.

The guy shared personal opinions on homosexuals that are based on his religious beliefs, and probably a good helping of cultural brainwashing as well. He even said how he wouldn't treat anybody different and still has love for everyone, etc etc.

An offensive remark to some? Sure. But it's a personal opinion. Yet the gay-remarks are the main thing 99% of all the coverage is about.

What about his remarks on black people? That wasn't a personal opinion, that was a historical inaccuracy, this comment seemed far more offensive, I'm a staunch anti-PC person, but that comment seemed far, far worse than what was said about gays.

It seems 10 years ago he would have been dragged through the mud because of his black-comments, today that gets largely ignored, and he gets bashed for his gay-comments instead. Sign of the times? Evidence that this isn't about being offensive, it's only about being offensive towards gays?

Am I alone in feeling like it's incredibly odd that his black-comments are largely ignored compared to the anti-gay ones? Why no massive backlash from the black community and leaders? Is it because those leaders are simply pawns to be used when needed, and they aren't needed at this very moment?

Did they temporarily give up on sowing the seeds of racial division after they feel they failed following the trayvon/zimmerman situation? Or did they feel they were successful and therefore aren't requiring such a thing right now?

It all just seems very strange. "They" (meaning behind the scenes manipulators, whatever name you want to give them) aren't responding to this as their history would lead you to believe. Anyone else feel the same?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
NAACP Blasts Phil Robertson Over 'Racist' Remarks In New 'Duck Dynasty' Row

Link

Now he is getting heat from groups including the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) for racially insensitive comments he made in the same GQ interview.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
When in reality as in the other thread on the same topic, the comments were taken and twisted to fit ones agenda read the whole excerpt then come back and try and label the guy a racist. So many idiots grasping at straws in the media and on here sad that no one takes the time to actually read just jump to conclusions based on some other narrative. Society is pretty pathetic these days.

One mans "opinions" trumps real world problems....... holy hell are we screwed....

SaneThinking

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
in the real world nothing would be offencive

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The people driving this are trying to make it an gay vs Christian thing. Most of the idiots supporting have not even read what he said in paritular the racist stuff they are just letting other people lead them by the nose to in a desperate attempt to stop what is now inevitable. And since the idiots supporting the guy are calling for a boycott of A&E which will be showing an entire season with the guy still, what would the NCAAP (and GLAAD as well) demand? They would demand a boycott of this next season. Now they do not have to because the people who support him are already calling for it. Add that to the idiots demaning to get back and buying up in droves of anything Duck Dynasty driving more profits to A&E and you have the one of the most confused group of people ever. They are so damn stupid they are do the bidding of both GLAAD and the NCAAP and making A&E some nice extra cash. I swear this one has me LMAO!!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
We were duped...

They use the Duck Dude to divide us while they steal our Liberty.

From this point forward it's a Duck Free Christmas.
edit on 23-12-2013 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I don't think we need another thread to P&M about the same old racial crap.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Restricted
I don't think we need another thread to P&M about the same old racial crap.

Why not? Apparently the agenda is to divide the ATS membership and American society in general, along sexual, racial, political, religious and even psychological lines.

The community has ceased to be a community and is now fragmented into countless pissing matches about anything and everything.

No body seems to care so we might as well revel in the crap hole we have created. Let's make more gay bashing threads and why even bother to hide the overt racism. And those Femanazis...trash em. Us vs Them....right?
Even the mods can join in....oh yeah, they already have!

So if it's an internet cesspool you want....Let's play

Merry Christmas......

edit on 23-12-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

haven123
in the real world nothing would be offencive

Is that a sign of how far removed from the real world you are?

And to the guy above you.. One man's opinion, when given a platform as he has, rallies all his supporters in agreement, and you end up having a bunch of people embracing his opinions.

Would you be ok with the KKK or black power guys on tv given air time to express their opinion to their followers? Instead of treating their ignorance like the backward stupidity that it is and letting it die the slow death it deserves?

ahh you know, don't answer that. given some of the things I've read in relation to this, I don't want to know the answer.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The squeaky wheels of society are making noise gain...
the media exploits the cries of the "victim" mentality element of society and the government uses it to divert attention away from their scandals.. Rinse and repeat until their desired level of control on the populace..

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The Bible says things like, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and, "Judge not lest ye be judged".

How is it that fundamentalist Christians don't see Phil Robertson's hateful and insensitive condemnation of sexual and racial minorities for the bigotry that it is?

He might call himself a Christian but there's nothing remotely Christ-like here.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It's about people buying a large volume of near useless stuff made in China. A handful of people make much money off that merchandise and commercial air time.

Support the Chinese economy, not the US.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The problem here is the same old song and dance.

The right disagrees with what the left does.

The left attacks what the right thinks.

Stop supporting these games by participating in this crap.
There are more important things going on in the world than what an old man thinks of homosexuals or of blacks or of the bible. He has opinions just like everyone else on the planet but he's one of nearly 7 billion.
Guess what? About 5 billion of them probably agree with him but they really don't care either.

The gay revolution is all over but the shouting. Homosexuals are legally allowed to do their thing and gay marriage is slowly becoming accepted in society and legally as well.
The civil war was over a century and a half ago. Deal with it.
Women have all the rights that men have ...like it or not.
Christmas has been expunged from damn near everything and people still celebrate it no matter how much the left tries to wipe it out.
Abortion is legal and more than 50 MILLION babies have been legally put to death by tolerant choice since the seventies ...in a country with only 330 million. That means that nearly one in 3 American women is a murderer. A 50,000,000 body count beats every mass murdering regime in history hands down. That's a VICTORY for the left!
The country is printing money so they can pay a third of our population to sit on their asses and do nothing. People get paid trillions that the taxpayers don't have so that they can vote once in a while to force the taxpayers deeper into debt. That's a HUGE victory!

THE LEFT HAS WON EVERY BATTLE THEY HAVE SET OUT TO DO BUT STILL SEEM TO THINK THEY ARE LOSING THE WAR. They scream bloody murder whenever anyone speaks his or her mind and disagrees ...or can be construed as disagreeing ...with any facet of their overall agenda.

WHY?

Because they don't CARE about these things.
Getting to have or do something means nothing to them in the long run.
All of these victories are hollow and bitter to them because they are still deeply unhappy.

The left hates each other as much as it hates anybody else. It simply uses who it wants. Once the right is gone then the left will cull out a group in their herd and eliminate them. Then they will do it again, and again, and again until there are no dissenting views, no opposing ideas, only a single , monotonous acquiescence.

Only one goal is suitable for the left. It is the only thing they see as being real and purposeful.

They want to own and control what you THINK.

This is why Phil is under such scrutiny. Not because of what he's done but because of what he thinks.
His opinion, and most of your opinions, are not acceptable to the media elite and the leftist agenda because they do not conform.

Conform or perish.

That is the only goal of the left.

And when they get what they really want, they will be the most miserably empty creatures the world has ever seen.

Be yourself.
Speak your mind.

When the left tries to silence you, speak louder. Pity them. And move on.
edit on 23-12-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Does anyone really give a flying duck about this anymore? Stop being fooled, do not waste your time thinking about it. This is exactly what they want.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

No, dammit. Just no.

Quote me what he said. Then tell me what offends you. Is it that he shared his recollection of what he experienced? Should he not share personal experience?

What is it that makes you angry about that?

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ImpossibilityOfReason

Exactly. MSM takes something that shouldn't be a big deal, blows it out of proportion, then suddenly it's the biggest topic on ATS for a week. I could list at least five threads that should have gotten allot more attention (in respect to things that actually affect us) than this DD/MSM sideshow for the masses.

I've been trying to steer clear of these threads, but honestly I'm getting sick of seeing them now.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I think badgerprints sums it up pretty well above. It's always a fight based on values. Even when silent we speak loudly about what is and is not acceptable. Watching music videos that promote the GLBT lifestyle - that's ok but someone being honest about his thougts on the matter - not ok.

It's about bending people to a new norm. What people find offensive/what they stay silent about - as long as people are aware of what is happening (and not just with this but everything that is either accepted or punished by society).

This Duck guy - my son likes the show and I have no interest. But if someone can be honest yet respectful - I say reward that. Too many liars in this world.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

rupertg
The Bible says things like, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and, "Judge not lest ye be judged".

How is it that fundamentalist Christians don't see Phil Robertson's hateful and insensitive condemnation of sexual and racial minorities for the bigotry that it is?

He might call himself a Christian but there's nothing remotely Christ-like here.

Way to take the Bible completely out of context. Maybe you need to try to understand what is being said before you speak on it ....

As to what Phil said ...

1Cr 6:9
Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

Now as to his comments on black people, he basically gave HIS experience and said HE felt HE was in the same boat as the black people he knew. Whether it is true or not is another discussion, HE felt it was true because of his own circumstances.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

What about his remarks on black people? That wasn't a personal opinion, that was a historical inaccuracy, this comment seemed far more offensive, I'm a staunch anti-PC person, but that comment seemed far, far worse than what was said about gays.

Well, here's another reason to be anti-PC: you got tooled. These folks may be underhanded, yes, but they are insanely good at it, so you have to tip your hat to them for that. You say it was a historical inaccuracy and not a personal opinion? Well, it was more a personal observation than opinion, but let's not quibble. Instead, let's parse:

“I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I’m with the blacks, because we’re white trash. We’re going across the field.... They’re singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, ‘I tell you what: These doggone white people’—not a word!... Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues.”

What do you notice immediately? There's no context. The quote is just hanging in the air and we don't know what he was responding to. (Now, with all the heat AE and glaad is getting, nobody is questioning the role of GQ in this railroading, but I digress.)

So, Phil relates his personal experience as white trash working alongside the blacks from his parish. He says they were not bitching and moaning, but were godly and happy. Did he say this about all blacks? No. Just the ones he worked alongside.

And you have him down for a historical inaccuracy. Why? Because you were led to such a conclusion by the implications of a hanging quote sans context when you have no clue as to what he was responding to. What if it was something like, "so, did you witness any of the savage treatment that many blacks experienced in the pre-civol rights era?"

I'm not saying it was, I'm not saying it wasn't. I'm just saying the quote sans context was manipulative and given your response, I'm saying it did its job. And the ibs article that was mentioned takes the nose-leading a step further and the quotes from the letter from the naacp and hrc is a slam dunk of pc offense. And remember, all of this is from one hanging quote sans context. That's the beauty of the pc madness, whether the lgbt wing or the racial wing, it doesn't have to be accurate, just emotive so as to spark the OUTRAGE:

Here are the racially insensitive comments, which suggest he believes that black people in pre-civil rights-era Louisiana were not treated badly, that have offended many:

[Phil’s quote]

The NAACP and HRC were offended by the remarks, and they sent a joint letter on Wednesday to A&E that is drawing wide attention for calling out both the racially insensitive and homophobic comments Robertson made in the article, calling them "racist, homophobic and ill-informed." Here's a portion of the letter:

"As you may know, Phil attacked both African Americans and LGBT people in a recent GQ interview (January 2014) – saying that African Americans were happier under Jim Crow laws, and equating being gay with bestiality and promiscuity," the groups wrote, adding, "These remarks go beyond being outlandishly inaccurate and offensive. They are dangerous and revisionist, appealing to those in our society who wish to repeat patterns of discrimination ... Mr. Robertson claims that, from what he saw, African Americans were happier under Jim Crow. What he didn’t see were lynching and beatings of black men and women for attempting to vote or simply walking down the street."

A&E has not set a timeline for deciding when or if Robertson will return to "Duck Dynasty," but it appears that he has a lot of explaining to do if he hopes to be back on TV anytime soon, though many of his fans and supporters have defended him and called for boycotts of A&E and signed petitions calling for him to be reinstated.

Well, turns out, Phil didn't have and 'splaining to do and the OUTRAGE didn't work out the way glaad planned and the naacp didn't even get on the radar as the entire cycle was about people supporting Phil. Looks like they touched the wrong nerve.

posted on Dec, 24 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

The Bible says things like, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and, "Judge not lest ye be judged". How is it that fundamentalist Christians don't see Phil Robertson's hateful and insensitive condemnation of sexual and racial minorities for the bigotry that it is? He might call himself a Christian but there's nothing remotely Christ-like here.
reply to post by rupertg

I find very little that is Christ-like everywhere I go. Bigots will be bigots and racists will be racists. Sinners will also be sinners and there's not a thing anyone can do to change that.

To answer your question, Christians are taught that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Rom. 3:23
Phil Robertson's faith - what he says and how he lives his life - is between Phil Robertson and God. You're free to judge Mr. Robertson and call him a bigot, but don't expect the same of Christians.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join